1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA policies

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by AJ_371, Jun 18, 2001.

1. AJ_371

AJ_371 Tom Thumb!!

This weekend at VIR was in a single word...totallyfreakinawesome! But....a couple of issues marred the experience for me(and some of my track buddies). First, I was told by a WERA official that I couldn't race this weekend due to my provisional novice status(he was wrong), but it was the reason I didn't pre-register. Second, I arrived during my practice on Friday...and the WERA ladies wouldn't let me register or practice(after 10 straight hours on the road and no sleep that may have been for the best), but I wasn't able to get 1 single race in my classes becuase of it(and not pre-reg'ing). Third...a track-mate(and local riding buddy) followed a link on the WERA site to get directions for the Cycle Jam, and they took him to Summit Point...he called Saturday morning and found out where he had to be, and the WERA official told him he had plenty of time to get there as they were running 2 hours late, but when he arrived , they wouldn't allow him to register or ride becuase" he didn't get any practice". That is bull$#@t. He drove 10 hours to Summit, then 5 hours to VIR...then to have to drive 10-12 hours home....that is a load of crap, and it was mostly WERA's fault. I am not so worried for myself...I knew that I wasn't going to score any points this weekend with the caliber of talent that showed up...but my hommie is FAST....and this hurt his season badly(double points and all). So can someone shed some light on this for me...cuz I have to say...I am really bitter about the whole thing.

AJ
    #371 www.perfpowersports.com

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Well-Known Member

AJ - Your buddy must have failed geography as a kid! How the hell do you end up at Summit Point, WV when you are aiming for VIR? Dude is clueless.

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Rules are rules and they are followed by the WERA officals. Sounds like you just had a bad day. But to blame someone else for your misfortune is just plain tacky.

4. Comet117

Comet117 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm stupid (shut up Tracee!), but if you arrived on Friday, could you not sign up for your races on Saturday & practice Saturday & Sunday morning & race Sunday?

Maybe the schedule was different that what I'm used to.

I think that the WERA Official could have been correct if his/her understanding of the question was can I run any of the races at VIR?...'cause the answer is no, not the National Races or yes, you can enter the Sportsman races... I have seen that question asked here on the BBS in the last few weeks leading up to the Putnam National because it was a National/Endurance weekend and didn't have the Sportsman Classes(no prov novs allowed, like the last time at TGP).

Sorry it worked out that way for you. I have to admit that I would like to be able to sign up for races following the practice sessions, but with the logistics & paperwork of gridding racers, I am not sure how they could be able to keep it all straight.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Thomas Davidson Jr (edited 06-18-2001).]

5. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

well joe, the grids were pretty full (3 waves even in the experts!) he may have gotten there after the capacity, don't know if that is the case, but i can remember not being able to sign up for a race because of full grid...55 bikes at Road A and all novices [​IMG]

6. AJ_371

AJ_371 Tom Thumb!!

I didn't get to sign up for my races Saturday morning becuase of the full grid, but...a lot of people didn't start. I ended up racing Formula 1 and Superbike B...if you read, I said I had a great time. My friend followed a link on the WERA site probably for last years Cycle Jam. Besides it was his girlfriend that did this...he just drove. I have to say he handled it like a champ and even teched for us. He is one fast dude so one race won't matter that much.

7. Umbrella girl #1

Umbrella girl #1 Well-Known Member

First I want to say that the person that ended up at Summit Point instead of VIR was not told by a WERA offical he had plenty of time to register on Saturday. Also this person sent his girl friend up and she talked to me, it seems that they got the wrong info off the web site and ended up at Summit Point. After arriving at the track after racing had already started and we were about into the 5 or 6th race, wanted to register to race. This person was also a PN that had never raced at VIR. I could not with let out on the track with NO PRACTICE time at all, did not know the track, cold tires, cold engine. WHERE IS THE SAFETY FACTOR????? I do not feel as a WERA offical that I did wrong. I'm sorry that he could not race on Sunday, which was a National, that no PN's can ride. I believe that if he stops and thinks about the issue he will agree with me, and if he or you want to talk about it please call me in the WERA office.