1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Should I Expect Out Of This (Toyota Paint Issue)?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Sep 9, 2019.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Vehicle: 2012 Camry XLE; owned (in family) since new.

A few weeks ago, I noticed paint peeling from the front bumper cover. Kind of a bummer, but being I have a bit of a "Darlington Stripe" on the driver's side (due to an idiot on I-285), as well as the car being near eight years old, not a major issue.

Lo and behold, I get a letter today from Toyota. Apparently the color I have (Super White) has had issues. Toyota will be creating a plan to remedy the issue. I will get another letter soon, telling me what they plan to do.

In a perfect world, Toyota would pay to re-paint the entire car, and allow me to pay for very minor body repair beforehand. But I doubt that will happen.

I plan to keep the car for a long time and drive it into the ground. The interior is still flawless. Hence, making the exterior back to 100% is an attractive option for me.

But, in reality, what should I expect?

Your comments welcome. TIA.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I bet if you go talk to the body shop at your dealership you can get the bodywork done on your dime first.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well it is a SS paint that is kinda known to dull out so maybe they will do the whole car? If that's the case might as well do the bodywork too. Might give the body shop some incentive to do it the right way.

BigBird likes this.
  4. YamahaRick

I read on another forum that a 2010 Camry got the same letter. I am now really wondering what their offer to owners will be. I don't expect OEM new quality, but will not settle for Earl Scheib.

Are Earl shops still around?

Earl_Detail_2048x.jpg

5. YamahaRick

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, Earl is still around. Still same high quality I'm sure :D

I'm bummed that our 2008 truck is going to need a respray sooner rather than later. The aftermarket paint on the cap is holding up better than the stock crap :(

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I doubt they are still $29.95...Can't buy rustoleum for that. Bought a half pint of PPG 2 stage (just the base) yesterday and it was 36 bucks.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looks like they got away from the set price deal once Earl died.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They shut down the chain in 2010 (according to wiki)

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think Maaco is the go to for "cheap" now. Next door neighbor did his truck with them. Results were decent, but is was a little over $1k.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's probably a result of the class action against Honda for paint issues on Civics that's been awarded lately. Toyota doesn't want to get sued for similar issues.

12. This. I’m pretty sure they will paint the whole car, if not every customer would complain about mismatch. Damn expensive customer satisfaction campaign (or it could be part of a class action lawsuit, no idea). Just wait until the next letter or call the number, if any on the letter you received.

BigBird likes this.
  13. And to be honest if they are repainting your car due to a paint issue they will expect a factory finish, Toyota doesn’t play around.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

My 92 Sonoma started delaminating around 80K miles. GMC painted the whole truck free. Water based primer they used then sucked ass. Wouldn't let the paint bond to it totally.

Personally I wanted to let the Chevy dealer across the street from the GMC dealer paint it since I knew one of the painters there. GMC said it has to be done at a GMC dealer (seriously its the same fucking truck as a S10 with different grill, emblems and horn button that's it). Well the GMC dealer did a craptastic job on it. Got sanding dust (truck was real teal and charcoal interior) all over the headliner and visor, paint on the rubber weather stripping around the windows, overspray on the tires (that really isn't a big deal but still). Now the fun problems. They took my KC's off the push bar and CUT the wires instead of just using the quick connects behind the grill. They took my flares off then asked when I picked it up if I want to put the flares back on or for them to do it. They took them off, they can put them back on. Apparently me saying they can put them back on pissed off the paint shop mgr since he ended up doing it. Since you had to remove the front wheels to put them on, he (or one of his goof offs) cranked down the ALUMINUM RIMS with a big ass impact. This I didn't find out until 2 weeks later when I went to do the brakes and couldn't get the lug nuts off. Took it to a shop and had them loosen them. They had to resort to heavy duty truck impacts to get them off. They said they had to of been well over 200ft lbs and should had only been 85-95ft lbs. GMC happened to call mid week about how the service was. I told them exactly what I had been through. GMC sent me 2 new hubs, 10 lug nuts and 2 new rims to replace the potentially damaged ones fucked up by the GMC shop. I had the new stuff sent to the Chevy dealer across the street for installation (all of which GMC was paying for).

Now heres where it gets fun. Once the truck was fixed. I used to drive by the GMC body shop mgrs house every day on the way home. He was outside one day when I drove by. He seen my truck and flipped me off. I guess he got reamed. Everytime I drove by and he seen me he'd flip me off and yell something. Of course I had to start antagonizing him by blowing the horn when I drove by his house even at 2am. Best one was doing a burn out in the street in front of his house at 3am. LEft when I seen the front room light come on. Last I heard he is at the Ford dealer here fucking them up (as if they needed help to do that. Ford dealer here is a clusterfuck).

Bloodhound and Sabre699 like this.
  15. YamahaRick

I like your style. I wanna be your friend. :--)