1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the newer workout supplements?

Discussion in 'General' started by Clay, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

My daughter is a very dedicated weight lifter, 15yo. She plays softball at a very high level and trains in BJJ. Now that it's winter and softball is out of season, she's hitting the weights hard. She uses a good whey protein isolate and some creatine mixed with it after her workouts. She's trying to work on always eating a good bit of protein and water. Beyond that, I don't know if there are any proven training supplements in the past 10+ years that are shown to make a noticeable difference.

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Nope, none. Lots of shiny advertisements in fitness magazines though.

StaccatoFan and rd400racer like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I bet I can name the five-or-so guys who will be filling most of the next 10 pages.

418, SpeedyE, Funkm05 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Manchester

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I expect Broome to jump in. :p However, keep in mind, this is for a female. Natural testosterone increases aren't bad, but not looking for things made specifically for men. She's not trying to be a man. :D I expect Shakazulu is right though. I am still interested in natural supplements if they are proven to work.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I don't see how anyone can go wrong with regular, traditional foods - like meat and vegetables - in regular portions at traditional times. Don't stuff yourself...you'll screw your metabolism.
    Seriously. Why stress about calorie counting and the rest of the BS of, ooh, did I get enough backbone in my fishfart souffle with nameyoursupplementdejeur, etc?

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, don't be scur'd.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You gonna Manchester me? SPL170db, Broome, JBraun, britx303 (if he's around, I don't think I've seen much recently), not sure who I'll go with for the last roster spot. I'll start ryoung57 for now.

SuddenBraking and busa99 like this.
  9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Fast Freddie has it right ... hard work , Whole Foods , plenty of Sleep . That’s a recipe for winning

SpeedyE and StaccatoFan like this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

New?

I'd say probably the only real newish stuff out there are SARMs and SERMs.

12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I just wanna watch the purse fight. It’s a slow day.....

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Hmmmm. I was going to post but now I’m not so sure.

busa99 and HPPT like this.
  14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

When I say "new", I'm saying in the past 10 years. I've seen fads come and go, but the last real "breakthroughs" were whey protein and creatine. Then they were just refined for better absorption but that's the last real stuff I've heard of.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

At 15 your endocrine system is cranking so the only thing you really need is good nutrition. Make sure shes getting a few hundred calories per day over her expenditures so she can make gains and she’ll be fine.

16. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Thanks ryoung. I figured that's probably the answer, just want to help her as much as I can. She's coming up on recruiting age for softball and she's a very strong prospect. Her strength is heads over almost any girl her age. Just want to add as much as we can in the off season.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Anything "new" that comes out that actually works.....they ban in short order. It is what it is. And most of the supplements that actually works has been anabolic derivatives of some sort (i.e. the aforementioned SARMs and SERMs and prior to them pro-hormones).

As mentioned, the best thing for a 15 year old whose body is still in the process of developing can do is to make sure they are sticking to a strict diet that's hitting all their necessary nutrient goals and getting plenty of sleep....the rest is mostly going to be just tossing your money down the toilet. Throughout the years I've actually been taking less and less supplements and getting better and better results.

The only supplement I can say that I've used that I can see real visible results in a rather quick period of time are natural diuretics like Dandelion and Stinging Nettle that can be used to tighten up and drop water prior to vacation/beach time. (granted you have to already be somewhat lean, they don't give a fatass a 6-pack overnight).

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Spinach & Kale

19. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

In my experience...anytime you do supplemental muscle building...it may come quicker, but the gains do not stay as long as natural gains. I'd highly encourage to eat regular foods in the correct portions and schedules, and work out correctly using proven methods. She's 15...does not need anything crazy, just basics at this point.

SpeedyE and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What kinds of workouts is she doing?