1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you use to clean your plugs ?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Rusnak_322, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

What do you guys use to clean your plugs after a plug chop so that you get a good reading next time?
    I usually run rich to begin with and I get some carbon build up.

2. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I just bought a bead blaster for the plugs from Northern for $20.
    Hooks up to air compressor...does the job in a couple of seconds!

Chuck D

P.S. tell Mary I finally made a 3rd place finish at Talladega this weekend. I had 2nd but got passed on the last lap...ARGGG

Are you all going to be at the Summit National?

3. jf

jf Active Member

bead blasting tends to round the tip of the electrode and that's really bad.

laquer thunner and a brush is better but you do need to make sure you have a routine for circulating plugs every so often.

we use three plugs per weekend (dependinghow close we are with jetting) and circulate a new one into the pool every three meetings.

i have a pre-race plug that we use when we're real close (usually after the first session it goes in), a third plug's used as a race-only plug. after three races that becomes the pre-race plug and the old pre-race plug becomes the starting-out plug. that's more than sufficient.

jf

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Not to mention you run the risk of embedding beads in the crevice where the insulator and plug body join.

A plain old wire brush has never failed to do the job for me.

5. tzmike

tzmike Active Member

blaster

the bead blaster is the most widely used . (AMA pits at least)
    It does a great job of cleaning the porcelain so you can get accurate plug readings.
    If the beads are rounding you electrodes, you need to get rid of them. The composite metal is designed to withstand the abuse of combustion and handle all but the most serious of Detonation. The porcelain is what your concerned with in that it needs to be clean to be read. Burn back on the ground electrode to determine timing cleans right up.
    Turn the pressure down, or use the nut shell media when blasting
    and see if that solves you rounding issues.

6. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Re: blaster

I agree, I have been using the blaster for years, no problems, of course the setup is designed for spark plugs and never had a problem with rounding or stuck particles in the plug, there is a setting for media blasting then air blast to clean it out.

7. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

Good job at Tally - we aren't going to Summit, we are broke. :(

Mary got 2nd at Nelsons this past weekend - and her first ever WERA trophy. It looks like she is leading the points in the North Central region now. :cool:

Chuck - What do you need from us for stickers? Email me with details.

Thanks
    Eddie

8. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

We use a bead blasting plug cleaner as well. We blast plugs after every practice session. The blaster is cheap, works great and does not damage plugs. You should be throwing plugs away long before you would incurr any significant wear from the blaster. Our team has probably used the plug cleaner 60-70 separate times this year.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel Aprilia

9. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bead blaster? Here's the problem: I don't have compressed air.

Rodger

10. TwoCycler

Rodger,

Chuck ordered ours and I forgot where he purchased it. It was under $50, but does require compressed air.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel Aprilia

11. YSR64

YSR64 Well-Known Member

12. YSR64

YSR64 Well-Known Member

13. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Rocky and YSR64:

I am now resigned to buying a large capacity air tank to operate bead blaster, fill tires, etc. Does a bead blaster differ from the plug cleaner refered to by YSR64?:

PNEUMATIC SPARK PLUG CLEANER
    This cleaner does abrasive cleaning or air cleaning with just the turn of a switch. Abrasive blasting removes carbon build-up on spark plugs, and the abrasive material is supplied. Simply hook your compressor hose to the cleaner, insert the plug in the opposite end, set the switch for abrasive or air cleaning, push the start button, and get ready to return plugs to a like-new condition. A flange on each side lets you fasten the cleaner to your workbench.
    Air consumption: 15 CFM
    Air inlet: 1/4'' NPT
    Pressure rating: 90 PSI
    ITEM 32860-6VGA

?? Or is it just a function of whether you use sand or "beads"? What kind of beads do you use?

thanks.

Rodger

14. TwoCycler

Rodger,

Once you get the compressor, you'll never know how you got along without it. The cleaner you described sounds like the one we have. Ours came with the abrasive material for cleaning.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel Aprilia