1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Race School...helpful info

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by nevenelestate, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The RB is confusing as hell if you're not used to it which is why I don't answer with rtfrb unless it's a joke or the person should already know how to read it :D

2. wcoats

wcoats Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting up that info on the rider school! I've been looking around trying to find this information. So all I have to do is show up? I want to go to the WERA event at Talladega on 8/24-26, is there a way to pre-register for the rider school to make sure there is room and that I get a spot? Also, that even goes from Friday - Sunday; do I have to be there on Friday morning to do the rider school, or can I do it on Saturday morning(I can't get Friday off work, so I won't get there untill that night).

Thanks for any info/help

3. smokintalon

smokintalon Member

I have the same questions as wcoats but for Road Atlanta in October. Can I pre-register in advance or just do it at the track? What time should I get there in order to drop my bike off for tech inspection and still have time to make it to class? Also, I saw the fees on the main site ($110 for license, and $100 for rider school). What other fees are involved if I want to go ahead and do my 2 provisional races on the same weekend?

Seems all new racers have lots of questions, such as myself. If everything goes well and I start racing next season, I will make it a point to post a 'New Racer Into Q&A' (if its not around by then...)

Thanks in advance for all of the support and answers to any questions in the future! Looking forward to getting out there on the track!

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can't do both PN races on the same weekend since it's actually 2 PN events - so two weekends. The only other fees are gate fee and entry fee which depends on the number of races you want to run. We comp the transponder rental for PN's to try and help all that out some.

You can pre enter the school if you like via mail or fax, however it's not necessary. You can also do just the membership ahead of time - basically whichever is easiest for you.

5. Garrett04

Garrett04 New Member

This thread had exactly all the information I was looking for as new comer to WERA. As I plan on joining next year. I now feel more confident about coming out there and taking that next step. Thanks!

6. speedyGabe

speedyGabe Member

Thank's much for the great info and write-up! Much appreciated as I'm looking to get my race license at the beginning of the 2013 season! Can't wait haha it's gunna be a blast

7. derbybrit1

derbybrit1 Active Member

Saturday Schedule

Regarding the Auto Club Speedway event in January where Saturday practice is run by Fastrack Riders. Questions:

1) Fastrack Riders tech inspection rules apply for Saturday, not WERA, correct? Of course WERA bike prep will easily meet Fastrack requirements.

The writeup suggested that tech inspection is not required for the school (the instructor will checkout your bike). But will Fastrack tech inspection be required to go out for practice sessions afterward? I guess if there is enough time it would be best to actually do tech before class.

2) New Riders School starts at 8am, and has 3 track sessions and 3 classroom session, it should complete before 10:30am? 2nd riders meeting is held at 10:30am

Is riders meeting attendance required in order to go out on the track for practice after the class, or was that requirement satisfied by the New Riders school?

Thanks

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - yes. Tech for the school and the school only for a normal WERA school can be lighter than for racing. A school run at the Fastrack event would have to pass their tech rules.

2 - no idea on the Fastrack end, that is a different structure than our school but usually Matthias (the instructor there) has you doing stuff most of the day. Even a school run on our normal Saturday isn't 100% done that early.

You need to contact Fastrack about their rules regarding practice after the school but overall I don't think you'll need to, you should be on track most of the day during the school. If you need to be at the riders meeting they'll make sure you can do so.

9. derbybrit1

derbybrit1 Active Member

I asked David Pyles at Fastrack about their new riders school vs the WERA riders school. Here is what he said:

"It is different. It only last about two hours plus you get to do a practice start in the evening.

You will be practicing and doing the Novice School stuff while other groups are riding so you get eight sessions on the track. It is not that hard and you don't have to be setting track records to race. You will be a Novice and everyone racing with you will be as well. There is not racing on Saturday but everything gets you prepared for Sunday which is race day at ACS."

This doesn't answer the question about tech, but I remember that you had to do regular tech for their new riders school. So I can't see why it would be any different for the WERA school (conducted by Fastrack).

10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

So I'm double verifying that I don't have to do anything to attend the WERA school and race on the next day? I was going to try and be pro active and (snail?) mail the paperwork in, but if I don't have to, or if it makes it easier, I'll just do it when I get there. Looking to do NOLA in April, take the class on the 6th, race on the 7th.

If I don't have to do the paperwork until I arrive, can I try and reserve my race number ahead of time so I'm ready to go, bike wise?

And for the total newbie question, how much track time does a typical race day equate to? Obviously I know the more classes you register the more you can race, but is it common for c super stock guys to register in the higher modification classes just to get more seat/race time? The only thing I can relate to are just track days with rotated sessions...this scene is all to me.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Yes, just do paperwork at track it only take a few minutes.

email Sean [email protected] with number request and Czar will let you know if you can have it.

yes, a lot of guys race css & csb, also race in the b classes and A clases if you're feeling froggy

12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

By the posts I'm finding digging through threads and searching, I take it that the racer classes never get filled. That's my main worry, is getting there and being told "Tough shit dude, class is full, should have registered." :down:

So I'm just trying to cover my bases, that's all. :D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never turned anyone away.

14. jramsey8258

jramsey8258 Member

Thanks for the good info. That just saved me a couple hundred buck.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That's an awesome feeling right there. :clap: