1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is it about the RC51

Discussion in 'General' started by fullmetalF4i, Apr 23, 2011.

1. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

I was >< that close to buying one but bought a Mille R instead, and never looked back.

2. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

:stupid:
    but this guy
    [​IMG]

and for me after watching this race
    [​IMG]

made me want this bike so bad, untill I got it last year... and here is me imagining am the guy above :D
    [​IMG]

3. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

hey my friend also wanted a RC when he saw mine but could not find any, and found a Mille factory just last weekend, how about that :beer:....

I love my RC tho :up:

4. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

When I went to watch my first WERA races at CMP in 2000 and saw the HWT guys come busting through the kink at speed I knew a twin is what I had to have. Bought that Mille R the next Spring and still have it.

:beer:

5. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

I fear the ban sledge hammer :D

This is many years old, but I just put on the gp pipes. The rc51 is street only at this point as throwing her around the track just takes way too much outta me.

I think I have scared a few harley riders as I pass them on the street :D Nothing sounds quit like an rc51. Specially with these pipes!

Took me a while to get rid of the backfiring that you can hear in these videos, I have it 80% better but i still get a back fire here and there.

With baffles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o86brVeQcZ8

Without

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfqksyGVx4

I mostly ride with the baffles in place these days. Everyone says they love the unbaffled sound, but try riding an hour with the mondter noise and it starts giving me a headach. I must be getting old as I like the quiet :D

:beer:

6. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

And by this time next year, today's bikes will be outdated.

But an RC51 will still be cool. :up:

7. newguy

newguy Well-Known Member

I have a nice one for sale in the classifieds. Somebody make an offer.

8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I was looking for one but all were over $5000 so I found a Mille R for 1/2 the price.

9. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

i have the RC51's weaker whimper brother the VTR.

it was my first bike and it got me spoiled. Handled like crap until the f4i front end and even then it sucks compared to my gsxr750 but that bike still gives me a smile evertime i crack the throttle.

10. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

Yep it's one of the most fun bikes to ride on the street and pretty comfortable too. Got mine in 05 and have no plans to ever sell it.

I've always wanted a 51 also. Especially since the Colin and Nicky days.

11. TwinRider79

TwinRider79 Good Ol' One Eye

Started out doing track days on my RC, then picked up a 600rr to start racing. I have 32,000 miles on and have been through 5 other street bikes in the period of time I've owned mine, yet it still is in my garage. I'm with most of you, since the first time I saw and heard one when I was in high school, I was determined to own one. I bought my 01 back in 06 with 5k miles on it. I put it back on the track a few weeks ago at a track day and forgot how much work it was especially at Tally, still a lot of fun tho.

12. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

(With apologies to Junior...)

I have loved some ladies
    And I've loved my RC
    They both tried to kill me
    In various ways you see

But I still love my lady
    And can't let the RC go
    Everyone sees that's just how it is
    'Cause the RC owns your soul.

[​IMG]

13. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

i just watched troy bayliss doc on netflix yesterday and the rc51 sounds awesome. I had a tlr back in the day and loved that bike, just wished it was 600 weight

14. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

I had forgotten why I took the fat pig off the track, so I brought her with me one track day at njmp 2 years ago. Put her on the track in the morning, went about 10 laps and then brought her in and promptly put the 600 back on the track.

Nothing worse then throwing 500+ pounds around the corners of the track. I love the RC but only for a nice leisurely ride on the street

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Threadjack -I know a gentleman here in the Atlanta area who is selling a near perfect RC51 fairly cheap, if anyone's interested.

16. sowega

sowega #710

I'd love an RC. . .if I had never ridden a ZX7R.

17. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I miss my '03.

The RC's looks are pretty timeless for a Japanese bike. They still look good today - not horribly dated like most other bikes of the same era.

The RSV has a very similar look, and it all-around a better bike, but I still have a soft spot for the RC51.

I never did take mine to the track, but I loved it on the street. It was hard, stiff and uncomfortable, but still satisfying to ride.

18. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

That's such a confusing statement. Now if you would have said, I would have bought a ZX-7R but I rode a 1996 GSXR, I would have understood. :confused:

19. Wibbly

Wibbly Well-Known Member

it wouldn't be a cult classic if it wasn't a good bike. and it's astonishing how many people have built the hell out of it. i'll NEVER EVER sell mine. not in a million years.

20. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

Outdated for a modern class but was just indexed into V7hw and I saw one at RRR a month ago running really strong against an old GSXR 750/1100 that has a very capable rider on it. Now the built f3 was as fast but it took a few laps b4 the race winning f3 beat him. Was a good mix to see the big old GSXR against the young well built f3 contender and the RC. The 3 bikes all sounded so different screaming down the straight but put them all together was like music to my ears. I would love to have one myself. 1 of my favorite bikes just behind my dreamer of the 1000RR and the new BMW1000.