1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w2000 or XP?

Discussion in 'General' started by apexspeed, Nov 3, 2006.

1. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

seriously..

Im still using w98se and considering new OS on older computer but I havnt used 2000 at all and I dont care for XPs look and feel.

who uses or has used w2000? and pros/cons?

so far Ive read w2000 is faster than XP on older systems and some say its the best MS OS ever?

thanks

/////

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

XP is better in pretty much every way, except that it takes more RAM to run well. If you've got 512MB, you'll be ok. As for the feel, you can easily use the "classic" desktop and it will not use the XP 'feel' stuff...that's what I do.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, XP Pro with everything set old school.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Cuz that's how we roll...

...or something.

5. packfan

packfan El Presidente

They are both solid... 2000 pro does not support as much of the bells and whistles multimedia stuff XP does.

If you have odd hardware drivers can be harder to locate. alot of win2000 drivers work for hardware in XP but few XP hardware drivers will work in 2000pro.

If you go to Belarc.com and download their free tool, Belarc advisor it will give you a nice breakdown of your hardware. check to make sure there are win2000 drivers available.

2000 pro is pretty much aimed at adminstrative duties... email, surf, office...

get the service packs for 2000 if you go that way... think SP4 is the current SP for 2000...