1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's holding you back?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Feb 3, 2020.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I believe there are racers who would like to race again (especially vintage classes) but don't because they will probably not be as fast as they used to be. Most people here will cut us grid fillers some slack as long as we are safe.

There are past racers that post here but don't race. If you're my age, you are probably not going to be as fast as you once were. I have raced in WERA vintage or did track days a few times a year for three years and am now 61 years old. As long as we are safe I believe we are completely welcome. Due to multiple classes being together I may catch up with a better rider on a straight but don't pass so they don't have to deal with me two turns later. I am also careful to hold lines in traffic so if folks need to pass, I'm not an obstacle.

I placed in motocross plenty of times back in the glory days. When I recently started to ride asphalt tracks it was discouraging that I was not at the front like I used to be for motocross. Another issue is I don't race often enough but I hope to fix that.

I don't bring this up to whine, OK some, but I bet there are racers who don't race for the reasons I mentioned above. If our issue is we don't want to go slower than we used to, so what!! LET'S GO HAVE FUN ANYWAY!!
    I tell myself anyone racing a 30 plus year old bike deserves a metal anyway.

2. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

The best part about vintage is bikes are still cheap.
    In V7 classes we dont go that fast.
    And a few F2 and F3s are still cheap to but right now.
    Best part is you wont need to buy a new bike every few yrs to be competitive.
    Need a part, need setup info?
    We will be happy to give you what you need.
    So you are correct.
    Come on out and let's have fun.

Steven

SpeedyE and ToofPic like this.
  3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Money.:D

TLR67, jd41, j cal and 7 others like this.
  4. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Dave, agree with you 100% and hope to see you out there no matter what class you ride. The success of vintage racing is dependent on whether or not it is viewed as achievable. In other words, would a spectator look at it and believe he/she could do it. Part of the allure should be the overall feel of the event. So I've always tried to be nice to anyone who asks questions and interact with all my friends/competitors in a positive manner. Most people are put off by the fact that they can't win a championship because they don't have the best equipment or perceive someone else has an advantage but the fact is most of us would still be stomped and have been stomped by a superior club racer from the era. We had a new guy join V6HW about a year ago and while his first few races were less than stellar he stuck it out and continues to improve by leaps and bounds. First he has a good attitude, secondly he does his research on the bike he owns and continues to improve the machine and his skill every weekend. He may never win a race but he's always smiling and interacting with the group. I feel like he will podium in the future and everyone should be willing to lend their experience and expertise to make this happen. He in turn will bring new participants to the sport. Let's face it a 17 year old kid probably won't build a bike for our class but it would be great if the 40+ year old guy that sees us race says, yea, I can do that. I'd like to see the V6,V7 guys pit near one another and promote the obsolete scene. In the mid to late 2000's we pulled off an epic party at Barber that many still remember to this day. The three kegs and free burgers and dogs may have helped but it also brought in about 5 new racers the following year. In the North they created Vintage alley at Gratten and they all would pit, bonfire, grill and drink together. Make each event a commercial for the fun that can be had and maybe our numbers will increase.

Eboz

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Did Broome steal Eboz’s login info?

:crackup:

ungwaha and VFR#52 like this.
  6. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I WERA raced a FZR400 in the DSB and DSS back around 2005-2007.
    I have (2) #1 plates to show for my efforts of just being at almost every round for my region back then.
    I was around 40yo then... I just turned 53.
    I do handful of track days now... a little more relaxed atmosphere on track than mixing it up with people trying to beat me to a,checkered flag.
    Maybe someday renew my WERA race license and rekindle that racers edge feeling.

7. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

A medical condition AND medication that can cause lack of focus - I've gotten confused as to where I was on the bus! I had a hard enough time remembering my brake markers when I was healthier; the last thing we need is me burning into turn 1 off the front straight, WFO and 2 gears too high ... :eek:

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

If I wasnt medical problematic'd, I would do this in a Heartbeat.
    I can only imaging racing again, on the bikes I learned to race on, 3 decades ago. What I would give to be on a 750 1st gen gsxr, or a slingshot battling other era correct bikes on the track <3
    At this point, I would give anything just to sit and watch the Vintage guys go at it.
    Wonderful :)

9. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Guys, sorry to hear medical problems prevent some from racing. I'm sure that's a bummer.

There's been a lot of talk about the V6,7,8 classes. It's cool that a vintage bike for these groups may need few mods to get on the track competitively. Wera of coarse has the 500 GP, V3, V4 and V5 that still run at all sportsman events as does V6, V7, and V8. An early two stroke V3 is the coolest thing. I like WERA's class structure because it is inclusive.

SpeedyE and VFR#52 like this.
  10. Mushman Racing

Mushman Racing Active Member

I snuck in a V8 race last year at VMD. My first race in nearly 15 years. And even though I ended up on a borrowed bike that I spent all day Friday drilling and prepping and I only got one start for a 4 lap race - (because of the typical Ohio weather) it was still the highlight of my summer. I knew I missed racing but I had forgotten about the camaraderie of the paddock. I'm now Facebook friends with the guy I battled with for all four of those laps. And I've become a fan of Stefano Mesa as he and his dad pitted next to me and my friends at the track. Even though I was pretty rusty in terms of race craft (I got a crappy start, was way too conservative on my passing and was way off my track day lap times) I felt pretty comfortable on track in practice and during the race. Anyway I hope to hit a few more races this year and would encourage everyone else who quick racing because of family, career, etc. to consider coming back out and trying the vintage classes.

dave3593, evakat and SpeedyE like this.
  11. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I'll be bringing my RZ350 out to a few races local (within a few hours) to Atlanta and also the Summit event.

12. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I haven’t been on the track from a competitive standpoint since 2007 and at all since 2008. We moved south which certainly provided opportunities for racing but other issues cropped up. Those are gone now but having been this long the desire doesn’t gnaw at me in the spring like it once did.

I’ll be turning 62 this year but I don’t really consider that a factor if I would choose to return. It would be fun to grid up with some of the old guard again, even if they would disappeared into the distance by the second turn.

13. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

My issue is the distance.

I started racing WERA here in TX, then the South Central region shutdown. I've been racing vintage mx off & on over the years, but if WERA raced a little closer I'd definitely race the vintage classes.

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Enjoy giving extra money to my kids ...... over a plastic trophy..... I will race again, but not to win championships .....but to remember what I used to love ......

15. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

maybe one day again, no race bike now. looking at retiring in the next couple years and riding for a couple of years here and there. probably wont have good insurance either. I miss the camaraderie and friends at the track. I dont miss riding to and from the track in a box van.

16. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Kith, I was a couple blocks from your place last nite, working on a swingarm build for a 350 racebike.

I dont remember exactly where you live, but I know it was close. A 2nd friend, real close to you, I'm meeting at Roebling next weekend.

1 of these guys is in your neighborhood (AHRMA and WERA guy, running a 650 hawk)....the other is on the other side of 154, about 1/2 mile away.

After the swingarm is done, I'll be taking the chassis to GMD. I'd like to make at least a "shake down race" this year.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Im in Houston and travel to Alabama and Georgia to race vintage. Have 3 rail trailer with 1 open rail if you would ever want to go.
    I run only double headers and do 3 rounds + GNF.
    Offer is always open to bring Texas racers to a Wera event

Steven

d_alexand likes this.
  18. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

Next time you're down my way give me a call 404-989-1333. I'd like to meet my racing neighbors, maybe I can help out some or at least get in someones way. I have sometimes nightmares about 650 Hawks that were ridden by Karl & Charlie V :)

CharlieY likes this.
  19. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

1. 2016 was my last race (Mid-Ohio).
      Going into turn one on the last lap a guy lost control of his bike and T-bones me at the Apex. Landed on my right arm and had my tricep tendon torn from the bone. My arm was in a metal brace for three months.
      Also had both hips replaced in 2018.
      Feeling great now. Need to sell our house and need better health insurance. I’m using a health share now.
      As soon as this happens I’ll be back

lizard84 and VFR#52 like this.
  20. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

The Scott McCain I remember woulda raced with one arm and no hips!!!!....then said "Its just a flesh wound!":beer::crackup:

Just kidding of course Scott...I heard about your arm, but had no idea about the Hips.

Good luck with it all man!