1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is that fuzzy thing for?

Discussion in 'General' started by hurricanev6, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

You nerdy guys have me worried. I am not buying the 75 dollar a bottle stuff but I do use the MOTUL 660 degree brake fluid. Should I change this stuff after every race weekend? Two race weekends? Every month? Should I go back to the cheapy Bel Ray stuff and change it once a year? I am no demon on the brakes or anything so whats the poop?

2. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

When the color begins to change is a good indicator that water is being absorbed. You should bleed the brakes after every weekend. Complete change of fluid is not necessary with most fluids. Airbubbles form in the caliper and braking is decreased even with a slight amount of bubbles regardless of type of fluid. I make this part of my regular maintenance on the bikes between races like air filters oil filters oil change greasing wheel bearings. Brakes I have always considered the most important part on the bike keep them up to snuff because you will always need to be able to stop fast. If the brakes can't handle the speed the motor puts out then you are in real trouble quick.
    I buy the STP high temp stuff at the auto parts store and it never has gone bad in the bottle. I know you should watch out for compatiabilty issues with some brake fluids DOT 5 for instance. The DOT 5.1 is supposedly compatiable with DOT 4 but I have not used it.

3. dartanian166

dartanian166 Member

I just read this whole topic -- took me four hours, three dictionarys, and a phone call to my brother who is a nuclear physicist?
    UM- if the guy in front of you has it -- go get one !!!!

4. Janie McCommons

Janie McCommons Well-Known Member

Hey Kris, Jeff wants to know what you think...Could he brake in the middle of last week if he changed out that black shit that used to be brake fluid?

5. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

hey just my toughts I used motul 5.1 because someone told me it was good stuff. I was using the high temp. 660motul and notice that the 5.1 had a different feel than the 660 it could be the low temp reading on the 5.1 it worked good at first but by the end of the weekend the brakes started to fad and the fluid was getting darker. I swicthed back to the high temp 660 and have three race weekend on it and it still looks good.if any body has any Ideas about why this happened. I think maybe it boiled and thats the reason. if any body has had this problem.or answers let me know
    thanks Ricky

6. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

I have been using Spectro since the beginning of the season. Now you guys have me worried!!!

Damned BBS... [​IMG]

Ryan