1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where should I Start?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Madmike, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

OK....
    I am a firm believer in figuring it out your self , but I am kinda stuck here and still kinda new at Tuning/Fixing.

My 1989 RS 125 blew a huge hole in the expansion chamber. I asume it was a crack first because I noticed some exhaust smoke coming from under the fairing. Like a dummy I road it around the block any ways thinking I would fix it when i got back from testing the brake work I just finished.

I never made it home....under power that is. I pushed the bike home.

The bike was running ok then all of a sudden.
    Blahhhhhhhh dump clutch Blahhhhhh dump clutch Blahhhh ok stop bike check fuel, pull tank and check to see if plug is in place, all seems well enough. NO start, push home. Get home notice huge hole in expansion chamber, plenty of fuel , good plug, test for compresion with bike in gear, seems good in second and third. Pull plug seems it was burning good. Check kill switch , NO shorts all seems well enough. Bike still wont Start. Also checked fuel line and air flow out of fuel cap ( had that clogged once and learned the hard way ).

OK now im lost.
    Any help would be great.
    Ill answer any questions if I did not explain it here.
    Thanks in advance
    Mike Spanola
    Florida
    [email protected]

Is it possible for the bike not to run or want to start if the hole in the chamber is big enough, and/or could i have blown a Reed and that cause it NO start/NO run?

I would rather learn how to fix it myself with help than always pay a shop to do my dirty work for me. Thats why I got into the RS was to learn how to ride/race and learn how to work on my own machine's.....

[This message has been edited by Madmike (edited 04-21-2002).]

2. RB

RB Well-Known Member

Spark ????

NEW plug ???

Then check the reeds.

Ray

3. Stu

Stu Country Member

The old exploding expansion chamber trick. This is pretty common on pre 95's. As you say this would have started off as a crack. The reason is vibration. You need to keep on top of the front engine mount change schedule. Every 300 miles I think? Its easy enough to do yourself. Also ALWAYS use 2 springs per side , and replace the crinkly metal seal regularly. If you've ridden in the wet, dry the pipe down and give it a wipe with WD40. Check none of your exhaust mounts are holding it in an 'un-natural' position ( [​IMG] ) Once they start to crack, it is usually time for a new one, as they don't seem to last well after repair. As for it not starting, I'd have thought a big enough hole in the exhaust could easily reduce the back pressure enough for it to mess up the fuelling.
    Good luck!

4. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

Stu,
    Right on the money....
    What a mess. First I blew a whole in my Joint chamber last month on my 89' set up.

Mount my spare 91' set up and have a blast at the track.

Then I blow a whole in my 91' Expansion chamber.

So now Dr. Frankenstein has mounted a 91' Joint chamber to a 89' Expansion chamber with my old 89' racing pipe. With new spacers, gaskets, and bushings.

End result: Pressure back, fuel/air back,
    Lift off in time for this weekend @ NFMP.

Now I have decided its time to break down and spend the money on a Whole new exhaust set up and quit using rotten 10-12 year old joints and expansion chambers.

Maybe I will weld my old stuff together for a fast fix at the track , but not for permanent racing. Buy a new one and use my 2 ancient set-ups as welded backups only.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Mike Spanola

Btw: I will consider all offers on any exhaust setups for a 1989-1994 RS 125.
    New or really good shape only please.
    Email to [email protected]

5. Stu

Stu Country Member

Glad to hear you got it sorted. If you're going to buy a new system avoid the 1 piece ones, they dont last any better, and are a pain to mount. (Bitter experience of a JHa kit pipe)