1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted 250/350 Single

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by swampape, Oct 12, 2016.

1. swampape

swampape Well-Known Member

Looking for a 250/350 single to run vintage with next year. Preferably race prepped but could also be down with something that needs work

Bevel Ducati preferred
    BSA/Triumph ok
    Aermacchi would be neat too

In the southeast but could ship from the southern US (socal, TX, etc)

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

How about a 500 cc BSA? 1971 B50 along the lines of:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Dave

britx303 likes this.
  3. swampape

That's a very nice bike but I had a b50 and they are a B*TCH to start, even with a decomp and kicker! Also, I want to run the 250/350 class because my buddy who does bevel ducati stuff is running it and we like racing eachother :)

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

He wants a proper bike Dave.

5. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

May have a few ...what's your price range? Have a few very fast little Ducks....

6. swampape

Depends on the condition obviously but I have a reasonable amount of cash to play with (meaning yes I know no race bike is "cheap" especially a duc). I am also fortunate enough to share a shop with a Ducati mechanic so I don't need something pristine. Not gonna win the championship so don't necessarily need anything too tricked out either.

Want to PM me with what you've got?

7. Duck150

Call me...678 896-9434 Doug Bowie

8. bj

bj Well-Known Member

If you're looking for something less exotic (read that dig as "reliable"), a buddy has a V1 Honda XL35o in a CB350 frame built by Stan Lipert. Mr. Roper won on it the last time it raced. PM if you want details.

9. Robin172

Nothing wrong with the reliability of a properly set up Ducati.

joec likes this.
  10. swampape

Roper could win on anything though right? :P

I'll DM you for more details.

Doug I'll give you a call since I'm local.

11. bj

bj Well-Known Member

You are correct sir. What I should have said was "with readily available parts and easy to work on."

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Yep, a race B50, i.e., high comp, big piston, Megacycle cam, etc., can be a wee bit hard to push or kick. That is why I use starter rollers. Figured that out in my inaugural race experience back in 1997. If your buddy races 350GP, he can bump up to 500GP and race you on the B50.

As for the comment regarding a "proper race bike", well, I let the results do the talking . . . . Ted Hubbard, David Cornelison, David Matthews and others have demonstrated what a B50 is capable of.

Cheers,

Dave

13. Robin172

A bevel drive single is really easy to work on. As for parts, they are plentiful and if you know where to look, not too expensive.

Mr Lawyer, that's not what I said.:D

14. Duck150

I can not remember the last time I had a DNF on my Ducati 250.... Very reliable bikes... Now the 450 is a different story.....

15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I won a couple of AHRMA cross country championships on a Ducati 250. I did horrible things to it and it kept on going. Just don't go out after dark with stock electrics.

16. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Have any pictures? I would like to see it.

17. swampape

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  18. bj

bj Well-Known Member

That's it. Forgot Dave had posted pictures on his blog.

19. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

I got a friend with a garage full of bologna slicers. 350's and 250's all stock and rideable in nice shape. I think he's ready to start parting with them. in central KY call Don @ 270 692 1981 9-5 wkdys . he also has a bridgestone 350 with low mileage if you lean that way.

20. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

Tom Keifer posted his entire Ducati collection up for sale about a year ago. 2 championship-winning race prepped Ducati singles. he's down here near Tallahassee Florida I can contact him if you're interested I think he was asking 10 grand for everything. He might still have them.