1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Trifecta - Road Atl - Barber - Tally - Cash Prizes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

To celebrate the revised WERA vintage format a new 3 race trifecta with cash prizes will be held:

Road Atlanta Saturday June 2 during Cycle Jam;
    Barber Saturday July 30; and
    Tally Saturday August 18.

Prizes posted for the combined Clubman, V4, V3, 500GP, FSS race.
    Race will be run on track under normal WERA procedure and points will be awarded as per normal WERA championship rules.

Prizes to be awarded per handicap system as used in 2016 at Barber and last year at AMA VMD.
    Prizes for each round: 1st = $150; 2nd = $125; 3rd = $100; 4th = $75 and 5th = $50. $1500 total.

Classes eligible to participate in the prize fund: 350GP; 500GP; V1; V2; V3; V4; F500 and F2-stroke.
    Classes are the historic classes as per the rule book.

Handicaps and other details will be posted at a later date.
    Make plans to run the entire series.

2. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

WOW ! Very Nice !

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You da' Man!

Cheers,

Dave

4. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

Awesome. $$$. And btw, Barber is JUNE 30th.

5. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

You are correct. Barber Saturday June 30. Thanks, Ron

6. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Classes and Registration

Handicaps will be determined based upon an average historical performance of each vintage class per the rulebook over the past 10 years. Each class will have a handicap relative to the others. For the 2018 season WERA is not running all its vintage classes at any event except AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days. At other events to match track time consumed versus the number of entries, the vintage classes will be consolidated into a few races. The cash prize race will be:

Clubman, V4, V3 and 500GP

Registration for this race will be either for the actual class in which the bike fits per the rulebook or on the “bump up” class basis.

Bike class = registration class

350GP = 500GP

500GP = 500GP

V1 = V3

V2 = V3

V3 = V3

V4 = V4

F500 = V3

F2stroke = Clubman

Pre – Race Procedure. Following the mandatory riders’ meeting at which all competitors must be present, the promoter will make a grid sheet available to the riders. Any entrant who has registered on a “bump up” basis will have the opportunity to provide the promoter with the correct class per the rulebook, so they can receive their correct handicap. Failure to provide this information prior to the race will result in the calculation of the handicap results and prize money based on the class in which the person registered.

7. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Race procedure. The race will be run per WERA procedures and points will be awarded towards championships in the normal manner.

Prize calculations. Following the end of the race, each competitor will have his handicap subtracted from his overall elapsed time. Prizes will be awarded for the first five lowest corrected elapsed times.

Post-race procedure. Promoter can require any bike which is provisionally in prize paying position to be sent to the Technical Inspectors to confirm its eligibility in the class.

How to win a prize:

1) Finish ahead of everyone (or nearly everyone) in your class; and

2) Run a pace that is better than (or at least near) the historical average for your class.

3) Hope that no one is winning another class at a pace that is much better than that class’s historical average.

How to collect prize money. Be present at the awards ceremony on Saturday afternoon.

Handicaps will be posted a few weeks before each event and are specific to each track.

#156 Well-Known Member

I talked to steve-o yesterday at the Daytona 200 and he told me about these changes . I like this. I will be at road a on saturday in v-4 for this money. GREAT IDEAL !!!!!!!!!!!

9. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Round 1 - Road Atlanta Handicaps

To determine the handicaps, the results from 6 previous dry races were used to calculate a differential based upon the class winning times. When the handicap is applied to the slower classes the cash winners could come from any class. Based upon the average time differential for the winners of each of the classes, the handicaps will be:

Clubman, V4, V3, 500GP Race

Handicap (seconds/lap)

F 2-stroke 0

F500 .4

V3 1.2

V4 2.5

V2 7.3

V1 9.6

500 GP 12.6

350GP 14.9

G50, 500 Manx .4

AER350, 7R, 350 Manx 7.3

Formula 2-stroke is the baseline and has been the fastest class on average over the years. Certain period GP race bikes (now seldom seen) have demonstrated a considerable advantage over the bikes currently running in those classes. 500 Manx and G50 riders have matched Formula 500 over the years and will run with a F500 handicap. Aermacchi 350, AJS7R and 350 Manx will run with a V2 handicap. Clubman bikes which are not vintage “bump up” entries are not eligible for a cash prize.

Handicaps will be different at each round based on the historical performance of each class at the different tracks.

I will be at Tally on Saturday to answer questions related to the series. Please look me up.

Ron Raven #397

10. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

No v-5 ... trying to get the old girl running good ....

11. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

V5 runs in the race with Formula 2 this year, so it is not part of the handicap cash series. Only the Saturday rounds of the "Clubman, V4, V3, 500GP" race at Road Atlanta on June 2, Barber on June 30 and Tally on August 18. Sorry no V5. Looking forward to seeing you out there in 350GP.

12. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Ron and Sean, are the vintage races on Saturday or Friday at Cycle Jam? What runs on Friday? I always remember that Vintage races were on Thursday or Friday, requiring a day off to race. Trying to get details of my next trip out of town accurate. Thanks

13. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

When we set this promotion up a couple months ago I asked which day the race would run. Since there are no stand alone vintages races now, it would run in the Clubman slot which was expected to be on Saturday. Mongo is the final word on schedules, but as far as I know we are still on for Saturday. Stay tuned for Mongo's response.

videojack likes this.
  14. videojack

" it would run in the Clubman slot "
    I gotchya!

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All Vintage and Sportsman sprints on Saturday, Friday is practice all day.

16. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Cycle Jam schedule is up. Race 9 on Saturday is round one of the vintage trifecta. Registration is open. Sign up now. See you at Road Atlanta.

17. videojack

I'm pre-registered. Emailed the 350/500 GP crowd.
    Hope to have a great turn out.
    Got a newbie headed for race school for Cycle Jam!

18. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Can you add a 250 class ? Since you have 350 in program, with no 350 class in Wera, why not 250 also ?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because as always you're the one single person who rides it? :D

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Let me chime in, . . . simply because I cannot help myself . . . .

First, "one single person" is redundant. But, with Dougie, I understand normal rules don't apply, emphasis is required, and hence, it is probably appropriate.

Second, I believe Dougie has adopted the Field of Dreams approach: Build it and they will come. However, that has not, yet, been the situation.

carry on . . . . .

Cheers,

Dave