1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whelp...........adios eBay

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Dec 2, 2020.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

New Managed Payments policy on eBay (it had a tiered rollout in 2020) requires you to set up a direct banking account to receive payments instead of managing payments through Paypal etc.

Been selling successfully on the platform for almost 20 years, but today it's time to say goodbye.

It was a good run.....

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why? If you set up a small bank account that you can transfer out as soon as the money clears what's the issue? Aren't you saving the Paypal fees?

I've never used Paypal so I don't know.

3. NemesisR6

You still get charged fees close to what they were before with eBay+paypal. Average was around 13%. With the new system it's still around 12.5%. You only see decent discounts if you sell enough to get up to the higher "tiers."

The new system is probably, on the whole, better for folks who run a good portion of their business on eBay, but for Joe Schmo's like me who just sell things occasionally, the new system is a real PITA.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I need Ebay for Aprilia/Ducati parts, etc, but am abandoning the platform for electronic stuff. I just went through 3 days of trying to sell a Macbook Pro. Zero feedback bidders from Russia, Kyrgyzstan, etc ruined my auction within 24 hours. I excluded international shipping and bidders for a relist, but happened again immediately. Ebay does nothing to protect you from these hacks. Screw them.

Shocker and ducnut like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What are you going to use in it's place? Something like facebook marketplace (I know less about this then Ebay) and the BBS for motorcycle parts?

I can see going around Ebay and paypal entirely. Use Venmo for payments, does facebook market charge to use it?

NemesisR6 likes this.
  6. NemesisR6

That is exactly what I've been doing. Facebook doesn't charge anything, but you are limited in reach for some of the more specialty items. Plus you are certainly less protected from a buyers point of view, hence most sales I've done have been in person transactions. Venmo, Paypal, and Apple Pay are pretty good in this regard. I've only shipped items a few times, and mostly for low $ items.

7. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What's with the international bidders? Driving the bids through the roof (with no intention of paying) in order to deter potential buyers? Haven't been on Ebay in probably a decade so I'm not up to speed on the goings on of it these days.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I checked on Armslist today to see if there was anything interesting for sale and found a rifle I liked. Tried to ask the guy for info and Armslist redirected me to a page that said I have to open an account now ( at $3.99 per month) to even ask a question about an item for sale. Bye Armslist.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

They "win" then claim the goods never arrived or were not as advertised.
    They keep the goods and ebay gives them $$ back out of your account.

Kinda fuckt, actually. Had it happen with a couple of (fortunately inexpensive) watches before I excluded all foreign bidders except Canadia.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They return an empty box to you and get a refund from Ebay on the entire sales amount.

BigBird likes this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Really? So even if you just wanted to sell a couple things they wont let you use paypal....Guess I wont be selling the stuff I have to get rid of there.

Now back to CL and facebook marketplace....all of it sucks with idtios and low ballers bugging you.

edit...I bought stuff on there way before paypal...you would send people a check or MO...thru teh mail....gasp. My first account name was my email. They used to make that your username....thats how ebay OG I am.

12. Jedb

post up any watches you are selling in the watch thread, please..

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I will Jed...Ill Pm you. I have to see how much I like the Omega and see what I want to sell.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You in the market again already? :D What 'cha looking for?

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm having good success with Facebook Marketplace. I've figured out that people are impulse buyers... they don't do their research. I figure out my bottom dollar, add around 10%, to it, then start dealing with all the lowballers. I'll knock off the 10% to make them feel like they're getting a deal. Seems to work.

16. Jedb

Still wearing the 112 & loving it. :clap:
    Just thinking in general if there's a deal. :)

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

they also used Western Union wire transfer ;)

18. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I only use ebay to buy, never to sell.

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I don’t see the big issue. I already have a checking account for PayPal only. That way they can’t try to take money out of main account etc. I would just target that account to receive payments next time I sell something on the ‘Bay. I use USAA so no fees and it takes me like 30 seconds to open new accounts. Just have to keep at least $1 in there to keep it active. I suggest the issue is the bank you’re using if it’s not that easy for you.

BigBird likes this.
  20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I do it the same way. Best guide for pricing on used stuff is the eBay sold listing search. If selling locally I just advertise the median value + a few %, then parrot Mongo and tell all text message negotiators “No”. :crackup:

I’ll negotiate a little bit in person, as long as they show up on time with cash in hand.

motion likes this.