1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do with this bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by R1Racer99, Aug 7, 2015.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I bought an '08 R6 race bike this spring, with spares and some extra parts I'm into it for about $8k. After buying it I found out that the threads for the front sprocket nut had been totally stripped and it would need a new countershaft. I had the sprocket welded on and have been doing trackdays with it, but it's going to need to be fixed at some point.

My question is, what should I be asking for this bike if I try to sell it? Everything else is fine, the motor is in good shape, but should I have the motor torn down to fix the problem, buy a used motor, or try to sell it as is to someone who can fix it themselves?

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It's worth tree fiddy:D

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Wheelie it

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Can new threads be cut on to the shaft?

5. R1Racer99

I've been told no. If anyone has ever heard of this being done while the motor was still in the bike, let me know. Pretty sure it either needs to be torn down to replace the shaft or I could replace the whole engine.

6. Thatdudeguybro

Thatdudeguybro Well-Known Member

If you have a crankcase splitter and the knowledge/know-how, you could replace it yourself. If you take it to a shop, expect to spend a hefty amount of money in labor alone. It may just be a better idea to find a donor and do a swap. I don't have my flat rates in front of me, but I'd be willing to bet a remove and replace on that shaft will be at least 800 in labor alone.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Put a new tranny in it.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't think Bruce Jenner will be any help with this one either.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would just tell the new buyer. Very likely to need a motor rebuild at some point and the shaft can be replaced then. If your sprocket needs replaced between now and then, you should be able to grind/break the weld and put another sprocket on it.

If you are mechanical, then you could do it yourself for the price of a used transmission shaft. I think I have one in a spare blown up motor, if you can't easily find one, locally.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I say eff it and just keep welding new sprockets on as needed. If selling tell the buyer that the bike is so powerful that ordinary means of attachment for the front sprocket are not feasible and it must be fixed in place with weld.

I'm sure you could find a buyer to believe that, i've literally heard worse :)

11. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

With the R6 having issues bending shift forks, the trans will have to come apart sooner or later, just fix it then. Until that time, weld the shit on and run it

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Pull the motor this winter and get it fixed.

13. biggziff

biggziff Well-Known Member

I've got an 05 R6 engine you can buy for cheap. Solve the problem and have spares.

14. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

I have two complete sets of transmission axles/gears in operating condition. The fix isn't difficult. If you like the bike, fix it. I'll sell you a gear set cheap if you'd like.

15. I know Livengood has a complete transmission that is in excellent shape with the exception of a chipped tooth for 3rd gear.

Mine started making some noises and he had a brand new one in his bike. So he pulled the trans out of his bike and put it in mine to get it going for Talladega, then when the new one came in he put it in his bike. So the one that came out of my bike is still there.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Biggziff, how much for your motor? How many miles?

You can PM me if you like.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

What the hell good is that going to do him?

18. R1Racer99

Thanks for the replies, I'll pm you guys with the parts to see how much it might cost me. I definitely don't have the ability to do the work myself, I think my mechanic was saying $600-800 for labor but I'm sure I'd end up putting a bunch more into the rebuild while it was apart.

If this bike was worth $7k without this problem, how much would you guys suggest taking off the price if I sell it as is? Since I can't sell my GSXR I'm thinking maybe I'll just ride that one next year instead.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Subtract the price to have the tranny repaired, plus probably $300-$500 extra at minimum. So based on $7k, if I was looking to buy, I wouldn't pay more than $5500.

2K give you that quote?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  20. R1Racer99

That's about what I was thinking too. And yeah, that's what Kyle was estimating.