1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v1-2-3 wera vs ahrma

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by K George, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Jim Swartout

Jim Swartout Well-Known Member

I believe the horse is now dead, but one last clarification
    for my knowledge. The Wera Vintage V1 rules
    state pre-1973, therefore the latest date would be
    1972 model year. The information I can find on the
    CB350 had a drum in 1972 which is the way my 1972
    Honda was equiped. It was the 1973 model (CB350G)
    with a disc.

Also on the Suzuki GT250 I could only find information
    regarding 1973 and later with the disc brake. Was
    the GT250K the first with a disc?

When did the disc brake show up on the GT250?

Thanks

2. K George

K George Well-Known Member

deisel your missing the point im not a ahrma racer im a wera racerhave been for 18 years how long you been racing this thread was directed at v1-2 guys not really vvvvvvvvv3 slip of the finger . it was to get some input on the rules ... looks like any bodi running stock fenders seat ect no fairing wants it to stay the same and the ones running vintage fairings not turkey pans for catchs. wouldnt mind the change . since they cant run sportsman any way .with out removing it i say since the cut off date incorperats disks it should be an option not manditory. since the high drums work as good or better than disks why not...........

3. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

jim,
    wera uses manufacture date not model year. a 73 model year bike could have been built 10/72. there are rd250's that were made in 72. i have a drum on my 250gp bike and if i race any V1 this year of course ill run a drum. dont care for them much.
    its never a dead issue as long as their are rule change proposal periods.:)

4. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

tim,
    i believe disc brakes are quite spiritual on cb350's and othe V1 bikes. you old farts can correct me, but werent disc brakes being raced in 72. ive only seen pics, too young to have been there.:D

5. K George

my 73 gt 250 was made in 10.72 this makes it legal for v1-2 it got a disk the same with the cb350 . right or wrong?

6. K George

im sorry i wasnt able to bring this up earler but i havent recived my 2003 rule book yet! i thought this would be the time to adress this stuff i wasnt able to attend the gnf witch i understand rules were dicussed because i got taken out at summiy point in july by a cartwheeling 100mph fzr400.that ended my year by the way it was the last lap and was running 5th on v5 suzuki in the dsup expert race but im healed and the bikes healed and building a v1-2 bike .just tryn to save some money on getting it legal for both wera-ahrma thankls kenny george wera ex#93

7. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Your right ,this the place to chat about these things and no one is getting bent,but seeing v-1,2,3 is almost the same as ahrma's sportsmen classes if you get ahrma to change to disc in 350 and 500 then we might think about it.On a small bike like that a disc is not going to be a big advantage at all.I believe I have proved that with the little 500 winning 750 sport many times and it has a freebe dime a dozen conicial hub.If we put disc on for v-1-2 then we can't run sportsmen 350-500.In ahrma you do have f-250 to run with a disc but wera we my need to think about letting small f-250 bikes in with the disc.The only other place is f-500 and run wat you brung.mybe NF would be the place to try it?It's up to the big cheese and the VRC.

8. Jim Swartout

Jim Swartout Well-Known Member

Kevin/Scott:

Thanks for the clarification on the date. This clears up
    some of my confusion. I recommend submitting a
    rule change to the Wera Vintage Organization.
    If the stock caliper and disc are required I don't
    see that as an issue. If the person want to
    run V1 and Formula 250 OK. If a person runs
    V1 and 350 Sportsman, then run the drum.
    I haven't used a 1973 disc, but I doubt a single
    front disc would have very little advantage.

I might change my vote to a stock caliper and disc
    from the production bike for V1. But this doesn't matter
    because I don't vote on rules anyway.

9. K George

thanks for the input guys .thats my point the stock single disk has no advantage over a good drum set up i have a lot to do to get it ready with out having to change the brakes and was hoping since it came with adisk and met the cut off date i could run it... I didnt even notice the drum rule till i was knee deep in this project i saw the cut off and went by that.. racers wanting to run the sportsman ahrma class can use there drum set up and when i run ahrma ill run in f250 where the disks are legal. i just didnt want to get into this issue after the season started .who can give me i ruling on this so i can get on with the project. thanks again kenny georgeex#93

10. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

I've only been racing for 4 years now... started in '99. But it only took one afternoon back in '97 to read the rulebook and understand that V1 and V2 only allowed drums. That's why I figured you were new to WERA.

11. K George

Deisel the drum rule isnt listed with theclass cutoffs and displacment and i over looked the drum part didnt see it to i looked for wheel size limits thats when this thread started....at the time i thought that it had adisk its in the cutoff im ok on that...i had already orderd body work , carbs pistons ect.ect. If i have too buy a drum setup i will but its gonna hurt due to axle size and no povition for drum stop on lower legs its almost easyer to put a nother front end ... im still lookn at differt set ups. I still wish the drum or disk rules were less cut and dry. No hard feelings just lookn at more money in a bike thatis already hard to find parts for. And by the way i due all my own work and any body thats seen my vintage5 bike will tell you im very anal about how stuff is done . i spent 2 years building that 1 and way too much money . thanks for all the help . kenny george EX# 93

12. K George

ps I beleave its the only class in any kind of racing that wont let you run at lest the stock brake if its with in the cut off. i run some vintage mx too on atm 125 for fun..

13. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

QUOTE "who can give me i ruling on this so i can get on with the project"

Well- lets see... I have the rule book right here
    and it says you MUST use a drum brake to run V1 and V2 in WERA Vintage.... I guess that pretty much answers your question.... right??

Buff

so I missed your last post K, but hey I was just trying to make it simple. Hope you can get your stuff together so you can race- many of us started with inferior brakes and then time and money permitting moved on to a better one. A standard drum will not be too expensive and even a water buffalo 4LS can be had for under $200. Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 15, 2002
  14. K George

rigggggggghhhhht BUFFy

15. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

16. K George

thats what it was 2plug wires lololololol had givema sportn chance.. lokn foward to this year with the run as many as you want rule!!!

17. K George

man how lucky can i get .. I guy came by and bought up all my old harley parts today. So i ordered up some very trick drums and stuff.just the (BRAKE) i needed... pun intended...../lol someone up above likes me.. to those who were helpful THANKS...... this is now a dead thread....LOL not to be cofused with a deadhead...TO those who got bent out of shape and were less than helpful BAD CARMA will be your just reward..........kenny george EX#93

18. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I just saw a front wheel for a Water Buffalo sell for $380. It went in less than 20 min. after it was posted. ( buy it now price) How can that expense be justified. If you add the price of a good rim and lace job, it could be more than the cost of a years entry fee. If it came with a disc I say race it with one. You can get a good complete front end wheel brakes, and new tire for that price.

19. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Brake cost

Hey, F-Rd allows a single front disc, They are CHEAP Come on over we will welcome you!

20. K George

FIREBALL I WILL ALWAYS AGREE THAT IF IT CAN WITH 1 BY THE CUT OFF RACE IT THEY ARE PEOPLE WITH BIKES THAT COULD BE RACING BUT CANT BECAUSE OF THIS RULE....