1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: Mechanic with Machinist background/Machinist with Mechanics background

Discussion in 'General' started by Bugslayer, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Me again.
    Our current guy just up and quit for "personal reasons". He was with us for just over 5 years and a good fit.
    Oh well.
    Excellent opportunity for someone to relocate out to Boise, Idaho
    We are a mid-size contract packager with a variety of packaging machines, both vertical form fill and seal and horizontal form fill and seal.
    Looking for an individual that is very mechanical has good trouble shooting skills on industrial equipment. You will be interfacing with pneumatic, fiber optic, servo drives and VFD systems. Some "surface" knowledge of these systems is a must.
    The maintenance shop is set up with a two axis CNC retro fit on a Bridgeport mill, a lathe, MIG and TIG welders. Being proficient with these tools is a must.
    Position will pay 70k to 80k base, with bonuses pushing you up over 100k.

We are looking for a driven self starter type, duh.

Newyork likes this.
  2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Sounds like an interesting job

3. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Good luck with your search, it’s a challenging skill set to find these days.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Saying no to a toke is a challenging skill set to find these days.

Bugslayer likes this.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

DM me your cell number and I'll text you a contact. I know a guy that knows a guy. This dude is already in the Boise area I believe.
    (This is Raymond Clark from the good old days racing with USBA BTW... Trust all is well mate! )

6. Bugslayer

Heya Raymond. All is good, good to hear from you. Looong ago good times. DM sent.

Thistle likes this.
  7. Bugslayer

Hey Raymond, got in touch with him, thank you. Unfortunately he is knee deep in his own gig right now. :(

8. sdg

sdg *

I think you're a little low. Good luck

RonR likes this.
  9. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

Bummer. Talented dude.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Sounds right up my alley. Haven't ran cnc in 20 years, but I do exactly what your looking for, in commercial printing.

Too bad that's a little further west than we had wanted to go.

What's the housing/economy like in/around Boise?

11. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i would assume its good. its where you fly into to get to sun valley ID for ski

12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Housing market in Boise is one of the hottest in the country.
    Fly into Hailey if sloping in Sun Valley ;)

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Man that gig is right up my valley. I’m a field service tech in industrial food packaging industry. Flow wrappers, tray lid, thermoformers and other types. I know how to Tig and Mig and have a small machine shop in my garage where I fool around with. I also have a 3D printer so I’m familiar with CAD and gcode.

too bad I’m in Canada.

good luck with your search. The industry in general is dying for such skills.

Bugslayer likes this.
  14. Bugslayer

Can't sugar coat the answer to that question, it's booming. Lots of folks have discovered Idaho. It's a great place to relocate and raise a family.
    Cost of living is mid to low comparatively. My feeling is everything is nuts right now, but it will come back around to normal.

15. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

This is exactly the skill set I have lol. A lot of us with CAD design, CNC programming, TIG/FAB, and PLC programming, and maintenance abilities are in high demand. We are pretty much writing our own checks...

Good on you for offering a wage and at a bracket my whole team had to basically do a giant presentation to prove is the STARTING wage for people who do this work. lol 2/5 of us were in multiple rounds of interviews with some aerospace companies. Then, out of nowhere my employer completely buckled and changed our job grades. We all got over 20% raises in hourly pay. lol One of the guys went from $23/hr to $34/hr. That's a life changing amount of money for him and he deserved it. I was 2-5 years away from being top pay for what I do. They have since added 2 more grades above this one, topped me out at my current grade, and set up a development plan to move me into the next one come promo time. We got lucky.

Good luck on finding a good fit. I know a guy that was living out in Idaho who has most of those skills. He's a solid guy and super easy to get on with. I'll reach out to him and see if he's looking. I do know he was starting to acquire some second hand CNC milling and Lathe centers though, so he may just be focused on that.

16. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I don’t know what the cost of living is out there but it seems low and if your having a tough time keeping it filled and or finding someone it probably is. The skilled trades are dying for competent people. Because of that it’s a workers market. I’ve been in trades my whole career and have been running/owning a commercial AC shop in the DC metro area for twenty years. One out of 20 if we’re lucky can come up through the apprenticeship program and be a B journeyman. Don’t get me started about finding/building an A.

Montoya likes this.
  17. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

For you guys saying the salary the OP is offering is low what do you think the salary should be?

18. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

104K is 50 an hour plus benefits.
    So gross would be 130-140?

sdg likes this.
  19. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

For that kind of skill set, I would expect $45 an hour minimum to start. Actually, a machinist makes that without the knowledge of servos, pneumatics, or VFDs so that ups it even more.

sdg likes this.
  20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hard to say.

But for reference, I have a guy scooping dog shit on commission in a take-home company truck that's averaging about 26 an hour.

EDIT: This got me wondering about the exact numbers, so I pulled a report from 13AUG20-12AUG21. So this isn't even counting his 3 weeks paid vacation.

He has worked 1747.12 total hours, computed from arrival at his first stop from driving from his home, to completion of his last stop.

He has generated 164386.94 in billed revenues.

I paid him 26% commission on base, and 52% commission on additional sold services, to total 45342.63

So he's generating 94.09 in revs an hour

and I'm paying him 25.95

I'd love to hire 5 more just like him, but instead I have to jack around with 10 jerkoffs to get done what those 5 would get done.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    AC1108 likes this.