1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheee!!!!!! 1st time to VIR

Discussion in 'General' started by gpwannabe, May 20, 2002.

1. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

Here I go, busting my cherry at VIR at the Jam!

Anyone know the general elevation of the track(feet above sea level) for jetting information?

2. willie

willie Well-Known Member

elevation

I just looked on a quad sheet. Its about 500' maybe a little more. Hope this helps.;)

3. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

Thanks much, I looked at the aerial photos on the website and my sphincter is already mining seat foam!

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Since you've never been there before I highly recommend doing a track walk on Wed night (or whatever night you get there) or taking a couple laps on a bicycle. There are a lot of blind turns and most people have been there so you'll want to know which way the turns go.

It was quite messy last year during the Cycle Jam as a lot of people hadn't been there and didn't know which way the turns went. :eek:

Not only is it a great layout, it's also a great facility. You'll have a great time and will be hard pressed to stop smiling all weekend. No need to say enjoy it, as I already know you will. ;)

5. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I second that. Also, if you can, grab someone who has been there before and get a tow around. VIR is a very technical track and when you come back in after your first session, you'll scratch your head and say "what the f*** was that?!?"

6. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

I will defenitely be doing a couple of laps on the bike when I get there Wed night.

7. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Now you've got me worried.
    I too have never been. I was going to go Thursday night, but I hear there's just 1 morning practice session for the likes of me - and thats not worth the day of vacation for. So I'm arriving Friday night instead. My plan was to practice in the am and then race.

So how realistic is that for a novice 600 like myself? Will a bicycle tour suffice or am I asking for trouble?

The alternative is not to ride at all, so at this point I'm taking the Sat am first ride option.

pd - why is there not more friday practice?

8. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Only limited practice on Friday because the endurance race starts at noon. There will also be practice on Saturday and Sunday for the sprints.

9. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

1. a novice 600? what is the likelihood you'll make it around the track anyways? so don't worry about track time. ;) JUST KIDDING!

2. If it were me, I'd be there on Thursday for the practice day. Many people have just done a few practices and raced, but I'll tell ya, I wouldn't want to do that. the course is technical, tough to pass on, and the more track time before you race you have, the better. it's a lot to swallow in just a few ten minute practice sessions. are you running a 30-minute race on saturday? use that as your practice...take it easy and have fun and get to learn the track...that'd be my suggestion.

3. Endurance races are on friday, thus the less practice time scenario for the club races.

10. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Yeah, what she said. Take the day off and do the practice on Thursday. It is a narrow and technical track, but it's not impossible to learn. Just be smooth, and be willing to ask questions of other riders. (I've found Aaron Stevenson to be very approachable and helpful.) I did my very first race weekend there, and I lived!

11. WERA29

Um, this is a WERA weekend, not CCS. ;) There are no Solo 20's on Saturday as it's all Sportsman sprints. Sunday is National Sprints.

As for your question Mark B, it would all depend how long you've been racing and how comfortable you are learning new tracks. If you can make it on Friday and do at least 1 practice session, then watch the endurance race from various points on the track I'd say go for it.

You can always ride around on a bicycle at lunch and walk the track Friday night before practice on Saturday. Between that and 2 practice sessions on Saturday before the races you should be fine. At least show up, ride the track and decide if you're comfortable enough to race on it.

Since most people have been there already it shouldn't be as much of an issue as the first time we were all there and nobody knew the track. There were several multi-bike incidents in practice because people were turning left when they should have been turning right and weren't taking the time to learn the track like they should have been.

12. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

Just go when you can, take your WERA practice and roll.
    I know it takes time to learn a track, but that is a racers job...ride it, take mental notes and then give it your best. Just stay within your limits.

13. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

you'll learn, I just call them (whether CCS or WERA) the long races. ;) I forgot there aren't any solos...damn...glad I'm gonna be at the practice day. :D

14. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

What a helpful lot you all are - thanks for the advice.

Basically, I want to learn enough about the track pre-race, so that I will be running at a pace that would not be considered dangerous to others.
    However, I am new - my first race was the Talladega round (best lap 1m10s - so not exactly pace setting), but I would hate to miss out, and want to learn the track so that I can capitalise on it all next season, when I hope to be competative.

I'll take the advice about bicylces and watching etc, but I think I will not be there on the Friday for the limited morning practice - so Saturday is all I will get.

And as LAG puts it -
    "1. a novice 600? what is the likelihood you'll make it around the track anyways? so don't worry about track time. JUST KIDDING! "

Exactly...why am I worrying? I would be far better of practising the track by simply running full tilt at each crash barrier, while launching myself at the gravel. - No sense in damaging my bike, I'll leave that in the pits.

In fact - why damage my leathers and waste the weekend at the track? I think I'll lie under the electric garage door and spend an hour getting crash practice.

...and you think I'm joking...

Look out for me - for your own safety. I'll be on the white F2 (pos) #701. And yes, I'm going to keep wearing my Ed Bargy shirt for you all.

15. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

You'll be fine...it's ok to be slow, just be consistent and predictable...predictable...predictable.

I have to make jokes about you being a novice 600 because you left yourself wide open for that one...I'm just glad that you took it so light heartedly...I'm sure there are some out there going "who the *^(& does that &(&(*_#@ (^*&*@ think...blah blah blah" :D

Just have fun. You'll learn the track in no time...and just remember, the faster you go, the more laps you get in practice. tee hee hee...just kidding!

16. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Yeah, Mark. The track is an absolute blast. Go out there and have a ball. You'll be grinning ear-to-ear the whole weekend.

17. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Or at least from ear to cheek if you hit T7 wrong. ;)

Don't worry, nobody will choke you for turning the slowest lap time. Except maybe myself, since I sort of cherish that position. :D

18. Looks like there's going to be a huge race for last place. I know the track very well, so I know just how slow in each corner I can go without falling over from lack of momentum :) I carry a couple of cinderblocks and 30' of rope to toss off the back in case I get going too fast down the Rollercoaster. I hope that doesn't bother anyone.

Since there's probably going to be a bazillion black Cornerspeed shirts out on the track I think I'll wear a Hawaiian shirt instead. Look for the incredibly sluggish but fashionable blot of colors :p

19. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Looks like we'll be banging elbows and un-stuffing each other for last place :D I will keep an eye out for the cinderblocks tho. My machine has a tendency to bog if I make any sudden movements.

I once caused a racer to stall waiting for me to get through the turn. I'd get off and push my bike through the turn, but I think that's illegal. I had a cornerworker on a 10-speed stuff me once. That kinda pissed me off. It's the passing riders responsibility to make the clean pass.
    I'll be easy to spot too, with my hippie colored rubber band dye shirt.

20. WERA29

If you were doing 10's at TGPR then you'll be just fine. LAG hit the nail right on the head when she said to be smooth and consistent. And the green shirt will guarantee you won't get passed too close. ;)

Glad to hear you're going and most importantly, HAVE FUN! :D

T o m