1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V Star 1100 final drive will not come off

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Scotty87, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Agreed to change a couple tires and brake pads for a buddies kid, stuff was way past the point of dangerous.

As much of a pain in the ass as it's been to this point (aint shaft drive great) it's only getting worse. I can not remove the housing from the hub. It'll wiggle an 1/8" of an inch or so, then nothing. Everything in my experience and youtube videos with this particular bike they just pop right off. Frustrated. WTF is going on?

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Never-mind, got it. Figured a bitchy forum post would get me there. Even pressure on opposite sides did the trick.

God I hate working on other people's shit.

3. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Used to change them all the time at shop and ran into it couple of times. Think it was lack of grease on drive gears in hub and diff. Think I had to gently go around perimeter with pry bar lifting little at a time. Also where shaft goes into diff I had one strip spline from lack of grease so maybe a benefit to pull shaft out of there and throw some grease on splines and grease hub as well.

418 likes this.
  4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've had a few that I had to wiggle out with a couple small bars, not uncommon.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Is there a clip on the shaft or does it just float in the mating spline?

6. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

They can be stubborn, for sure. Remembering back to my dealership days, there is a particular tightening sequence when reassembling the final drive in the swinger. Some (when not torqued properly) would make a loud creaking/cracking sound when moving (wheel splines binding even when lubed properly). I might still have the FDM if you need.

7. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

I don't remember if there was a clip or free floating or not it has be 10 + years and that was the only one I had strip. I think I did get service manager to offer this with the tire change though for a couple extra tenths labor just to help insure it did not happen later down the road. I think I was just taking the 4 nuts off the front of dif and wiggle shaft out with the housing throw some grease on both ends and install. Again been forever so there may have been another step in there just do not recall.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

My VTX called for a moly lube in those splines FWIW.