1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR46 Retires....well getting there

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Apr 28, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

as part of the retirement plan it seems

"In 2022 the VR46 Team will debut in the MotoGP class together with Tanal Entertainment Sport & Media with Saudi Aramco, as the new Main Sponsor for the period 2022-2026: the new ARAMCO Racing Team VR46 will heat the track supported by other important sponsors of the world scene."

"The Aramco-VR46 deal includes continuing in Moto2, as the Saudi branding effectively replaces Sky Italia on the VR46 bikes (Sky is also thought to be a part owner of the VR46 team)."

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/976181/1/vr46-gets-saudi-sponsor-motogp-2022-and-beyond

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I like it.

3. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

For the Rossi haters :D

wou7lkge2n941.jpg

RightSideUp, BHP41, DWhyte91 and 9 others like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, there's one guy will definitely not happy about that deal! David Emmett has been on the twitter rant. I'm guessing access to that team will be seriously restricted if he keeps this up. :D

BigBird likes this.
  6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

How can you not admire that attitude? He has certainly stayed long past his prime, but he has earned that right.

7. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

He seems to like the counter-clockwise tracks more than the clockwise ones, based on my reading of his tweets etc.

8. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I'm not on the twitters but if he's pissed about the same thing other fans and observers are, I'm with Emmett.

Vale sells out to Saudi oil, a Saudi company who backs keeping women in the dark ages, turns a blind eye to humanitarian rights, had ties to Kashogi, etc...

Not that it matters but #46 just lost a lifetime fan - fuck that guy.

NemesisR6 and henry_carlson like this.
  9. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Yea I don't know how close to the ban line discussing the Saudis are but yes, he questions why Rossi, who can get any sponsor he wants, choose the Saudis with their terrible track record.

younglion likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Maybe because they were the only ones willing to put up enough money to actually field a competitive MotoGP team and the other sponsor options would have been only enough money for second tier efforts? Fielding a competitive MotoGP team is very expensive.

The Great One, ToofPic and BigBird like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't go there. on the dungeon level shit...

Ignoring the specifics, there are things about most every single sponsor out there people can hate for reasons they think are perfectly valid.

12. henry_carlson

100 percent agree.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

Energy Drink ingredients , Tobacco, Pianos....lots of things to hate

vizsladog and Sabre699 like this.
  14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Without going dungeon here, and in general terms only, the more contact that a group with undesirable traits has with a group possessing more desirable traits, the more opportunity is presented for positive change. Isolation reinforces negative traits.

15. henry_carlson

Meh if its anything like what I have seen in European Soccer it wont do a damn thing. Only redeemable thing I can see is that they will splash the cash at every turn and make sure the product is more than well funded.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Owwww, Rossi is taking Saudi money. We need to cancel him! :rolleyes:

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Stay out of banned camp but business is about money not ethics.
    Like hearing a song from your developemental years used on TV for a toilet paper promo.

ToofPic and the relic room like this.
  18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Didn't he go on and on about cigarettes back in the day only to get sponsored by Gauloises on the Yamaha?

I think we know that, just as anybody else in mega$$$ sports industries (or anything, really), peoples convictions are readily swayed when you start wafting stacks of Benjamin's in front of their nose.......

19. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

He sure did.

Saudi's are jumping on the "Sport-washing" bandwagon and hoping their dollars turn into a blind eye turned towards their less than stellar Reputation globally.

I appreciate the need for large amounts of cash to run the team but I have a really hard time believing that the worlds most well known 2-wheel legend has trouble finding the finances between Dianese/AGV, Sky, Monster, Dorna, VW group, Oakley, as well as any others than aren't lined up to throw their cash at him.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

i think the biggest thing was that it seems to be a long term partnership, and not just a yearly or two year deal. something probably more akin to Marlboro and Ducati

The Great One likes this.