1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web site hosting ???s

Discussion in 'General' started by SpongeBob WeaselPants, Jul 3, 2002.

1. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

I want to register a domain name and find a low-cost host for a small web site for work: mostly photographs--no I don't do race stuff--documentaries and a few (barf) weddings. :Puke:

My provider (Road Runner) gives free space, but only for personal sites, nothing commercial. I looked into the Yahoo-Geo-cities offereings (they seems pretty cheap), but as of late their service has been unreliable and they appear on the verge of going down the tubes.

Any experienced-based suggestions? [​IMG]

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

You can use a domain forwarding service, which will automatically forward a person to your Road Runner servier space when he/she types in www.ericshampsters.com . However, they too are not the most reliable types around.

My suggestion is to go to Earthlink, and go with their 20 dollar a month service. They aren't going anywhere, and you know your site will always be available. Yes, it is 240 dollars a year, but a small price to pay for having a reilable resource.

I have no personal experience with them, but I have heard nothing but good things about Mindspring/Earthlink. Mindspring was founded and headquarted here in Georgia, and subsequently merged with California-based Earthlink.

3. wsmc667

wsmc667 Well-Known Member

4. SR211

SR211 Well-Known Member

Also check out Hurricane Electric @ www.he.net, been using them for years with no problems.

5. ScottG

ScottG Well-Known Member

Also look into Hostsave www.hostsave.com I am pretty sure its 8.95 a month plus your domain fee.

6. threeballs

threeballs Veritas Aequitas

There are a lot of hosing plans out there but be aware of how much disk space you get and the total data transfer you are allowed each month.

If you are looking to use some of the newer interactive web applications you want to make sure you get PHP, CGI, & MySql. It is best to get a plan that offers the features now, rather than not having them when you need it.

All this is offered by www.ipowerweb.com for $7.95 per month. They also give you 150-email account for that price and a neat web based control panel to manage your account.

Also check out this application for picture hosting using PHP. www.threeballs.net/pics
    There should be a link at the bottom of the page to Galleries site. It is a little tricky to setup, but once you get it going it is the easiest application I have found to manage your pics.

Good luck,

Jon
    www.threeballs.net

7. SpongeBob WeaselPants

That's what the hamsters are for... [​IMG]

8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

gallery

jon,

thanks for the link to the gallery software.. now installing it may be another issue but it seems like it's just what I have been looking for AND IT'S FREE!!

just FYI- to those looking to register a domain name- check out www.dotster.com . decent prices on domain registration.

(admission- I work for earthlink so take this with a grain of salt)

I have two sites. One that I have hosted at work and one I host elsewhere. I personally don't really ever use tech support but if you are new to hosting that can be avery important aspect of hosting for someone new to hosting. ELNK/MSPG usualy have some of the best tech support around. The Earthlink site is always up and has a really nice interface to control the site and a lot of nice features. The other site is just for fun and I don't ever call support or use it very often (more for storage and such)..

ALSO- there's also a promotion w/ earthlink right now for a free domain registration if you sign up for web hosting (save the normal register.com $40 fee). if anyone wants personal help, email me and I'll have someone I know in sales give you a call and answer any questions....

Jeff

9. SpongeBob WeaselPants

threeballs,
    I like the powerweb package... thanks for the information.

I'm driving all over town showing people photo portfolios and this will save me a lot of time and gas. It doesn't have the in-person touch but it will eliminate the tire-kickers, then I can go see the serious condidates. Well worth $7.95 a month.

10. threeballs

threeballs Veritas Aequitas

If you use the Gallery program for pics it has great administrator features that lets you upload photos from your web browser. It also has a great control panel that lets you customize the system.

It does take some computer knowledge for the initial setup but then you are good to go, if you need help let me know.

Jon
    [email protected]
    www.threeballs.net