1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What an AWESOME weekend!

Discussion in 'General' started by RacerGirl117, Jun 23, 2002.

1. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

Yeah, okay...so we were at Nelson Ledges this weekend. So what. Yes, the bathrooms still stank like the outhouse it is, but they had hot and cold water. Yes, the track is bumpy as hell, but it is also fast as hell. I don't care! I had the best time I've had at the track since....hmm....well since the last time I raced. :D

I want to give THE BIGGEST thanks ever possible to the most wonderful guy in my world, Don Kinsey (fiance' extraordinaire), for letting me ride his bike this weekend. If not for that, the good time would have been good, but not THIS good! :D Thanks honey! :D

I would also like to thank Rob Wigdorski, Keith Reed, Jason and Jim Temme, Sam Gaige and g/f Chris, Speedy Pete, Mary M. (not gonna try and spell your last name Mary :) ), and everybody else this weekend who encouraged me to keep going even when *I* wasn't sure I wanted to. All of y'all are the BEST possible people to race with and know.

A BIG thanks to all you experts AND novices for not running me over (even though LtFDrebbin tried to hehe). :D

Another thanks to Phil w/Wintex for selling me the most comfortable awesome gloves.

Also, thanks to all the WERA crew and the CRC cornerworkers. It was a damn hot weekend (over 102 degrees by our weather station) and a very safe one too.

Damn, you'd think with all these thanks that I'd won or something. ;) Well, I did...sorta. I won my own race. :)

With all that's happened recently, it has been very hard thinking about why we do this thing. But now I remember why. It is the most amazing thing to keep something like the machines we ride on two wheels. And the people are AWESOME

Okay, I think I'm done. :D

2. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

glad you liked it... temp was a bit toasty wasn't it?

3. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

Yay!! Let's have some details, woman!! :D :D And congratulations!!!! :D :D

4. RacerGirl117

Yeah, you could say that. Eric...we did meet...right? :)

5. RacerGirl117

Thanks Beth! :) Not really much to tell in the details department. Saturday was a very rough day for me on the track. After having not been on a motorcycle for almost two years I was a nervous wreck. I had to relearn a lot of stuff. I pulled out of the Solo 20 because my stomach was cramping so bad due to me being one big bundle of nerves (and the fact that I had already been lapped TWICE :( I didn't want to be a danger to anyone). My times SUCKED BIG. I wore an orange shirt so people would see me and hopefully not run into me. But I got a lot of valuable feedback from people that made me relax and I was determined to drop my times on Sunday and just relax and have fun.

Sunday, I was entered in the Formula 2 race and Don was racing in it as well on Steve Clarks SV650 (thanks, Steve). I went out for 2 practice sessions and just knew that I was going faster. I forgot to turn on the lap timer for the 1st session, so I didn't get any times for that. I turned it on the for the 2nd session but I guess for some reason none of the transponders that were out there worked so I didn't get any times for that one either. I didn't really care 'cause I knew I was going faster than I was on Saturday. I was a LOT more relaxed and wasn't hanging on to the bike with a death grip. :)

I went out for my race and was all stoked. I pulled up to my grid position (dead last of course) and saw that I had a 125 next to me and one behind me. I was determined to get a good start and not be last in line going into one. I got a good start and had both the 125's behind me. But going into turn one, one of the 125's (#40, John...thanks John) had caught up to me and passed me. Damnit! I said to myself, "can't let that happen". So I spent the entire race chasing this guy. It was really cool actually being able to keep up with someone, so I was pretty happy. I showed him my wheel quite a few times, but just couldn't get around him. About lap six the other 125 gets around me coming out of two. This guy is also wearing an orange shirt and I say to myself "no way am I letting another orange shirt beat me". :) So I passed him back on the outside of turn 3. Boy, is it slippery out there. :)

As we're coming to turn 4, we see a yellow flag indicating something on the track. As we came out of the carousel, we see a rider going REALLY slow off the race line. I guess his bike stalled or something. He was out of the line so not really a problem for me. I knew the other orange shirt was behind me, so I looked back to make sure he wasn't going to hit that rider. It looked like he came close to doing just so, but there was nothing I could have done, so I just kept on going...determined not to finish last.

I think lap 7 was my fastest lap, 'cause I was scraping the pegs everywhere. I couldn't believe I was getting the bike so leaned over and not using my knee. I've never done the knee sliding thing, but was attempting to learn it this weekend. Thank goodness I had put some distance between myself and the other orange shirt though, because coming out of the carousel on the last lap I missed a gear and had a crappy drive coming out of the last turn. I saw the checkered and said to myself "I won! I won!" hehe :D

It was THE best time ever and I just can't say thanks enough to everyone who helped me this weekend.

6. CamCool

CamCool Beer is good food

It was great to see everyone out there! I had a great time, too, except that my brother, Brett is out for the season now. Broken wrist from turn three incident with me during the LWT Solo. Sorry Bro:( :( Everyone in the SV classes will have one less fast guy to worry about this season.

There was, however some GREAT racing in the SV classes on Sunday (would've been better with Brett). Me, John Lord, Sam Snellenberger(ltfdrebbin), Shannon Anderson, and Jeff Caco were all within striking distance at most times turning nearly identical lap times. Thanks to all you guys for good clean racing. Too bad we were fighting for SECOND place most of the time cuz Stiver took off :D (turning 1:13-1:14's), Great Job Jason!!. You guys really pushed me, I beat my best lap time by nearly 2 seconds! Dropped from 1:16.5 to a new best of 1:14.8! We're back there again in a couple weeks...see you soon!

7. Mary#17

Mary#17 What member?

Great Job this weekend Jess! It does get better the more you race, but I don't think you ever stop getting nervous. I can't really eat anything until the racing is over.

But, now you need to go to a nice track like Putnam or Gingerman. They are so much fun. Where's your next race weekend?

Mary

8. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

Looks like the cats out of the bag! :cool: :D

Don

9. RacerGirl117

Thanks Mary! It also helps to have other women racing in the same races. I also meant to thank Shannon in my post and I forgot. Sorry Shannon. Thanks! :)

I'm not sure when my next race will be Mary. That all depends on Don really. Since he's the points earner in this relationship, it's whenever he can afford to loan me the bike. :) NOT Road Atlanta though, that's for sure. I think I would be more than just nervous there. :Puke: :D

10. RacerGirl117

Meeeeooooowwww! :D :D I'm surprised I waited this long. :) Shall I tell the story? :)

11. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Hey Jess!
    I'm the orange shirt that was behind you for most of the race at N-L. I wish that I was a lot faster than I am but it was a blast chasing you and the other 125 at the back of the pack after my hopeless start. Traffic was screwing both of us up, huh?
    After you repassed me on that last lap, I felt the exact same way as you did. I wanted back by you in the worst way and I knew that we were both going faster than the 125 in front of you because we were gaining lots of ground on him in the carousel. As we both moved over on the back straight, I came right and my sight was blocked to the guy on the edge of the track. I was on your right corner when I saw him and realized that I didn't have any room to get by. I grabbed a ton of brake, let off, felt the rear wheel come back to the ground, moved right on to the dirt and just missed the guy. We might have brushed elbows, I don't know. It scared the hell out of me. I REALLY wish that the other bike would have moved off of the track.
    I didn't understand why we were still close coming out of 13 because I had lost so much time but now I know that you missed a gear. I was eager to get along side on the cool off lap and give you a wave. Except for that one little part, I had a lot of fun and you looked like you were having fun too.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2002
  12. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Jess,

Congrats on a great weekend!
    Seeing you smile after the race was great, but your facial expression during the moments leading up to the race was priceless! Again, congrats on getting back out there.

Also, congrats to your team on a fine weekend.

Take care.
    Keith

PS - By the way, congrats on the engagement as well. Damn! Another reason to celebrate!

13. RacerGirl117

Kewl! I was wondering who that was. I wanted to go and find you after the race, but I got caught up in the moment. I'm sure you know what I mean. That was totally awesome racing (for me)! I hope my pass was okay. :) It was kinda scary going around on the outside of turn 3, but I was determined. :) Fortunately for me, the 400 has a little more out of turn oomph than the 125 (from what I hear anyway...like *I* would know :) ). Sorry you didn't catch me on the cool down. That would have been pretty cool. :) I don't care that I was at the back. I was just having a BLAST keeping up with someone. Next time, I'll have to make it a point to come and meet you. Are you going to Road Atlanta?

I saw the flag come out after I passed you in the carousel, so I knew there was going to be something ahead. And since it was a stationary flag, I figured it was a bike off the race line. I was surprised that you took the line you did with that one, but glad you came out of it okay. That rider really should have pulled off the track, but I can't blame him for not. It's almost safer on the track than off there, ya know? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I look forward to racing with you again soon. :)

14. RacerGirl117

Thanks Mr. Reed. :) Okay...wait...what was my facial expression before the race? Was it something like this? :Puke: :D Yeah, my team is pretty awesome. Wouldn't been as much fun without my guys. :)

And thanks on the congrats. I'm quite happy about it. :D :) :cool:

15. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Hi Jess.
    Your pass on me was fine. I felt real comfortable riding around you although I still wish I would have got by...;)
    You were COMPLETELY gassed after the race. I know because I got along side of you on the back straight and we gave each other a thumbs up (adrenaline has something to do with memory). You looked like your helmet might crack from the grin! :D
    Fun stuff. I hope the guys at the front were having that much fun!
    No Road Atlanta for me but I hope that I see you out there again.

Matt
    #161 RS125

16. R6#486

R6#486 Shockin the Shockers!!

Great job with the racing Rob " I will even knock my BRO off the track to win" Campbell. You, Jason " If it werent for my mom and dad I wouldnt be here" Stiver, "OH MY" Lord, and Sam "try to pass me" Snellenberger are all fast there! Dont count out Shannon " watch out guys" Anderson. She goes well also. I had the most fun racing with all of you. Too bad for Your bro Brett! I was looking forward to battling with him too. Id call him if I had his number! I was happy with my results for my first time at nelsons on the SV. See you all again next month at Nelsons. Anyone going to Atlanta?
    By the way great job also to Mary " Iam smiling past my ears" Miskovic, Keith "No i dont have nitrous" Reed and Randy "The Shermanator" Sherman. KR, it was entertaining watching you and Gaige battle it out!! Great job by everyone!

17. RacerGirl117

That's cool Matt...thanks. :) About the only thing I remember about the cool-down lap was waving at all the cornerworkers (there were actually quite a few there this weekend which was excellent) and riding behind Peterhaulintail469 and catching up to him on the back straight as he slowed down to do a wh*****. :D I mean, er, uh, wave at the cornerworkers. :D Come to think of it now though, I do remember giving you a thumbs up. Yeah, I was grinning pretty big. I was mighty pleased with myself. I still am. hehe Sorry we won't get to see you at Road Atlanta, but I'm sure we'll see you at the next Nelson event. Maybe you'll get to pass me back then. :)

18. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Jess,
    Your right, it was a great weekend! You did great! :cool: We gotta find a way to get you your own bike. I know you were a little nervous on Saturday (even though it didn't show on the track) but by Sunday you looked like you were comfortable and having fun. :D
    It was great to see everyone who showed up from the Mid A region. The track surface may suck but the people are great!
    Team Frost, Empty Pockets and freinds make the weekend fun. Congrats again to Mary for a stellar job on her podium finishes.
    Oh, and thanks for the suds! I hate it when I forget to pack my beer :mad:

19. RacerGirl117

Hmm...yes, my own bike would be great. Know anyone with a "reliable" FZR400? ;) :D No modifieds or built motors please. Just give me plain ole simple F U N! It sure would be cool if the 400's had their own class. They're awesome little bikes. With the right suspension and tires, anyone can have a blast. Don's bike made even Nelson seem (key word "seem") smooth. And you're more than welcome for the suds. See you guys at Road A.

Oh hey, where are you guys staying? Do you have a hotel room yet?

20. peterhaulintail469

peterhaulintail469 Orange-u Racing 469

that was the worst attempt at having fun I have ever had(wh*****), but was diggin the look on your face, i am glad that everyone made it out of there in one piece this weekend!!!