1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA/AHRMA race at roebling

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by WERA33, May 10, 2002.

1. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

it looks as though ahrma is considering at joint race for the season opener next year, i havent heard wera's opinion yet.
    what do you guys think? would be a big turnout i believe.

2. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

What kind of class structure? AHRMA runs a lot more different flavors of old vintage bikes than WERA, but has only begun to develop late '70's/ early 80's vintage classes. ( e.g. they don't really have anything like a V7 equivalent, while WERA has no F250 equivalent )
    Sounds like fun if someone could figure out what to run. Maybe some in-between version and then just don't worry about points so no one gets their feathers ruffled?

3. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

Stirring the pot again Scoot?:p Since I don't place high enough to worry about points, and would like to race with a FULL grid, I say the more the merrier. I saw in the AHRMA newsletter that they are considering replacing the Deland race with one at Roebling. Or maybe the WERA guys should just make the AHRMA guys do the WERA vintage race as their warmup for Daytona, and leave it a WERA event. I did the Mid Ohio AHRMA race last year because it is close to home and I wanted to try the track. I know a lot of people do at least one race a year in both organizations. Hey Scott, did you take the RZ running gear and fairing off the Kawi and put it on the RD yet? Getting nervous about Putnam???? :(

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

I agree. Since there aren't very many classes that have exactly the same machine requirements in both organizations, points shouldn't even be considered. I'm up for just one huge Pre-Daytona vintage racing event with the likes of AHRMA, VRRA, USCRA and WERA Vintage! Let's just get together and have a fun time.

Jens
    WERA Vintage & AHRMA #415

5. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

I wonder how the AHRMA modern classes (Supermono, Twins, & Sound of Thunder) would fit in with the WERA Vintage 6 & 7???

This will be a tough one to pull off, IMO. If it's a non-championship points events I think the turn out might be low.

I think one club should race at Roebling and the other at N. Florida.

6. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

WERA V would definitely have to add classes for the handshift hardtails and other bikes from the golden era up through the 50's. I know I wouldn't want to miss seeing the likes of Al, Beno, Art, Will, Doc et al and it wouldn't be fair to expect them to compete in 500GP.

It would be nice to see the orgs together but I think there's still too much rivalry that could fuel disputes if points were to be an issue. I was under the impression that one organization was going for Roebling and the other NFMP anyway.

7. AHRMA872

AHRMA872 Well-Known Member

The most likely outcome IMHO.

8. Jim Swartout

Jim Swartout Well-Known Member

I think it sounds great and should produce a good turn out of
    racers. The only way I can think that it would work would be
    to run each class from each organization, but combine into one class where appropriate. Both road race directors would sit down and agree upon the combining of classes or run separate.

Examples:

Class 1 = Wera Vintage V1 and Ahrma 350 Sportsmans

Class 2 = Ahrma Handshift

Class 3 = Wera Vintage V7

etc.

Then on race day the various classes could ran on the track together, but be scored separately. The Wera racers would get Wera points for positions in their race and Ahrma racers get Ahrma
    points.

Just a thought, may not be a good thought.

9. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Actually I think it's a great idea. We run our own races but during the same day at the same track. Nice idea Jim. Now if only we can get Rick and Craig to share a beer at the event, we'll be golden. :D

10. boiade

boiade Well-Known Member

I've entered ARMHA F-250 with my V-2 TD-3 and my F-500 RD in AHRMA F-500. They all use disc brakes in F-250 and it is a bit of a disadvantage with a V-2 bike, but only at the end of a long straight. F-500 is the same as far as could tell.

11. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

I wonder where the info came from that AHRMA was interested in a combined Daytona Warm Up? Is this just a wishful figment of someone's imagination? I think it could be a great event, lots of riders and competition between three groups, WERA, USCRA, and AHRMA. The problem will be with the administration of the event. While the class structure and the points can be worked out, I wonder who would actually run the event. Remember, this is Lynn and Rick Breckon's race, not WERAs.

12. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

The idea of a joint WERA/AHRMA event actually was mentioned in the May issue of Vintage Views, the AHRMA newsletter, on page 7 under "other business". The discussion begins with the worsening track conditions at Deland, and ends with consideration of ..."even a combined AHRMA/WERA race at Roebling Road".....Events at North Florida, Homestead, Moroso and Sebring were also mentioned as possible replacements for Deland. Of course it would have to be an AHRMA/WERA event (not WERA/AHRMA) since they are the true vintage creme de la creme. Boy, I hope I spelled that right.....Nothing worse than an illiterate smart ass.....oxymoron?

13. RPatch

RPatch Well-Known Member

I'd say it's too soon to tell. The cream rises and water seeks its own level. Time will tell how AHRMA fares. I hope it fares well.

Robert Patch