1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of helmet should I get??

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadracerR123, May 3, 2010.

1. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Thanks to Chip, I'll keep mine now....:up: I love being a helmet snob :moon:

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

Anyone race with a Shoei RF1100? How does it feel at speed? I tried one on at Iron pony a while ago and it felt heavy.....

3. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

:beer:

4. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

Bell Star!!

5. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

shoei (as long as it fits your head) feels lighter and vents better than my arai's

6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

:stupid:

7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

1) wrong
    2) wrong
    3) wrong
    4) wrong
    5) half right
    6) right

There's a BUNCH of lighter helmets. AGV GP-tech is way lighter, so is the Suomy Extreme which are also on average way better looking if you want somebody else's graphics and that's your thing. OGK FF-5 has better vents, amazing vents, and probably one of the best shapes as far as headshake/aerodynamics goes, and if it had the Arai's liner material, it would be the best helmet ever created on earth. Bell Star also lighter with rad vents. Arai has been riding their hype too long, other people caught up and then surpassed.

8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

not racing but did a track day at road atlanta a few weeks ago. took my new x12, my older x11 (w helmet camera) and my wifes rf1100 (she wears the same size as I do, makes it easier when she says she wants a new lid. :)).

main difference with the new shoei helmets is how quiet they are compared to the older x11. it was always known for great venting but was pretty loud. at least around town (up to 85mph or so) you can get by without earplugs. on the track and for long days I still wear earplugs but the noise difference is significant.

the rf1100 felt find even at the end of the long straight. I only wore it for a session to see how it felt at speed and venting and thumbs up on both accounts.

btw the buffeting on the back straight with the gopro mounted on the x11 was pretty bad. made my neck sore the next day!

9. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

X-11 on closeout. Older build dates but great deals on my all-time favorite helmet.