1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vapor-tight fuel jugs?

Discussion in 'General' started by rice r0cket, Apr 26, 2021.

1. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Trying to reduce the amount of fuel vapor in the van, I thought it was the bikes, but it's actually the two 5-gallon VP Racing jugs that's putting out the most vapor.

Anything that's better?

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If they don't vent, they may split.

How about putting them on one of those trailer hitch carriers?

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

If a gas container cannot vent, and it goes from a lower temperature to a higher temperature, there could be serious problems.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

how old are your jugs (thats what she asked)

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Man I almost died one time with a half can of MR12 in the van. I thought with the back windows cracked open and both front windows down it would be okay. I pulled over and dumped that shit out on the side of I-90 and never ran the putride shit again. Fuck... you can smell MR12 through a brand new sealed can. I suggest putting your fuel on a hitch carrier outside of the van. Drain the fuel out of the bike as well before you leave the track.

6. rice r0cket

I thought venting was made illegal and the can/jug material needed to take up the difference in temperatures, which is why I was surprised that the VP jugs did it. They're less than a year old.

https://www.surecanusa.com/post/2018/07/09/collapsing-gas-cans-epa-regulations

Hitch carrier is fine, I just don't like leaving shit out in the open though that can easily "walk away".

7. rice r0cket

It looks like VP is dodging the "portable fuel container" designation by saying it's a "motorsports container". I guess that explains why they are selling it in colors other than red too.

They do pour a lot faster than normal containers though.

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/vp-motorsport-container/?c=237

BigBird likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

keep in mind if youre getting fuel in certain States... the jugs need to be red. :( CA & NJ come to mind

9. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

Get the 15 gallon drums. The metal caps seal way better than the 5 gallon plastic spouts.

fastfreddie likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not if they follow the DOT regs, there is no color mandate. I know the last time I checked NJ doesn't have a state level one, never bothered to look for Cali since they let you do self serve. The can colors are suggestions only at the national level.

Back to the original question - they don't exist. For vans opening the back windows and the front doesn't work since that has the airflow from the back windows to the front :D Great way to suck down a bunch exhaust fumes in older vehicles as I found out many many years ago :crackup:

11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I was at NJMP on Friday and pumped my own fuel into a blue VP jug. :eek:

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Funny thing about 15gal drums...

When I got mine, I was only charged for the fuel within. That was almost twenty years ago. I've given away drums, turned others into garbage cans, used them as "used oil" receptacles and only have two left that I use solely for gas.
    I looked into buying a drum but I can't find fuel in that amount anymore...something to do with Homeland Screwing You, according to the fuel refiner. Well, by themselves, those drums are damn near as expensive as if they were full of fuel! WTF?

Anyone got a line on 15gal drums?

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

All I read was "tight jugs".

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I need to find a better jug than the VP ones. A little venting would be fine, I'll be damed if I can get them to not straight up leak at the cap. The o-ring just doesn't seem to tighten onto the sealing lip worth a damn. I might try the Risk Racing 5gal next, looks like it's easier to pour as well?

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Chain through the handles and the carrier then put a lock on it.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

:blart::blart:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Odd on pumping your own fuel there but a number of us had discussions about can colors with them, that's why I did the research a few years back :D

19. rice r0cket

I burned my morning researching and found these Polisport ones that are supposedly leakproof and meet EU transport regulations, but I didn't actually read up on what EU regulation they met. They don't have the stupid push-to-dispense shit that is EPA mandatory, which is why it seems like they're not sold anywhere except on eBay.

https://www.polisport.com/en/off-ro...ctane-20l-fuel-tank-with-fill-hose_p3952.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384006746191

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Get a Fantastic Fan or similar and mount it in the rear roof or rear sides/door. My van had a DIY bulkhead that was nowhere near sealed but with the fan I never got a whiff of fuel in the front.