1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Racing in Washington State

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by pscook, Nov 18, 2017.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Here's a short video focused on the Vintage scene in Washington State with WMRRA. I'm #217, and I'm on a borrowed CB175. We have an annual "Le Mans start" CB160/175 race during our Sounds of the Past weekend. Our typical weekend is practice on Saturday and two heat races (scored Olympic style) on Sunday. But during the SOTP weekend we have a couple of sprints on Saturday as well as Sunday.

#220 is Tim O'Mahony and he's the CB175 Guru. He's also a damn fast racer, so when you see me in front of him, that's because he slowed (after battling with 676, until 676 pulled off with a mechanical) to hang out with his wife Karen, #801 (true love indeed!). He passed me right back in time for the checker during the Le Mans race, so he kept his streak alive. #219 is Tim Fowler, one of the instigators of the CB160/175 scene up here. Yes, he used crutches to get to his bike and properly schooled a bunch of the young folks during the weekend (as well as the preceding and following meetings, ad infinitum).

The second half of the video is the typical Vintage "heat," where we are all lumped together and grid up in waves (open, 500, 250). It's not the best, but it works for us. I believe that the Vintage wave is anything pre-1972, drum brakes (unless stock). We also have a couple of "classic" classes, but the Vintage crowd is where it's at.

Enjoy!

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That was awesome!!

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Bicycle tires yikes.

Was the one guy really on crutches or was that a gag

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Tim has pretty severe plantar fasciitis, so the crutches help him around. That weekend was pretty bad for him as I remember, but it comes and goes. But he does have a wicked sense of humor, so a little bit of both?

I will say that the 160/175 tiddler racing has renewed my passion for racing. Close racing at 55 MPH is pretty awesome. Passing a CB350 around the outside on those little stinkbugs is even better.

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Looked like you guys had a blast

pscook likes this.
  6. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Hopefully.......I will see you guys next year for the whole schedule !!!!!!

pscook likes this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I found out that they guy who loaned me a bike at another round is the one who shot and made this video. He told me that Dave Roper sent him a link to this post, and then Don made the connection between my user name and my real name... hilarity ensued.

So, big thanks to Don Lange, #717, for the video and the loaner. And for buying my other race bike. And for buying a dirt bike so we can go riding all year 'round. He's hooked, and I'm one of his suppliers, apparently.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Come find us in the vintage pits (obviously...). I'll be on a random CB175 (#217) pitted with #220 and likely 717, and who knows who else. Down at the (almost) farthest end from track exit. Just look for the bicycle tires!

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

VERY cool man!......I like those little bikes.

Hey appreciate your efforts with Boeing stock too.....yea baby!....maybe I can build this sloper 175 I have with my dividend checks....hmmmm.

pscook likes this.