1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is happening to our country?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by mtmansl, Apr 8, 2012.

1. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's Baltimore, that's all I can think.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing new. Crowds have been laughing at the misfortune of others for as long as mankind has been around. Hell, one of the greatest entertainments at different times were public executions - they were a fair atmosphere. Mankind in general has always been pretty pitiful and overall pretty damn dumb.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I agree with the part about mankind generally been pretty dumb, but I disagree with the comparisons public executions. I think that people enjoy those because the person being executed is generally a bad apple. And people generally enjoy watching justice (well, let's face it, it really is revenge) in progress. The stuff in the video is something totally different. I don't thing that the average person enjoys watching an innocent man/woman getting a public lynching for no good reason. At least not when it's their own kind. Which brings us to the racial element. If we could find out the answer for sure, I would be prepared to bet that fueled the incident.

Can't wait to see someone accuse me of pulling the reverse race card. :crackup:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They were supposedly bad apples but as we know with even modern technology innocents get executed. The average person didn't really seem to care about the reasons anyway.

Last I read it was a black crowd and white victim. I don't think race plays into as much as it was a poor crowd and to them a rich tourist.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I know that many innocents have been executed (and still are) but what I meant was that from the spectators standpoint, I think it matters to them if they believe that the guy is indeed a bad apple. That's how they reconcile enjoying an execution with their religious/moral beliefs, for instance.

Black crowd, white victim: that's why I mentioned the racial element.
    We will never know what the real motivation was, but my gut feeling tells me that a rich black tourist might have had a chance to get away with just surrendering his wallet.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Jehovah! :D

8. joec

joec brace yourself

its not black or white hate. its tourist hate.

in front of the courthouse? its been on camera since it happened. that entire area of the city is "monitored for your safety by cctv". bs.

thats a pretty nice area of town, by comparison. but like everywhere else here, youre just 2 blocks from the warzone. easy prey on a holiday weekend by the locals.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Joe, what do they hate so much about tourists in Baltimore? Other than the area around the aquarium, do people even visit Baltimore?

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The inner harbor is nice and Fells Point is a lot of fun BUT you can't let your guard down and act stupid or the crocs will snap you off the river bank.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Hey! We have the "Famous Blacks in Wax Museum" That must draw at least 4 or 5 hundred people a year.

(sidenote, ive always wanted to go see if they have an oprah)

12. Donkey1

Donkey1 Well-Known Member

Thats why I carry my ruger lcp 380 in a wallet holster. You want my wallet, no problem:D
    People are to involved in themselves to bother helping someone else.

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Baltimore was a shithole 25 years ago when I had the misfortune of making a wrong turn after gassing up while passing through on I95. I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm not going to say that this incident wasn't racially motivated to start with but it might just as well be that a bunch of local pea brains, doing what they tend to do naturally, decided to beat and rob some innocent person of whatever valuables they had and the crowd simply watched for entertainment.

I would also bet that many in the crowd felt sympathy for the person but would not intervene for fear of being the only one to do so resulting in their own beating or killing. There's strength in numbers but each individual in a crowd doesn't know if he is a member of a group that can stop a beating or if he's one single person that wants to stop it.

What does one do if he's armed? That would be one hell of a decision to have to make. Can you safely stop a beating or will it trigger a hell of a shootout with several people being shot including yourself? Now, if I were armed and I was the one being beaten, then all bets are off. I would, if possible, end up shooting every swinging dick in the area if necessary. (Unless I ran out of ammo in which case I would probably be force fed my sidearm.):)

I think I'll stay out of Baltimore.

15. Blacks see whites as weak and easy targets, compounded by the fact that he may have been a tourist, and this is what you get.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Blacks see whites as an easy target? Seriously?

17. Definitely, see it everyday.

18. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. The shame is not the bad men that acted bad. They know they are.

It is the people that stood by that will go home and think themselves better than the bad men....

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bullshit. The people you see acting like that aren't doing so because of their race. So the color of their skin is a moot point.

20. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Al and Jesse will be right along to denounce this horrible act, right?