1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VP Fuel?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by #249, Feb 24, 2003.

#249 Well-Known Member

Just wondering what fuels will work best in the 600 Superstock class? I'm running a CBR600F4i, with no internal engine mods.

2. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Do a search on "FUEL".
    I think there were at least 100 differences of opinion.
    You'll be amazed how much this topic was discussed.
    The short answer is: You'll have to determine that for yourself.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Ultimate 4.You just need to tune your bike to it, via :Power Comander.

4. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

oxygenated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 90 octane. Nutec.the price doesn't seem that expensive compared to 93 octane these days. I would test the new unleaded oxygenated fuels "GT series" Sunoco. the leaded fuels w/ the fuel injection have been known to cause problems. Vary the ignition if possible or take the extra money and buy a lap timer and a few more track sessions.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I would not run Nushit in my lawnmower.We have been running leaded fuels in injected bikes for years.Have not ever had injector problems.

6. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

spoken like a regular VP dealer...:D

BTW...until your factory supported rider you don't need expensive fuel. Its better to put your money in track time pllus 93 octane is everywhere...

but if need an edge.....VP's ultimate 4.....is the most bang for the buck! :D

7. mdr14

mdr14 What?

I'm personally partial to VP.
    I have used Sunnoco's GT plus before. It did make power..... But, in every bike we ran it in, We saw unexplained power losses over a few weekends. I saw this on several different bikes.

I do not see any significant power losses when using VP.

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You won't as long as you take care of the fuel.

9. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Alright Gary, enough slamming Nutec. The first few times I let it slide but enough is enough.

I understand you are a VP Dealer and do your best to promote the products you represent, but let the product speak for itself.

Nutec is excellent Fuel, it has consistently produced the most power of any Fuel we have tested on the Dyno (yes we've tested VP).

It has also consistently produced the most power without tuning. Another words, pour it in and you get an instant increase in power with no fiddling.

Now, I will say that VP is the next best choice and an excellent Fuel. The differance in power increase between the two fuels is small.

People, Yes there was a problem with a batch of Nutec Fuel that was distributed early last season. It was caused by the refinery that produced the fuel (they did not follow Nutec's specifications correctly) coupled with a chemical that has since been removed from the formula. Nutec took back any unused Fuel from that batch number and replaced it with a new version called Special 5.

10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I have been waiting for you to chime in:eek: I wonder what all the people that lost motors and purse money get back from Nutec? I have never heard of VP melting motors.If it's the last thing I do, it will be to get you off the stuff.

11. Team Serpent

I've heard people claim that their motor failed because of the Nutec but I'm not convinced that happened. Reason being is that the problem was mainly condensation (water) in the Fuel. What would happen is that a maple syrup looking substance (and just as sticky) would build up in the carbs, ports and valve train. I ran some of the bad batch, my motor didn't melt.

Actually the only person I've heard claim that Nutec melted their motor was Matt Blashfield. Matt knew what compression he was running and he also new the octane level of the Nutec fuel he decided to run. Granted the Nutec rep told him he should be ok, but hey, he new the octane wasn't high enough for the compression ratio he had. It's to bad he was given miss-information but I don't think it was the formula of the fuel or chemicals contained within the fuel. I think it was a combination of not a high enough level of octane coupled with condensation contamination.

Gotta go, have an appointment this afternoon. I'll catch up with ya later.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I will talk to you off line, but I have something for you to test!

13. Team Serpent

Cool

Hey, I did want to let everyone know that my post surrounding Matt's motor melt down is pure speculation on my part. My post was formulated around information gathered from Matt's previous postings and other third party information. It was wrong of me to post on something that I don't have first hand knowlage of.

I'll try to stick to the facts.

Fact: The subject in question occured almost a year ago.

Fact: Since that time many, many races and even championships have been won running Nutec fuel with no reports of any ill effects on equipment (that I've heard of anyway)

Fact: Nutec Fuel consistently has produced more power than any other Fuel I have tested.

Fact: Both Nutec and VP are excellent Fuels.

Does that sound accurate? :D

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yes:) But I know many teams have switched over because of that, and also I have seem the inside of some Nutek motors, that had melted because of unburnt fuel left in the motor.

15. Team Serpent

Not looking to debate but am intersted to know:

When did you see these motors?

Please describe what melted means.

Where was the unburnt fuel left in the motor?

enquiring minds want to know :)

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Before the GNF 2 years ago.At Evansville Superbike Shop.(My old builder) guy had a TL that was running Nutek.
    We tore it apart because it would not run right.The squish area was eaten away.You would have to ask him more about it.I was also told Mark had the same problems.I know it makes big hp, but you know what they say about one bad experence.

17. mdr14

mdr14 What?

Now, thats the interesting thing. We sent in a fuel sample to Sunnoco, The fuel tested out to be still good. So, that didn't explain the mysterious power losses that we saw... Simple solution, We don't run Sunnoco GT plus any longer..

I have never had that problem with VP... Even with VP from last season. Still putting out the same power as a fresh can. Isn't VP fuel great.

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yes it is Matt, now all we have to do is to gey my boy Jason hooked on it:)

19. Team Serpent

Ok, this is what I'm talking about, your giving an example from 2 years ago with no explanation on how fuel, either burnt or unburnt, ate away metal. Please, the stuff is not acid. Sounds like to me someone had some rod stretch going on and was slapping the head with the piston. Common problem with twins, especially big twins with big heavy pistons.
    Again Speculation, pure speculation and it can't be any different on your end, third party info ("I was told") and speculation.

This type of debate could go on forever and my original intention was not to start one. My original intention was to politely ask you to stop unfairly slamming one company's product to sell more of the product you distribute. My hope is that you will start to sell your product by promoting it's strengths and your service abilities. Personally I'm more likely to do business with someone who practices "best business" ethics, but hey, that's just me. If you don't get it then you don't get it.

20. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Didn't know metal was stretchable. ;)