1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Fontana 2013 Race Report

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by SaferMoto, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Great weekend at Fontana with WERA thansk to Eric Anderson and Kenny for holding a garage space for us and the great hospitality all weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Practice on Saturday was COLD until about 2pm I was running on last years take offs so my times were slow. All the "rust' I was carrying slowed me down even more. Ended up with a 1:50 at the end of the day. Goal for Sunday was to beat that.

Got a new SC1 Pirelli Slick and a new 180 SC2 DOT rear on the SV500 on Saturday afternoon after WERA Tech and registration. thanks to Chris Maguire for his fast service and great advice.

Rolled in Sunday morning with Eddie Vigil who was running the pit for me, as Beth had to work this weekend, about 7:30am and turned on the warmers. I was in practice group 4 for the slow guys :laughing so had some time. Went out for the first session and only got about 3 laps in before the checkered flag went out. Just enough to scrub the tires a little.

[​IMG]

2nd practice was about an hour later so it had warmed up a fair bit so I tried to see how far over I could get the bike. Just short of the elbow in 5 :ride When I checked times I have been running constant 1:47's which was a boost to my confidence.

Watching the First race of the day

[​IMG]

First race was race 4 DSuperbike. I was somehow in pole position got a good start and rode as hard as I could. just after half way Anthony Alonso came past me on the brakes and I tried to hang on to him. We were pretty even in practice on the straight but his speed through 1,2 and 3 was WAY faster than I dared to try so he slipped away and I ended up 2nd :Party Checking times I dropped into the 1:43s. Very happy with the improvement

2nd Race was race 6 Lightweight Twins Superbike. I started on the front row with a 650 Superbike to my left adn a 650 Prod bike to my right which Logan hanks was racing. It was Robin Geenen's bike from last year so I knew it was fast. Michael Kim had been getting faster all weekend and was gridded just 1 row back on his 650 so I fully expected to be at best 4th in this race.

I got a good start and was 2nd heading towards turn 2 when Logan swept around the outside and passed me before the entry to 2, shit better get ready for Michael!! I chased after Logan and was closing in the corners but he would open the gap at every straight away. After a couple of laps he made a mistake into turn 5 and I dove up the inside, probably blocked his drive and put my head down. I did not see him again and crossed the line in 2nd place

LTW Video first few laps

Not sure how to post youtube videos on this board but here is the link to the LWSB race

3rd Race was race 8 Clubman I had no idea who else was on the grid but it looked like mostly 250 riders. I got a good start and kept my head down hitting all my markers and being as smooth as I could be. I started closing on the Formula 3 bikes who had started in front of us and on the last lap had a good battle with one of them. I was going to stuff him into turn 9 then remembered he was not part of my race so backed off and just finished the race in 1st

[​IMG]

A well run event by WERA for the first of the season lots of nice people around. Good to see a few AFM faces there as well. We loaded up after the last race and left by 2.30pm. Got back to Reno by 9.30pm so did some more road racing on the way home *LOL*

Thanks to Pirelli, Motion Pro, TWF Racing and Safermoto for making it a great weekend :thumbup

2. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

More Video

Chasing Peter Yates #81 at the end of the Clubman Race. he was the F3 wave in front and the kids did not want to play with him :rock:

http://youtu.be/olU6gZ45Cok