1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What caliber for Bison?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Sep 14, 2017.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

See Spot.
    See Spot run.
    Run, Spot, run.

And your point? Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised to learn you were reading Melville in pre-K.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I thought the Weldon Stone ref was a big enough hint, but it is obscure for sure, Ishmael. :D

I had a large group of colleagues over for dinner last week. They somehow got around to asking what my Dad had done for a living. When I told them he taught rhetoric, they about busted a gut. Of course, my Mom (at 87 y.o.) is still a working bench editor...

Back OT: The plains are nothing like they were during the early 19th Century, and so comparing Bison populations now to then is folly.
    Now back to your regular gun programming. :D

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.

MachineR1 likes this.
  5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Bring something small and lightweight to hit the plates, then use your short barrel .500 S&W magnum pistol for the actual hunting.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  7. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

S&W 460

terminus est likes this.
  8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It's just a freakin hairy cow, and there's a ton of ranch butchers that put them down with a .22.

ToofPic likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then I'll give you $20 to milk one. :D

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Cow or bull?

MachineR1 and ToofPic like this.
  11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That or either a Tau cannon or a Gluon gun. Choose "medium", "well done" or "pulled bison sammich" :D

12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

WAY too small when there is a .500 option.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Here is what the State of Alaska requires for Bison.

1. Rifle/handgun: must fire a 200 grain or larger bullet, which retains at least 2000 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards. A .30-06 with a 220 grain bullet is about the minimal weapon that meets this specification.
    We do know about killing stuff up here. I like my Ruger 375 and it is good for moose and bigger.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Moose (Mooses? Meese? Meeses?), those things make me more nervous than bears.

Where do you aim with one of those, the triangle?

15. condon66

condon66 Member well known

How big do you think the vitals area is on a bison? You don't have to be Chris Kyle to hit them on a bison at 200 yards. 8" radius is sufficient. I'm guessing you don't hunt.

16. condon66

They got them crazy eyes! Ya don't know what their next move is gonna be. Bastards are plumb crazy

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, a buddy of mine from kollege hit one with a jeep grand cherokee. After it got back up it was pissed off. That moose f@cked up that car 5 ways to sunday.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Eh, I'll stick with a 454 for my hand cannon.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's beside the point. My point is you're shooting an animal to kill it, not to wound and/or maim.

20. condon66

Like I said. And, like I thought.:D