1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watercooled carbs

Discussion in 'General' started by jarcoco, Feb 5, 2001.

1. jarcoco

jarcoco shimmy shimmy coco puff

yeah, i got a 2000 f4 that has water running thru the carbs, i heard also that r6's also do that, but the other manufacturers don't. anyways, i found out at talladega this weekend that i had a leak in my carbs so i disconnected the water lines and connected them together and it seemed to cure the problem. does anybody know the remifications of this, is any? why is it necessary to run water thru the carbs. i just wanna make sure i'm not gunna blow up my bike.

2. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

typically that is to heat carbs during cold weather riding. there should be a temp sensitive switch to let coolant flow if it is needed.
    I know the old goldwings had it, didn't know the sportbikes got them too.

3. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

There should be no ramifications of by-passing this...in fact it should help. Now the air you have flowing through will not be "pre-heated" by the coolant water.

A cool air charge is what makes power. I think a rough guess is for every 15 degrees of cooler air you gain 1% hp. Watch your jetting although I figure it stock trim, especially with CV's you shouldn't have a problem.

Ryan

4. jarcoco

it is stock, but what are CV's?

5. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

its not really water 'cooling', its more like water "heating". my understanding is: the purpose for running the water through the carb body is to keep the carbs from 'icing' in cold riding conditions and to help the bike 'warm-up' faster. however, by running heated water through the carb body you effectively raise the temperature of the intake charge which is somewhat counter-productive to power. by increasing intake charge temp you reduce the volume of O2 in the charge (but we're probalbly getting heavy into the ideal gas laws and geeky stuff that only angineers and two-smoke guys really care about anyway [​IMG] ) fwiw:the f3's hrc set-up manual shows removal of the water lines from the carbs for racing set-up. if it were me, i'd remove the water line from the carbs...(this & $.35 will get you a small coffee @ the vend machine)

6. Zanyeights

Yeah what Wrenn said...

..and CV stands for...well I am not sure actually. Basically a CV carb uses the vacuum from the motor to raise the slide to meter incoming fuel. Unlike a flatside which is more like your old motocrosser which uses a cable to directly pull the slide and meter fuel.

In addition CV carbs use throttle plates like your car to allow more air to flow which inturn increases the vacuum, which inturn raises the slide an appropriate amount and allows the corresponding amount of fuel to enter the combustion chamber. CV carbs are extremely foregiving but are really restrictive in comparision with flatside racing carbs. Air has to flow over the plates where as flasides just have a needle to flow around.

Probably more than you need or want to know but that is what I know about CV carbs. None of this is gospel...check out Dynojet's site as well as other carb kit sites and you will learn more than you wnat to know about carbs.

7. bigjoe

bigjoe Member

CV=Constant Velocity
    at least I'm pretty sure of that.

8. Zanyeights

I thought that is what CV stood for but I wasn't sure if I was confused with the CV Joint (the joint in the half shaft of a front wheel drive car).

9. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

What's a "ramification"?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmmmm, I wonder if removing the water lines from the carbs would be legal... Especially since it is an obvious performance modification in warmer weather.

I guess someone should rule on this before it gets anyone in trouble at the track so here goes - leave the water in the carbs the way the OEM intended it... The ruling in SS on carbs only allows swapping needles and jets and specifically outlaws heat shielding - removing the water from the carbs is effectively heat shielding the carbs so the system must be funtcional.

I realize that if there is a temp switch and it is functional it would preclude the hot water from going through on hot days so I'll research it more and get back to you...

11. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

in stick lingo- [​IMG] prolly has summindo wit ramarr [​IMG]

12. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

It's a noun and means to branch out.

13. kawboy

kawboy Guest

CV means "constant velocity" If you just open the throttle plate, the air velocity goes to zero and that means no venturi effect to suck up the fuel through the jets. The sliding piston allows the opening of the air passage to occur more progressively, maintaining the velocity of the air stream, thus of the fuel delivery. My 9th grade physics teacher would be so proud! [​IMG]

14. jarcoco

man, i really hope mongo doesn't make it illegal in SS cause i found out this weekend at talladega that's what was wrong with my bike. I guess one night there was still enough water left in the carbs to freeze and crack something. my bike was barely running cause my carbs were leaking water.

15. WERA

WERA Administrator

It's less me making it illegal and more that it already was illegal...

Like I said, I'll try to find out more. Can you fix whatever cracked just in case you need to have it functional?

16. jarcoco

dunno, i can't tell where it's cracked yet.

17. Zanyeights

Sorry Jarcoco about the can of worms we opened...

18. jarcoco

no worries, dude. we'll see what happens.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In all reality it's waaayyyyyy better for me to know it now - otherwise the first time we found it at the track someone would be DQ'd and I hate doing that for stuff like this.

Try and fix it before T'dega this weekend. If you can't - let me know at the track and we'll work something out for the weekend (i.e. we'll let you race that way - no problem).

20. jarcoco

cool, thanks.