1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Weight sticker removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by piper907, Feb 29, 2008.

1. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

Has anyone found something that works well for removing the sticker foam left on your wheels from wheel weights?
    I have been using GooGone for a while but it doesn't work as well as I would like so I gave up on removing the old sticker residue from my wheels for a while...
    I am going to run out of room to put wheel weights on these wheels pretty soon:eek: , so i guess it's time to clean 'um up...
    What are you using?

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Laquer thinner

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

pocket knife

4. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

kerosene, denatured alcohol, brake cleaner, PPG DX330, gasoline, acetone, all work. just dont rub real hard with the brake cleaner.

5. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

3m adhesive remover. Wurth also has something called CLEAN SOLVE.

Both work real well

6. flounder

flounder Bi-Polar Genius

WD40....

7. piper907

I have also used brake cleaner and denatured alcohol, and WD40 but none have worked very well for dissolving the adhesive (IMO). I think I will give the 3m stuff a shot... THANKS for the replys!

8. mq105

mq105 Well-Known Member

I use Goof Off. You can get it at the hardware store. It works for rubber, grease, and bugs on fairings too.

9. zepper252

zepper252 Well-Known Member

Extra strength 409 cleaner/degreaser. Also concentrated Simple Green.

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

NextDimenson Brake Cleaner, and it won't eat paint or plastics.

11. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Bingo! Great stuff. Used to be able to get it locally but now I have to order it online and have it shipped in.

Anyone know what retailers around Birmingham might carry it? I need to look for some more when I'm down at Barber and hopefully stock up.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i use Zep Brke Wash. it evaporates fast, and is flammable as hell tho, but doesnt hurt paint, plastic(or your eyes, as occasionally happens...).

13. mq105

mq105 Well-Known Member

14. SMR123

SMR123 Well-Known Member

catchup...it's he business. Honest

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Vanity. :)

If you ran something other than Dunlops your wheel weights wouldn't have to be moving around so much. :P

I have used brake cleaner and it works well...the only issue is it harms the paint on the wheel.

16. piper907

Yea... I guess you are right, If I ran something other than Dunlop tires I would probabally spend less time on the track and more time repairing my bike:p ... I would have bigger issues to deal with than getting gunk off my wheels.:up:

17. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

18. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

I can get you as many cases as you like, cheap. Not too keen on shipping it though. Our mechanics refuse to use anything else. Opie because it cleans so well and Bill because the smell doesn't give him a headache like the other ones do.

Friendly note for everyone else: after you get the tape off please don't hit the wheels with Honda polish (which I can also get the orginal stuff by the case because guess what: made by same company!). The wheel weights and tape won't stick to a bike cleaner in a can wheel.

19. piper907

Awesome!!!
    Thanks for all the great replys!
    I recently found that MOTOREX brake cleaner works fairly well... But I am going to try the Next Dimension stuff as well:up:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  20. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I'll shoot you an e-mail next time I'm coming down that way. Thanks!