1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you use as a platform under your stands

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Dec 28, 2020.

1. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

For the first time I many years I’ve got a new tow vehicle. In the past I’ve used a sheet of 1/4 inch treated plywood under some carpet to sit the bike with stands. Apparently they no longer make 1/4 inch treated plywood. 1/2 inch is a ball buster and the old sheet is cut to fit the old truck. Thanks

PistolPete likes this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Come again?

You have a new tow vehicle...Got it.

Is the plywood for holding the bike on it's stands during transport, or are you asking about a base in the paddock for the bike to sit while it is on stands?

I'm assuming/guessing here you transport your bike in the bed of your truck, if Pit-Bull makes a TRS for your bike, I cannot recommend that enough and installing a plate in the
    truck bed for the TRS to haul your bike. Then, if you're using plywood as a base to pit your bike on stands, maybe trim the width of the plywood to slide in the bed of your truck beside the bike and put all your other pit cargo in the bed of your truck after the plywood is in beside the bike.

Come to think of it, I may go get me a sheet of plywood for 2021 and cut it in half and do the same thing. Some of the cart tracks we race mini's at, that would be a handy dandy thing to have under the Ohvale stands. Thanks for the idear!

3. kyle carver

St the track. If you aren’t on the asphalt,the plywood makes for easy lowering and raising of the bike. Thanks

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I stand on a platform of low taxes, robust economic growth, and free hookers and blow.

Knotcher, turbulence, 969 and 3 others like this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Pressure-treated plywood, 4' x 8' x 3/4", covered by a lush 5' x 9' short-loop pile carpet. Comfort is King if you have to sit on your ass in the middle of a paddock to do shit to your bike that you shoulda done before you left home. :Poke:

Yes, you'll need a real truck :D or, at least, a trailer that can contain your DIY outdoor plywood flooring.

1/4" is fine on top of asphalt. Flip it daily to curtail warpage from condensation/moisture.

On dirt? 3/8" isn't stable enough without prior grading, but maybe 1/2" will do. Better to go 5/8", at least. And definitely do the flipping for warpage control.

Seriously tho', why be a wuss about it? A full sheet of pressure-treated 3/4" is the minimum, imo, for most any non-paved circumstances. Flip that shit when you toss it back into the truck and just leave it there until next time. (My personal MO).

If you're a real rogue kinda guy that needs to pitch his bike's tent in the sticks, go for 5/4", covered in Rhinoliner, ensuring the weeds and other vegetation gets flattened equally to promote a "graded" foundation. The only flipping necessary will be your wallet, for both materials and the chiropractor. :beer:

Did I mention the need for a real truck? :crackup:

7. kyle carver

Never mind folks, while at Lowes I ask a whippersnapper and he suggested 1/4 inch and just seal it. I felt like an imbecile. Half way home it occurred to me Primer and then paint the IOMs flag on it.

Razr likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So, you're laying plywood on top of asphalt?
    Coulda just used an indoor/outdoor carpet.

9. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I use a pair of semi truck mudflaps.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Anyone seen the price of plywood lately? Holy hell!

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Pics when you're finished!

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Cut the plywood in 2 pieces to make it easier to deal with. I used 2 4x4 3/4 sections. It loaded against the wall of my trailer easy. You could also do 2 2x8 sections if that would store better for you.

13. kyle carver

After way too much thinking, I’m going with Stickboys recommendation. But I am painting a sheet of plywood like the I O M flag to hang under my barn Eve. Thank everyone

stickboy274 and StaccatoFan like this.
  14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That set up worked good for me for years

15. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member