1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What 2018 Moto2 Will Sound Like

Discussion in 'General' started by Black89, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Didn't see it posted yet.

Triumph 765cc triple

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They will sound exactly the same in 2018.

badmoon692008 and Rising like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I remember when the rumors were spilling out about this a while back, I guess they weren't just rumors.

4. Can't wait. Just like I've enjoyed GP more than ever after the shake up with electronics and rules I think this will be a good change of pace for moto 2.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You're gonna have to. The Triumph motor doesn't start racing until 2019.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  6. Yeah I know, I was really against the whole GP rules package change and now I love it. So this makes me excited.

7. bbsteinnewyork

bbsteinnewyork Active Member

When you can't win unless you race yourself. Ha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that engine will have a nice deep scream w the short almost straight pipe that Moto2 runs.

Looking forward to their new spec software and fly by wire.

9. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

meh, should just bring back the 250s. Much cooler bikes

TLR67, 5axis, motion and 2 others like this.
  10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I think the new mills will be a nice change but I too think it would be cool to see the moto3 method applied to moto2 with a 500cc twin or similar as a pure race motor. I also understand why they don't as teams like the moto2 cost structure offered by the "spec" rules that it favors.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well 675 triples compete with 600 I-4s which is what Moto2 uses today, and this is an almost 800cc triple, so I'm guessing we'll be seeing an appreciable bump in HP and top speeds?

12. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

will still NOT sound like a big bore triple at full gallop :whoosh:
    but that's cool, they'll have more mid range and will make for interesting lap times i think...

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Should be cool. But those 600's in Moto2 were clocked at 175mph down the straight today, so they are pretty fast right now.

14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The article I read yesterday said the current spec of the new motor is 131 at the tire vs 124 at the tire for the Honda motor used now. They said that they were still tweaking the speak and may be a few more horsepower than that by the time 2019 rolls around. They said they were focused on a smooth powerboand over screaming revs.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  15. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

That's hard to believe that the current engines have only 124 hp to the wheel, I would have guessed 140. I remember watching a video where they said all the engines were within 1-2 hp when they were fresh.

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Been discussed at length on this forum a ton, seems about right according to the people who would have more accurate info than me. They initially made more power, but went to a lower spec shortly after that and have stayed there ever since from everything I have seen.

17. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I remember MCN or someone doing a test on a MarcVDS bike at the end of the season with the comments being basically "props to the Moto2 guys because the bike is way under-powered compared to what the chassis can take so to get a fast lap you have to blitz every corner with absolutely insane corner speed". They are as fast a national series superbike with nearly half the power.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Isn't that approaching what the old Formula Extreme bikes were putting out back in the day?

How many engines does a Moto2 team get for the season? I would think that if that allocation isn't very high that there's a reason why they aren't putting out an absurd amount of HP at the risk of them popping on a regular basis.

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

renegade17 likes this.
  20. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

New electronics package for moto2 looks nice as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk