1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage or Not

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by lizard84, Dec 1, 2001.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Same here,

I also think the Ducati 851 is a great bike. Looking at how far that line of V-twins have come in World superbike from the other factorys almost laughing behind there backs, to them screaming in protest at how they dominate it now was a great story to follow.

2. RMS40

RMS40 Well-Known Member

You guys don't get it, do you... All Weber is trying to do is stir up a bunch of you so he can get more posts on the BBS! When he isn't trying to win the posting contest he's out in the woods shoving sticks up hornets' nests, then he runs to the next nest and tells the first one "they did it"! He is right though, this is the most entertaining the Vintage BB has been in a long time!

Bob Stanley

3. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

At least he's smart enough that he doesn't get himself into the scenario where he would "run to the next bear and tell the first one 'he did it'"!

[This message has been edited by Diesel (edited 12-04-2001).]

4. lizard84

Now Bob, I don't really care about my post count, Mongo can turn the users post count off any time he feels like it , thats fine by me.

The Vintage BBS did however, need a little boost, What have we had, some 300 or more posts since everyone got their pantys in a twist?

As far as the VRC goes, thankless job, more power to you. I only know Bucky (spelling?, great looking BMW, nice rearsets) & George & his wife. Don't really want to piss off George much, with his backround, I suspect he's packing, Marge on the other hand is the one I should be scared of [​IMG]

I look at the bikes in the vintage series like books on a full bookshelf. Keep on adding new books on it and in time, something got to give to make room for them. I don't want all the old ones to get pushed off the other end. When your in the pits watching a vintage race, its a different deal, the sight, the sound, and yes, even the smell. What about a bunch of 95 mutis stirs the soul?

But hey, thats just my opinon, I could be wrong....

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

[​IMG]

A picture is worth a thousand words - if this doesn't do something for you then you are clinically dead.

I realize this is a twin not a multi but to those riders who own one I'm sure they stir their soul just as your bike does yours. I still want to know why these racers are wrong for wishing to race their machinery in a class where htey might be semi competitive...

[This message has been edited by Mongo (edited 12-04-2001).]

6. lizard84

Nice bike. Notice I didn't say nice vintage bike.

Yep, its not a multi, nice pick up. Must have missed the post on how far the Ducati has come.
    Love those vintage forks & vintage carbon cans, single sided swingarm. Hell, it can't even race in heavy twins unless its in supersport trim. Like Leno said "Give me a bike you can see through"

Keep thinking like that and we will have FZR 400's in Formula 500 before we know it.

Add "clinically dead" to my list of names [​IMG]

Highsides & lowsides may break my bones

But names will never hurt me [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by lizard84 (edited 12-04-2001).]

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah but in the post I responded to, you said nothing about 95's not being Vintage, just that they have no soul - I submit they do.

As for the names - I hope someone is keeping track, I've totally lost count [​IMG]

8. lizard84

And if your going to load up the file size by posting pics on vintage theads, the least you could do was post some vintage bikes [​IMG]

9. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

WERA Vintage serves the interest of WERA raceces. AHRMA serves the interests of AHRMA riders. Not all groups appeal to all riders.

------------------
    George
    THE Rain Director

10. Tri-309

Tri-309 Well-Known Member

Im into true vintage racing as much as a person could be. my closest track is five hours and travel as far as NH. to race.I do believe v-6 v-7 could have a better name, but you come to watch on sat. you only see vintage.they race sun. and don,t take one second of my track time.SO if it gives someone a good class to race safely and go home in one piece.I think most everyone will agree they are not vintage, but out dated.If they can help us as a whole $$$ we all benifit.

11. lizard84

What forum are you posting in? Is it not, Vintage?

What Topic are you posting on? Is it not, Vintage or not?

And I said, "stir the soul " Metal has no soul, A fact, I would think you, would be aware of . Next time your at mass, perhaps you can ask a priest his thoughts on that topic.

Reread the topic, meanwhile, I'll pull one of those old books down from the bookshelf. Nothing quite as good as as another read of a good old book.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry - I did misquote - I still submit that all bikes stir the soul.

As for your assertions about what is or is not "Vintage" and therefore open for discussion in this forum I refer you to the following from Merriam-Webtser's Collegiate Dictionary:

Main Entry: 1vin·tage
    Pronunciation: 'vin-tij
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, alteration of vendage, from Middle French vendenge, from Latin vindemia grape-gathering, vintage, from vinum wine, grapes + demere to take off, from de- + emere to take
    Date: 15th century
    1 a (1) : a season's yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard (2) : WINE; especially : a usually superior wine all or most of which comes from a single year b : a collection of contemporaneous and similar persons or things : CROP
    2 : the act or time of harvesting grapes or making wine
    3 a : a period of origin or manufacture <a piano of 1845 vintage> b : length of existence : AGE

Looks to me like it means age, not old.

Anyone seen the 2002 Vintage R1's? I really think the forward facing airbox and the FI will put it back on a par with the GSXR1k - how bout you?

13. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

This has been a vastly entertaining, and educational, discussion. [​IMG]

Here's something that puzzles me. The biggest beef seems to be about big, fast "newer" (88-93) motorcycles like GSXR's, F2's, etc...

Yet I can race, if I desired, a '02 GS or EX500 and nobody would raise a fuss. Isn't that a slight double standard? Aren't you essentially saying that as long as it's small and inherently uncompetetive it's OK? But if it's a multi and/or big there's an issue? [​IMG]

You're kvetching about motos that aren't even 10 years old. Yet WERA Vintage lets motos like that run in V4 and V5 all the time.

Now, IMHO, as long as the new classes run on a seperate day, what's the problem? In order for any organization to continue, it needs revenue. If these classes will be popular, not interfere with the "traditional" classes and bring in cash...what's the problem? Besides philosophy? [​IMG]

(Edit: Changed that to the before traditional. Damn typos...)

[This message has been edited by EMathy (edited 12-05-2001).]

14. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

That's because the GS and EX haven't really changed in over a decade. They have motors that were designed over twelve years ago... far from todays cutting edge technology. The same would go for a brand new 2002 Enfield Bullet... it may be "new" but the motor is still, essentially, a 40+ year old design.

But of course that won't stop us from kvetching... Oy!

[This message has been edited by Diesel (edited 12-05-2001).]

15. EMathy

True. And I realize this. Yet I think my basic point still stands. It's a selective/elitist attitude.

If we're talking about having true "Vintage" how do engines that came off the line last year make the grade? Even if they do suck. Isn't that a violation of the spirit of Vintage as espoused by some?

It's apparently not. Yet a '89-'93 sportbike is a violation of that spirit. Ummm...Hokay! [​IMG]

16. reknelb

reknelb U must have Klingon blood

No, because GS, EX aren't vintage in my opinion. They're clubman and light twins.

17. EMathy

My point is that the precedent is already there for slightly more modern motorcycles to run in WERA Vintage.

It's a question of where the cutoff is. Again, speaking for myself, if the newer motos run on a seperate day and bring in additional revenue...what's the beef?

It's not as if no motorcycles less than 10 years old can run in any WERA Vintage class, ever. They already do.

18. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Did you write this during the same sitting? You just tried arguing against a point you claim to have realized only a few sentences before.

"Like design regardless of year" is something that has been in the vintage portion of the rulebook for years. It's not a new selective/elitist concept at all.

19. robw122

robw122 Well-Known Member

allright, so we now have the dictionary definition of vintage. that helps. why is it that we can't ride what we like without anybody bitching about it? i propose a new class....i'd like to race in the "i want a new bike but i have to pay my tuition" class. i don't hear the corc guys whining about differences in technology. weird. so some bikes take more insight and effort to race competitively, big deal. we all work on our bikes, we all try to make them as fast as possible. are you better at it because you can do it with breaker points and twin shocks? i doubt it. it's nice to see some action on this side of the bbs, but let's not forget we're all supposed to be on the same team. oh yeah, to make room for my new class, we'll have to get rid of one of the others. i say boot the gs 450's off the grid so i can ride more. rob "suzuki riding scum" wigdorski.

20. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Very true. Some machines have not changed since they were introduced. Even largers machines. Can anone tell the difference between a 1975 and a 1984 R100 BMW? Besides the color, I mean.

Most of the posts realize that there is a need for more Vintage riders across the board. The Classsic classes were instituted years ago to give the AHMRA machines a place to run in WERA, but not necessarily in an all-AHRMA class. That whole Classic, F-2stroke, F-500 deal was an effort to give the AHRMA rider a place to race in WERA Vintage.

Believe me, members of the VRC were adamant in their interpretation of what is Vintage. The amazing thing, though, was that everyone respected everyone else's position. I pushed for inclusion of a class of machines in the Vintage program that the majority felt were best excluded from a specific class. Amazingly, some of those same machines are fervently debated here on the bbs.

I'm not saying any one point of view was right or wrong when we dicussed ideas. We just didn't browbeat one another. Browbeating lead nowhere.

------------------
    George
    THE Rain Director