1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanna start racing. Need Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by mtnbkrpnk, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

My PN year I averaged less than $200 a weekend. Keep in mind though, I only attended 6 events, raced 1 race most of the time, 2 some times, and ran a GS500 in Clubman. This also included sleeping at the track and bringing food with me. I used the same set of tires all year (beauty of a small bike), and just had a ton of fun. Fast forward 3 years, I am running the 600 class and average over $500 a weekend. Make sure whatever class you run in you spend the money for good safety gear. I would recommend a small bike to start off, but the choice is yours. It will most likely cost around $300 per weekend on a small bike, and over $400 on the 600. It depends on what you want to get out of your first season...

2. vlwebdesigns

vlwebdesigns Well-Known Member

I really love when people ask for a small suggestion concerning starting up. Everyone has a different opinion about what everything costs, where to race, who to talk to, and what to buy. Bottom line, investigate the whole idea out. Sit down and figure a budget that you can afford, which includes safety gear, a bike, what classes to run, all associated fees, and good health insurance. You are the only person who can decide what will be the best option concerning budget and racing. There's plenty of used bikes and gear out there to choose from. WERA posts all the fees and schedules. There's always enough people in the industry with suggestions, recommendations, and insider deals for fellow racers. Ask and you shall receive.

3. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

One thing ppl have missed (and will probably disagree with) is go corner work for a few weekends. This will give you a (cheap) glance into what this madness is about, make some friends and pick up tips about what to do and not to do.

4. MikeM

MikeM Well-Known Member

I agree w/ JamesG. Cornerworking should almost be be a pre-req. You see things at a corner knowone else see's and gives you a whole new respect for racing in general. I know in Some Org's. it's mandotory.

5. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

Just a few things to consider,
    1. A great street rider is a midpack racer, don't get discouraged, it gets better.
    2. Watch and listen to anyone that you can, we all like new riders(our sport is growing).
    3. prepare, make a listand check it three times, I forget something all the time.
    4. Have I said anything about starting on a small bike, really is a good idea.
    5. I don't know about others, but when I stopped riding on the street, I started winning on the track.
    6. Oh yeah, SMALL BIKE
    Well anyway the small bike thing is just some of our experienced opinions talking, if you want to ride a 600, go ahead, but plan on spending$$$ on tires. I raced a 600 in late '97 and in '98, never finishing better than 3rd. Now I race an SV in lightweight twins and won three regional championships last year
    Good luck, and if you ever see a big, BIG trailer that says DIXIE SPORTS PLUS on the side, stop by and say hello.
    Allen Goodwin
    WERA ex#36

6. AnthonyDuc

AnthonyDuc Well-Known Member

What do you mean AL big BIG trailer don't be making fun [​IMG] I may have to sleep in that thing so my wife says if I spend any more money.Sure is nice to have all that room wouldn't you say. [​IMG]

7. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Gee. Now why do you think I said:
    "It can be done for less, but often times more."

8. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Sorry: I got overwhelmed by the avalanche of big numbers and missed it. [​IMG]