1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted Engine Recommendations

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by peter leduc, Apr 1, 2010.

1. peter leduc

peter leduc Agaperacing.com

I'm building a project bike instead of just buying a scooter to fill the need for in town transportation. At most I'll use it on the freeway (75mph) for 18 miles a few days a week which is why I need a little more than the average scooter will deliver. I want a 125-250cc 2-stroke engine with a wide ratio 5 or 6 speed transmission. I'm figuring a single cylinder engine so I don't have to deal with 2 expansion chambers.

The bike will have a Ducati steel trellis style frame built by me, a '94 Honda RS125 front end, fuel tank and 17" wheels. In general I'm looking for recommendations like "hey, you should try to find a 200cc banshee engine" etc.

I'm going for a little something like this:
    [​IMG]

Side note; the Yamaha SDR200 fits my bill of needs perfectly so if you know anyone who has a basket case, I'd love to know about it.

2. goldman812

goldman812 Well-Known Member

be tough to find a 125 two stroke to go on the highway. yes a banshee motor would work, but it is a two cylinder. maybe a 250 motocross engine would be your best bet. if you go to a 500 it will give you lots of vibration issues.

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

For that application a KDX200 engine would be the best bet.

4. defiant900

defiant900 Well-Known Member

Try a TZR125 engine.

5. peter leduc

I like the TZR125 idea but I'm guessing it will be about as easy to find one of those as it will be to find a real SDR200. I'll take a look on Yahoo Japan but it's not really likely to find one.

As for a KDX200, that's probably about as close to what I'm looking for as it's going to get. Parts will be available for a while as well.

How about something older 80's or so that was street legal and I could "steal" the frame number/title when I take the motor from the donor bike...

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yamaha DT175-250. They were street legal trail bikes and air cooled. Or a KTM EXC engine.

7. defiant900

defiant900 Well-Known Member

Try ebay Germany and ebay UK, they seem to have a bunch of the tzr125 stuff.

8. charles

charles The Transporter

Try a Yam RD motor, either 350 or 400. don't worry about 2 expansion chambers. I have an old V-Max mill if you want raw highway power.

9. peter leduc

engines

I'm shooting for 180Lbs. or less with lights and a battery so a V-Max engine would be 99.9% overkill. It would probably be along the lines of a tzr250 engine in a YZR50 frame...

Sadly I just watched a really beautiful TZR125 swingarm sell for $40 or so in the UK. I could have really used a nice swingarm like that for less than $100.

PL

10. andy342

andy342 Well-Known Member

Yamaha Blaster

Has a lighting coil, parts are common, 6 speed, usually really cheap

11. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I have a PE250 engine which is fairly fresh. Mikuni flat slide carb, and all elecronics.... Will sell if for $75 plus shipping if interested.

12. zx250r

zx250r Well-Known Member

i have an 03 ducati swing arm i'd let go for $50 +shipping. from a 749s. if interested, email [email protected]

13. Kingair33

Kingair33 Member

Hi Peter,
    How are you planning on getting it titled? Steering head off of something already titled?

If you want a RDish motor, I have a R7C block with RD350 barrels, head, pistons and 6-speed transmission I'd be willing to let go for free if you cover shipping.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  14. peter leduc

Title and parts

I've decided the best/easiest way around the DMV is to use the frame head from an existing bike. Thus, the project will probably start with an old CB160 frame (and paperwork) and go from there.

As for everyone's offers for parts or engines, the RD350 is about twice the engine and twice as heavy as I'm looking for and the Ducati swingarm although beautiful and really cheap (1/3 ebay cost) it's going to be way too wide for my 120 rear tire. Thanks for the help guys and I'll post up some pictures once I get an engine/swingarm combo and start doing the Solidworks modeling of the frame etc. As of now I'll probably buy a KDX200 or 220 and build from there. I've seen a few for $600 and I can probably part out the rest of the bike to make up my cost for the engine etc.

Have a good one.
    PL