1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veteran Racers "Please Help"

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by racerxxx, Sep 30, 2002.

1. racerxxx

racerxxx Active Member

I Started learning about racing 6 months ago, I've done everything i could learning about motorcycles except racing one. I just turn 17 so i save every penny i earn. This is something i wont more than anything. I have about 400-500$, That ive been saving up, If anybody has any ideas please write back.

2. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Once you get a bike the first step is to take a racing school. Check out http://www.edbargyracingschool.com for details.

If you can't afford a bike and have friends that race you can borrow a bike to take the school. Once you take the school you should do some track days to get comfortable on a racebike on the track.

A WERA race license will cost you $85. Practice and race fees are listed on this site at the following link. http://www.wera.com/pages/fees.html

Your biggest investment should be in safety gear. Don't skimp on your safety. Buy good leathers, gloves, boots and helmet. Learn to ride a stock bike fast before you make any mods to it.

This isn't a cheap sport so be prepared to spend all your spare money on racing and then some. There are always unexpected expenses in racing.

Good luck getting out there and keep us posted on your progress.

Tom

3. hazbin

hazbin forgotten crewman

buy golf clubs,i made more cash golfing this year than racing!we even won summit!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

And you had a great celebration party afterwards. ;)

5. David Swarts

David Swarts Well-Known Member

Read

Read Roadracing World & Motorcycle Technology. You can find a subscription link and other information on www.roadracingworld.com.

Another idea would be to volunteer to come help an established racer in the pits during a race weekend near you. For the investment of your time, you would receive an incredible amount of first-hand information, experience, contacts, etc.

6. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

Re: Read

Listen to David....I can use a second pair of hands during the GNF :)
    Just a year ago I was in similar situation. The more you learn the easier it is.
    I spent last year doing track days getting up to speed with Bargy and hangin at the races looking at everything and asking a lot of questions. When racers see somebody that's interested and new in this sport they'll usualy bend backwards. They like to talk about racing and stuff anyway.
    Good luck !

7. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Schools

Whats the concensus on Keith Codes schools? Is all the hype about "slide bikes", "lean machine", and all that just hype or top of the line instruction? I'm in for a winter school before the season starts.