1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

welding advice

Discussion in 'General' started by hmpmark, Jun 25, 2002.

1. hmpmark

hmpmark Member

I plan on TIG welding some threaded standoffs to my frame and I have a question. From a safety standpoint, is removing the gas tank all that is necessary to prevent fire and/or explosion? Is there anything else that I should do for safety?

I also assume that I should disconnect the battery before welding. Is this all that is necessary to prevent the welding from wreaking havoc on my electrical systems, or are there other preventative measures I should take?

Thanks,

Mark

2. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Removing the gas take is a good idea, if the bike is fuel injected remove the computer module.

3. F2racer

F2racer Well-Known Member

What do you need the stand offs for? Steering damper? You can get a kit from lockheart. that you drill and put in theses inserts that come with it. Alot easer than welding. If you want I can get them for you. they run about 8-10 bucks. They also work for swing arm buttons.

4. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Its called a Rivnutt and works real well...I think Marietta might have them. 1-888-FASTLAP

5. hmpmark

hmpmark Member

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of using the standoffs as mounting points for the steering damper and fairing mounts (naked sv).

I have already considered the rivnut idea, but I just don't like the idea of drilling holes in the frame. I know that the strength of the frame wouldn't be compromised too much, but the strength of the fastener seems questionable. I mean the wall thickness of the frame can't be very thick. That might give me 2-4 threads to hold the fastener at best? Does anyone have any more insight, or am I over-analyzing this? To me, welding just seems much more solid. Since I have access to a machine shop, it wouldn't be all that much of an inconvenience anyway, and besides, the brackets that Sharskinz supplies just look cheap to me. Does anyone have a better method for mounting the SV bodywork?

Mark

6. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Nut-serts/ rivnuts what ever you want to call them, crimp onto the metal the whole is drilled into, you will have approx 1/4-3/8 depth of a "nut" to bolt into. You can buy an inexpensive nut-sert tool fron Northern Tool. It comes with everything you need.