1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's my domain name worth

Discussion in 'General' started by gixxernaut, Jul 12, 2020.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I've done some google searching and checked a few of the sites that estimate values. It occurred to me that some of you may have gone through this same thing before and I'd like some input.

I've owned the domain name learntoride.org since 2002. For many years I maintained our web presence for the training site (MSF classes). A few years back the college at which we were conducting our classes decided they didn't want "our kind" on their premises. I have to admit their campus looks much more refined without our big, aging CONEX containers filled with scruffy old Nighthawks and GZ250's.

Anyway we kept thinking we'd find new digs but it just hasn't happened. I've continued to renew the domain name in hopes we could get things going again. Someone is contacting me trying to negotiate me selling the domain name to him.

GoDaddy and a couple others estimate the name to be worth around $1400 fair market. GoDaddy claims that learntoride.com sold for over $20000. As Ginger Lynn once remarked to John Holmes, I find that a bit hard to swallow. Be that as it may do any of you have any relevant advice that might help me make an intelligent choice about this?

For what it's worth I'm not inclined to sell. I like owning the domain even if it's just for sentimental reasons and have considered the merits of turning it into a shrine for the training program that spanned nearly 4 decades (started in 1982). But those round tuits are hard to come by.

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Either you think it's a fair deal or not.

Sounds like to me...it might not be worth it at $1400 bucks.

If it were me, is the offer to buy it cover what it cost you to keep the domain for the past 4 decades? If so and you aren't going to use it anymore....I'd sell it.

3. gixxernaut

Thanks, I don't even think I have to "clear" whatever I've paid for renewals over the last 18 years (got the domain in 2002, the training site was running before that but didn't have a www presence.) It more than paid for itself every year in class registrations. I just don't want to give it away, especially if I were to find out this is just a domain squatter trying to pull a fast one.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Won't know until you shop it. If someone wants it bad enough then they'll pay for it.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

See if JU needs it. :)

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Phl218 likes this.
  7. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Just from my limited experience trying to get the .com I wanted for my business it's worth more than $1400.

That's a good addy. I don't think .org hurts it that bad in the context it would be used

8. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Tree fiddy.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I like the 20k idea way better than 14 hunnert.

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

11. Critter

Critter Registered

I would evaluate a URL for purchasing the following ways
    1) Site Traffic
    2) Uniqueness of the URL
    3) How well does it fit with my business,
    4) Search engine rankings
    5) Is there something similar I can get for 7.00?
    6) Where are the competitors ranked and can I beat them with this URL?
    7) Can I kill a competitor with it?
    8) Can I generate immediate revenue with it? Will it shorten my time to market?

I have purchased URL's for $7.00 and $15,000 dollars or more. For you the seller you should be asking your purchaser if any of this is true. Then you can decide to negotiate..

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Tree fiddy

As in $3.50

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Lease it to them. Recurring revenue. Annual fee.

And be sure you have domain transfer locked out. I had someone try to claim they had just last month failed to renew a domain I've owned for 10+ years, and have been the only owner of record ever. They were claiming I "stole" the domain from them. Had to fight them to keep it with the Registrar. Then, after I called them on their BS & proved they were lying, they turned around and admitted they were mistaken and offered to buy the domain. They didn't like my price. I still own it.

14. gixxernaut

Thanks for the input folks. Guess I'll talk with the guy tomorrow and see what happens. Right now I don't think I'm going to be letting it go.

15. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

If you want to see it live on why not update the site to a modern blog with content that newbies could learn from? Could probably monetize it

16. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the name isn't restricted to motorcycles. It could apply to horses, bicycles, etc., which could increae the competition for the domain.

Dragginass and bigtime like this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Could also be a sex ed site.
    Just sayin'.

Sabre699 likes this.