1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wannabe racer wants answers

Discussion in 'General' started by MightyDuc Racing, Jun 8, 2002.

1. MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing By Land, Air, and Sea

I am thinking of going road racing. I grew up dirt tracking as a kid, and miss racing desperately. I am 27 and see my chance to get out there blowing by me. I recently convinced my wife to let me go racing as soon as our house is done (about 2 months). I want to get in at an entry level with a limited amount out of my pocket, but I want to have fun in a class that is not ridiculously overcrowded and unsafe for a novice. I am thinking about an FZR400 or I saw a RZ350 race prepped for sale on this site, but it was a little more than the FZR's that I see. Which type or model bike will let me enter the most classes per weekend for the money and what else do I need to do to get started. I ride a 1998 Ducati SS900FE on the street, so I handle bigger bikes well, but I don't want to get run over in the beginning of my racing. Also, does anybody have suggestions about which leathers to buy (I can get Alpine Stars at cost, about $1000 for full suit). I am in south florida, about 2 hours from Moroso and Homestead. I appreciate any and all advice that y'all have to offer.

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

If you have the $$ go for an SV650, they are doing a bit of ass kicking and can be competetive in so many classes. If the SV is too much go for an FZR400. I love the RZ but the 2 strokes well they're 2 strokes, maintainance.

3. Blonde Ambition Racer

Blonde Ambition Racer Well-Known Member

Lightweight twins bikes (GS500, EX500, SV650) are legal for a lot of classes. FZR400's are legal for a lot of those same classes.

GS would probably be cheapest to buy initially & is relatively cheap to repair (unless you HAVE to have bodywork) and easy on tires, then probably the EX, FZR, SV.
    Of course, the SV is probably the most competitive, unless you are a helluva rider and can ride the wheels off the other "less competitive" bikes.

Oh, leathers:
    AGV had suits 1/2 price at their tent at Mid-Ohio last year. I think I've seen Fieldsheer suits for $400-$500 at Brockton Cycle (ad in CycleWorld).
    Check out the magazine ads, and search the internet and BBS classifieds, maybe even ebay.
    I've seen seams blown out of a Teknic suit after a relatively slow lowside. For $1000 you could probably get a custom suit from Barnacle Bill.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2002
  4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Search first

Search this forum for 'newbie' or 'new' or 'novice' or 'amateur' threads. Read the newbie roadracer faq, http://www.io.com/~duke/newrrfaq.htm

EDIT - Sorry, the period at the end was screwing it up

5. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

FZR400s are great bikes to start roadracing on. They are fun and pretty easy to ride fast. Also lots of them out there for sale cheap. Parts are also available if you know where to look. And there are a few of us diehards (non SV riders) that will help where we can. :D

6. GregR6

GregR6 Well-Known Member

Sdiver

Your link doesn't work for me.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as this guy... Only been riding a year. I just started riding with Nesba. Not doin too bad I guess. I've had 2 track days, but haven't been to a Race School yet. I wanna go next year, and then start racing. I've got too much $$$ already in my R6, so I'm just gonna stick with that I think. My first bike and I don't think I want anything else. I see/hear that this class is pretty tough...which is kinda intimidating, but ya gotta start somewhere.

Sdiver, I'd love to get whatever "knowledge" you were trying to link. I couldn't get it to work.
    Well...I guess I'll watch this thread, all the info is appreciated.

7. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

GregR6, If you have a nice R6 I wouldn't race it either. There are to many FZRs, Hawks, GSs, and the like available for that. Look in the classifieds here or check www.racebikesite.com for lots of other classified links. Also, are you a Jarhead? Gotta be if you hang in the Point. Nice bike # by the way.:D

8. GregR6

GregR6 Well-Known Member

Yup, IMA Jarhead

It's not that nice. An 01, I sold everything off it. Bought some thrashed sharkskinz, patched up the holes, threw on some rattle can, and now I have a track bike!:)

See? ->http://www.lostbob.dns2go.com/Uploads/track5.jpg

Not saying I couldn't ride another bike, but you know what they say about "your first". I've become really comfortable with this bike, it's handling, power, etc. I never wanna get rid of it, and to afford another bike, I'd have to. I'm still paying for this puppy.

The only thing left I have to do on it is suspension, but I've got my stock stuff set up good enough for now. The 'werks guys did it at VIR the other weekend.

And eventually some other little extras like braided lines, rearsets, stuff like that, but it's not stuff I need now.

Thanks for the link though! I'll hang on to it.

#545 Keith Palmer

10. GregR6

GregR6 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I've had that one in my favorites for some time now.

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

R6

Greg

IMHO, IF you have been riding for awhile and are comfortable with the R6, I am going to disagree with most in here and say I am glad , so far, I started racing (this season) on a 600. If you are comfortably running in the A group of NESBA, there is no reason you can't make the transition to racing fairly easily. Also, given your current investment, you are only a reworked suspension and brakes and a couple of other minor mods from having a bike capable of winning.

The 600 classes are THE most competitive and most packed grids, which can lead to the most potential danger, but also teaches you the most in the shortest time. Trial by fire, if you will. When you make it through, you have proved you can handle almost any class short of the true fire breathing monsters. Plus, with a SS R6, you can be competitive in many races per weekend. I'm not arguing against the SV650, FZR, EX, GS crowd...just saying 600 gets a bad rap that I'm not sure is entirely deserved, particularly for people who have lots of sportbike experience from track days and backroads.

If I misread your A group comments and you mean beginner not advanced, forget all of this and go get a GS :)

The biggest differences between Advanced group track days and racing, again IMHO,is:

1) The first lap mayhem (particularly the infamous Turn 1)
    2) The small opening you will need to squeeze though to gain position against anyone running your pace or just slightly slower
    3) Being aware of those same small spaces when people pass you
    4) Related to 2 and 3, the need to change lines and/or tactics in a split second, and learning the skills and discipline that teach you to react correctly when things go awry.
    5) The sheer competitiveness that pushes you for that extra position, or extra second off your lap times.
    6) Did I mention Turn 1???

Best of luck!

12. GregR6

GregR6 Well-Known Member

Sdiver,
    Thanks. Riding for a while? Well, if 1 yr is awhile then yes. I thought most guys racing have been on bikes at least 3-4 yrs.
    I cannot yet say I am totally comfortable riding in the A group. I've only done 2 trackdays and bumped twice B-I: VIR South, I-A: VIR North-the next day. I ran 2 sessions in the A group Monday afternoon (May 27). The first was with my CR from the I class, but we only got 1/2 a session because of a highside in turn 7. (which I was very very close to becoming a part of!!) Missed the highside fine, but almost ate the back tire of a guy taking the same "escape" line that I was trying to. That's the session I was bumped though. Then I got 1 more session in and felt really good, other than my shagged out 208's slipping out also in turn 7, resulting in a near highside, but luckily just a nice slapper. Anxious to see how it goes July 6th on the South crs with them. I've seen there are guys with Nesba who also race, in the I group, so I think I've picked up alot really quick. But still a LOT to learn!!

Thanks for the advice/thoughts.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Ill recommend the RZ. It is very competitive in 3 classes (Formula 2-stroke, V-5, and clubman). I decided to get back into racing after a looong absence. I really like the WERA vintage crowd. They race understanding that we all have to go to work on Monday and won't kill ya for a plastic trophy. Also, my RZ will be competitive for many more years in the vintage classes. Great bunch of people. :)

14. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

The SRX is a great race entry bike. Air cooled, simple, reliable, one cylinder, Kick start, no battery, Handles great, and is legal in 7 classes, (V-4, V-5, Clubman, LW twins, D-superbike, and LW solo 20). Very competative in V-4 and Clubman. I have one for sale that has a newly rebuilt motor and lots of go fast stuff, completely ready to race. Makes about 55 hp. Could be yours for $2500 obo. e-mail [email protected] or call 334-445-6200. Good luck.

15. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

Unless you're Greg G.
    D'oh! Did I say that out loud?
    J/K, G.;)

16. fastzx9

fastzx9 Well-Known Member

I started racing in the 600 superbike class and I am glad I did. You are forced to learn fast and you'll never forget what happens to you out there in your first two or three races. Just be smart, don't ride over your head, and pay attention to the other guys who have been there, and listen to advice if someone offers some. I don't believe in this stuff about certain bikes being better to start on. Race what you are comfortable on. If it's an R6, then wire it up and go. That's what happened to my brand new F4 a few years ago. When I decided I wanted to go racing it went with me and I have no regrets.