1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with the motards?

Discussion in 'General' started by atl_hooligan, Jul 8, 2004.

1. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

Are we ever going to have enough people to run a motard only class?

They look like a blast to race. I'm thinking about picking up a CRF450 and racing it next year. Isn't Honda coming out with a SuperMoto version for 2005?

:D :D :D

2. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Basically, the supermoto class is dead. Why? Well, all you are really doing in WERA with a Super Motard is essentially road racing a dirt bike. It's by no means true Super Moto. Most guys like ourselves are using Super Motos in their proper settings - on a Super Motard track!

Hell, by the time you set a CRF450 up for Super Moto or road racing like you guys want, you could build an SV and have a better time riding on a road course. Plus, the SV is less likely to explode a crank like a CRF tends to when running at full rpm for long periods at a time...

3. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

so there is no more motard class? I am building one right now!!!:mad:

4. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

There is still a motard class and most motards run Clubman too. :)

5. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

Hey, I just noticed you're from Mt. Gilead. I grew up in Mt. Gilead/Galion!

So which club is doing real SuperMoto?

I do Endurance now, but thought a Motard would be cheap for sprints next year, plus they look bad ass!

6. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

the only screw up that WERA made was they split the class expert and novice. they should have left it combined, then there would be respectable grids.

as far as the 100% pavement goes. it suits me fine, I'll be 50 tis year, and I don't do dirt, and I don't do jumps! As far as overeving engines goes, it amazes me that a motarder would show up at any road-race track, and not have the absolute tallest gearing possible. On my KTM, I run a 17 front (biggest you can), and a 37 rear (smallest possible) and with the 150 rears I run, its perfect for Summit and VIR.

7. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Small world, eh? If your ever back, let me know and we'll get you to the Motard track. It is in Circleville, Ohio - about 20 minutes south of Columbus. Local AMA FAST guy Mark Burkhart built a dirt section off the local cart track and we officially have a practice place for true motarding.

Mark did a stellar job and thanks to him, we have a place to ride and train...

8. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

See how it is.....you can't make everyone happy. At least WERA was nice enough to make a motard class period.

9. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

And WERA was nice enough to accept the additional entry fees created by a motard class.:Poke:

10. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

You do know that on most weekends they probably lose money on that class.....buying the trophies in advance and noone showing up....

11. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

blowing cranks.... [Did I actually say that!?]

Brian is alittle upset that he keeps putting KLOTZ oil in his motors and blowing his cranks...

Please tell me he at least puts over I quart of oil in the bike before he races!

The impression I'm getting is that the Supermojo Grids are NOT full? Is this true?

And Brian, would you consider Nelson Ledges a motard friendly track? The potholes. The pavement. The mud in the pits.

12. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

At certain tracks the grids are good...I think Road Atlanta probably didn't have alot of them because of the long straight.

13. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Them motards would never do well at Road Atlanta anyway.

:rolleyes: :D

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I agree! I really would like to start Motard Racing.
    not roadracing a dirtbike.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Not unless they cheated. :rolleyes:

:Poke: :D :Poke:

16. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Re: blowing cranks.... [Did I actually say that!?]

i think my crf only takes .73 quarts

;)

17. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

are you people high?

motard rules baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even at road atlanta:Poke: :clap:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah - that worked so well for 125's....

19. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

:D

20. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

It's a growing class, not a dying class.

I bought a motard bike because it's something different and it really is a lot of fun.

WERA has been great in establishing the class and giving us a regular venue to ride, even if most say it's not true "Supermoto" which it isn't. What it is, is a place to ride, race and tune my bike that isn't 14 hours from my house.

Instead of disparaging WERA, I think a hefty thank you is in order for incubating a new/growing class and losing money in the process.