1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What fastener is this?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by E-Van, Aug 28, 2022.

1. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

Need to separate the lower fork tube from the axle block to install cartridges for my 2019 R3. Does anyone know what tool I use for this set screw? Is it a Phillips? Allen?

Attached Files:

2. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

Phallen?
    A little heat and a tight fitting allen should do...

3. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

That is four sided not six. Don't use an Allen.
    Also in forks if there happens to be a seal close, I would not use heat.
    If you are careful you might grind around on a Phillips and get a good fit. Do not mess it up or you'll have a real mess.

4. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

That looks like a plug that is designed to be removed with either an Allen key or JIS screwdriver. Either one shouldn't take much torque to remove.

What's behind it? Grease port?

-T

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Isn't that like a jam nut of some sorts in the axle casting of the fork that in part stops the lower leg from un-threading?

6. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

Precisely. Shouldn’t be torqued too tight but from what I’ve read it’s loctited in place so I want to make sure I used the right tool and don’t make a mess of it.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Those are a PITA. It is certainly Loctited. I have the best luck with a small flat head screwdriver bit that fits in the slot and a hand impact tool, after applying heat.

E-Van likes this.
  8. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

E-Van and Nick_OMC like this.
  9. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

That is a metric Allen set screw that is installed with Loctite and then staked.

IL8APEX likes this.
  10. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

Hand impact and heat did the trick for the set screw. Now if only separating the lower was as easy. Somehow the fork leg I had was rusty on the inside and took out some of the aluminum threads with it. I guess practice makes perfect. On to lower #2.

11. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Yep, precisely correct!

12. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if you can take a soldering iron and just let it rest inside for a bit, just to gently soften up the loctite, without destroying rubber seals

13. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

That’s an interesting idea for the set screw. I was talking with an engineering friend and he suggested heat soaking the part in an oven to soften the loctite rather than localized heat on just the axle block.

14. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

The one's I've had apart don't have a rubber seal there.

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

There is O-ring in there, inside knuckle.

E-Van likes this.
  16. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Being that the housing is aluminum it really won’t take much heat to loosen the Sloptite and expand the housing enough to make the removal easy-peasy

17. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

For the set screw yes. Separating the axle block from the tube, not easy. Red is strong stuff. Or maybe I just don’t know the secret technique.

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It wasn't rusty. That was the Loctite. And you trashed the threads when you separated the chrome slider from the stanchion because you didn't clean up the threads where the grub screw peened them over.

dcemotorsports and E-Van like this.
  19. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

Thanks for the guidance. Any tips on how to clean them up next time? That’s not a very big hole.

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Square end mill and a good amount of heat is what I use. 3mm and 4mm. If you use quality tooling, you just touch the threads and it's good. I do maybe 20ish of these a year between R6 and R1.

The Showa forks use a rubber tipped grub screw, so it's not an issue, but Kayaba doesn't want these things to come apart.

E-Van likes this.