1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Leathers Do You Wear?

Discussion in 'General' started by AGVSPORT_Adam, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mrs_cozye

mrs_cozye I'm THAT girl

Is that you, Trever? I meant to tell you last weekend at Tally that is a great looking suit. It fits you well, too!

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Alpinestars...I haven't crashed in them but the fit is great.

3. AGVSPORT_Adam

AGVSPORT_Adam Member

What is everyone's price-range? Suits are expensive, and one might say that there is no price limit when it comes to saving your life if you go down, but honestly, how much is too much $$$ ?

4. 418

418 Expert #59

Anything under a $1000 I find "acceptable".

I find above that you're paying for bling and fit, not necessarily safety.

5. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Not necessarily. The R&D that goes into higher end suits is costly.

A better grade of leather will contribute to the cost as well. High end suits should (note my use of the word "should") be hand grading the leather to use only the best blem free hides that are of a consistent thickness.

There are a number of factors that will put a suit over $1000. To me anything over $1300 for an off the rack suit is a bit much. Custom hand built suits will probably start around the $1300 price point and go up from there based on graphics and increased size of the wearer.

6. CommandoRR

CommandoRR Well-Known Member

RS-TAICHI is what i got. wrecked twice, once was a high side not a scratch on me.

Quality shit

7. darkside879

darkside879 Well-Known Member

I have motogp leathers and they fit and crash well. Two lowsides and not a scratch yet!! I just bought my wife a set of gericke leathers and she likes the fit. Havent been on the track with them yet but alot of people have given me positive feed back about them!! :beer:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Make a suit comparable to RS Taichi and show a cost savings and you'll have to fight people away. I'm not talking about the graphics, I'm talking about the construction, protection and the feel.

Let's be honest about your current suits, they seem to target the street rider and track day dude looking for an inexpensive suit. They're okay enough but for the same $$$ there's better. Your custom suits are expensive.

9. Spyderchick

Pretty much my pick for off the rack suit for the last number of years.

10. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

Even considering the $1800+ price tag for the top end suits?

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

GiMoto Kangaroo Custom Fit...$1800 4 years ago. Crashed in it once and it did a good job but I wasn't on the pavement for very long.

Now I'm starting to shop for new leathers for next year.

12. Shogun rr

Shogun rr body work provider

I use a custom NJK suit and its awesome. I had a turn three crash at willow springs in a teknic suit and blew out most of the seams. I crashed in the same corner in my NJK suit and I just scratched the lettering. Kelsey makes them and repaired the lettering and had a quick turn around. The suits are super comfy and not that expensive.

13. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I recently got a Pilot suit, and am pretty damn pleased with it. I came from A*'s, and have to say that the only thing I don't care for about the Pilot, is that the liner is not removable. I highsided in it a couple of weeks ago (around 90mph), the suit held up great, no blown out stitching. I was very impressed, especially once you consider the price point, with custom colors and logos.

I will buy another!:up:

14. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Have you seen the current retail price of the A* Racer Replica suit?!?! :wow:

Besides the quality of both the build and the leather, the RS Taichi suits can be ordered in Japanese sizing which means you can get close to custom fit from an off the rack suit. My son is tall and lanky (think Chaz Davies) and the Taichi 3L Slim fits him as well as the custom suit that it replaces. :up:

15. Spyderchick

They (RS TaiChi) have good $1100-1300 suits. If I were ever to come back racing, that's what I would buy.

16. -1badr6-

-1badr6- Well-Known Member

RS-Taichi ;) only for me.

-Nick

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

+1

18. rubberducky

rubberducky David Rising 742

Ok, Hooper, where are you getting ahold of this 3L slim fit size? It looks as though it would fit me as well as the custom suit I have and need to replace. Tell me its somewhere stateside?

19. T-revs

T-revs Well-Known Member

Yup...it's me! I just got that suit two days before the race weekend and after one practice session it was good to go!!!

The new Rev'its are great looking and they give a good deal to racers...pm me if interested.

20. Spyderchick

I like the Rev'Its as well. Very good fit and finish, lots of nice features. :up: