1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage tires question

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Norton 357, May 4, 2022.

1. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

It looks like we may be putting the Norton back on track to run V3 and V4 and I have a couple of tire questions.

Are Avons available? I would need 18", probably 120 rear and maybe 100 or 110 front

I know Contis are available in the size I need but I never raced the bike on radials. Is there a big difference between bias ply and radials?

Who is the ContinentaI tire guy? We ran Metzlers last time we raced the bike so it's been a minute.

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think Stickboy has the new Bridgestone vintage race tires. I like the Stones.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The problem is the 120 rear size. Both Metz and Stones have some really good radials but they require wider rims, etc.

4. Norton 357

We are running a stock swingarm and will be racing in AHRMA Sprortsman too so we are as wide as we can go.

I only saw 17" Stones, do they make 18" in race/street compound?

5. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

6. Norton 357

Yeah, but the rears all look to be too wide.

7. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

conti classic attacks come in 90 thru 120-18

8. Norton 357

Yeah, that looks like the way we will go.
    I've been helping a friend who's racing a CB 350 and he's running Attack 3s and they seem to be good.
    I was just wondering if there was anything else out there

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I wonder what Stan Keyes is running....????....I want to say Avons, but not sure.

Yea, those CR3's are pretty good on the CB350.....the CR2's werent bad before that.

I wish there were still Dunlops.

10. Norton 357

What size rear are you running Charlie? Those CR3s look good.

I was trying to figure out if we had options but unless we can get a 130 in there it doesn't look like there are many.

I don't remember our rim width but we could run up to a WM 4 in Sportsman 750. The Norton swingarm was designed to take a 4.10x19" so that's our limiting issue. That and I don't want to run any more tire than I absolutely need, and we ran pretty well with the 120 ME 99 on the rear in the past.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Avon had the Super Venom race tires but it's been a while since I bought them. Great tires on my RD and RZ.

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'll look tonite, but think its a 100, maybe 110, but thinking 100

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Avon lists the AM22 front and AM23 rear, but I don't know who the supplier is. I ran them on my CB350 because the 130/650 - 18 rear is designed to fit a narrower rim. I ran the 110 -18 front on a 2.15 rim and the 130/650 rear also on a 2.15 rim. They were a little oversized and made the steering pretty heavy, but I liked that. Others may not.

14. Norton 357

I spoke with Stan Keyes and he also runs 120 rears, Avon when he can find them. The 130 rear just won't clear the swing arm and makes the bike turn in slower, not something I like. With the smaller tire the bike felt light and quick which suited my riding style

He said Tucker Rocky is an Avon distributor but I think I am going with the Contis because they seem to be easier to get my hands on.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Tucker and Parts Unlimited both sell Avon but as we all know getting containers unloaded to stock the suppliers is tough these days

16. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Avon AM22/23 in race compound.

17. Norton 357

Do you know of a source? Everything I have seen says out of stock . Stan is looking for a rear too

18. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

avon am22 are available for rear in a 110 race compound, great tire, I used it both front and rear on my old guzzi until I went to 17inch, the am22 is appreciably lighter than the 23

19. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

heidenau might be a option

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

True