1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the back brake

Discussion in 'General' started by Bones74, May 14, 2008.

1. Bones74

Bones74 Official Back Marker.

Anyone use the back brake? I have been told both stories. But after watching my 400th race, I notice that almost all the riders do. I have a dirt bike back ground also and that just make sense. Especially coming into a turn from a long straight. Thanks Guys and Ladies.:)

2. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

yep, depending on the corner/braking situation

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

There are way fewer people using the back brake than you might think. In general, people you see 'backing it in' are not using the brake to do so, they're using the clutch. There are some very fast people who never use it, and there are some who use it a lot. I'd do whatever is comfortable to you.

4. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

It the pits the Zuma skids really good with rear brake only.... scares the low and flat hat off of Drew every time!

5. Bones74

That's just wrong Monte:D

6. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Where's the back brake? :D

7. Bones74

That's my response.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It't the pedal that looks sort of like the shifter, but on the wrong side.

9. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

haha, gets me every time for sure!

10. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

No wonder I couldn't get the damn thing out of second gear. Must be because I'm left handed and all. :D

11. Bones74

Dyslexic:up:

12. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

i use it going over small elevation changes instead of chopping the throttle and trying to figure out how much or when i just tab the back brack to keep the wheel on the ground and keep truckin.

13. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

I guarantee you in V1 at least, stuck with drum brakes, we use the front brake, the back brake, downshifting the engine, and dragging our feet...

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I do as I let off the throttle to limit chassis dive, and let off before I start to trail in.

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I use the back brake off-roading. :D

16. otistillman

otistillman Well-Known Member

I use it when I'm standing on pit lane waiting to go out

17. jgalt

jgalt Well-Known Member

I don't use the rear on my sport bikes, but I use it a lot on my DRZ/SM. I don't think about it, it just seems natural. I will soon try it at the track to see if it will help.

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I honestly have never thought of using it. I am sure it really has it's uses on the racetrack but I was never shown in what instances to use them. I recall one racer told me he uses it in every turn to slow down. I am not sure if he used it trail braking or just initial bite or whatever. If I were to guess I would say that it has it's uses mid-corner if you are still too hot in a turn after the suspension has had time to settle a little. I am probably wrong but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it during a trackday to get used to using it or what instances to use.It's just one more thing to pay attention to to try and make you a faster rider.

19. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

I can make long black lines with it in front of my friends. Its really cool if you circle around and make a X. Try tictactoe. Seriously, I couldn't answer that question till I found myself using it. So I use mine. Just an automatic thing. I use my clutch and I try not to but years of street riding and I can't stop.

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Only in Grass Sand and Gravel..... And I still bust my Ass....