1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water / Hydrogen power

Discussion in 'General' started by MAGIFESQ, Nov 30, 2007.

1. sdg

sdg *

Exactly.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Are they hydrogen fueled?

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Hydrogen and solar powered. The night solar power is another guberment cover-up. They have had the technology for decades.

BTW, just for fun, I looked up some info on solar cells. It looks like for about $1200 you can get one that is about 2 feet by 4 feet and puts out a maximum of 200 watts. That means if it charged your car for 8 hours in perfect conditions you would put 1.6 kW of energy into the batteries. The Honda EV+ requires 10kW for a full charge. So in ideal conditions you could maybe incrase your "fuel mileage" by 16% with a panel that is too big and heavy to ever use on a car. I think the reality, with normal weather, is that you could get maybe a 5% increase in mileage on the smallest useful electric vehicle I could find any specs on. Some day this might be a viable option, but for now it is just too early.

4. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Probably true, however........solar cells are evolving quickly. They are starting absorb much more of the light spectrum I think.......

Even a 5-10% charge while sitting in the parking lot at work would be cool. :)

5. MAGIFESQ

MAGIFESQ Well-Known Member

???????????

This has been a very interesting thread...I simply ask to define X (amount of energy needed to break up water atoms) in a simple chemical equation and now we have conspiracy theories, accusations of perpetual motion machines, and all sorts of tangential opinions.
    I'm sure there will be water usage, there's also ways of being efficient with it. The concept is simple - alternative fuel it works on paper, just can't solve the 'X' in the equation lol.:Pop:

6. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

With all the available options for generating electricity efficiently (geothermal, hydrodynamic, nuclear, wind, solar), this is a non-issue. Other than road trips, you would fuel your hydrogen-powered car at home. The energy required to run the electrolytic hydrogen generator behind the garage would appear on your electric bill. See above.

It is far less expensive and more energy efficient to generate hydrogen than it is to refine petroleum into gasoline.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  7. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

Put a paper clip on a cup of water and short a 9V battery with the paper clip ends. The bubbles are oxygen and hydroen. Search google videos for a way to use the car's DC power supply accross an aray of stainless steel plates to produce the hydrogen and oxygen then run it through a hose to the car's intake. It will let the car get MUCH better gas milege. Some use a small pool filter housing to put the plates and contacts in. It fits under the hood. I just don't understand why the car manufacturers can't do it when shade-tree tinkerers are getting great success with it. It is all about $$$. The gas companies have too much of it for us to be driving anything that doesn't require gas.

8. Assassin650

Assassin650 EX-SV650 Juggernaut

220, 221.....whatever it takes.:up:
    Good luck.

9. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

It depends on several factors but we are getting hydrogen from a 1 qt water container and 4 stainless steel plates consuming about 18-20 amps on 13.5VDC. About like a set of driving lights.

10. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

:D

Now that's funny...

11. SalKhan

SalKhan Well-Known Member

And you can use all the leftover salt and crud to season your fresh hunting kill. ;)

12. noidly1

noidly1 Well-Known Member

Sorry to bust your bubble but, you can Not split atoms with electricity...
    Splitting atoms is called "Fision"
    Combining atoms is called "Fusion"
    Both of which are a Nuclear process.

However, You can Split or Create "Molecules" with electricity, heat and with a Catalyst atom or chemical such as an Acid or an Alkali.

13. crossroader

crossroader road racing junkie

As Thumper said, depending on a number of factors... electrode type/physical arrangement, electrolyte use if any, modulation of the DC power or not, and even whether or not the electrolyzer vessel is under vacuum- like engine intake vacuum- your hydrogen production will vary.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Not exactly true. You can split atoms and it not be fission although it is typically thought of as the same thing. I can't recall any good examples off the top of my head and I don't have the time to look them up. But basically several of the elements were created in labs where larger elements were split under various processes.

But for the current discussion you don't split atoms you split the molecules of water not create them. Don't need to create them. You use purified water and expose it to high voltage electricity and that causes the electrolysis that splits the H2O molecules.

Submarines use electricity to split water molecules into Oxygen and Hydrogen. They guys breathe the Oxygen and send the Hydrogen overboard.

I do not know the electricity loading that it took per cubic foot of Oxygen generated. I will see if any of my fellow bubblehead veterans(aka submariners) remember the numbers. At one time I did know the information since it was required knowledge for us engineering geeks. It is a fairly decent amount but the technology we are discussing is certainly a good investment.

15. MAGIFESQ

MAGIFESQ Well-Known Member

DING
    DING
    DING
    DING
    DING
    DING
    We have a winner!!!

16. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Just throw a shitload of alkali metal into your bathtub and you'll generate some hydrogen. Good luck capturing it. :)

17. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Please remove your tin foil hats for a second.

To store enough hydrogen to have comparable range to a gas powered car, you have to either store it as an ultra-high pressure gas or a liquid, both of which are extremely volatile (ie; a bomb waiting for an excuse to explode).

A lot of electrical grids can't handle the summer peak demand from everyone's air conditioners, there is no way its going to be able to handle millions of high voltage electrolysis plants or high capacity battery chargers.

18. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Hydrogen, from what i've read, isn't anymore dangerous than other fossil fuels.

Actually I believe the grid can handle charging cars just fine as long as the majority of people charge at night, which would be logical.

The big problem is that hydrogen doesn't really solve much, just like electric cars don't solve much. Sure they eliminate pollution from cars, but unless you reduce it from the source you haven't solved much of anything.