1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using an old smartphone as a forward facing camera...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Aug 22, 2019.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

20190822_210345.jpg

I'm cheap! I have to improvise!

Anybody else do this?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Idjits

4. dtalbott

Because I can't afford a real forward facing camera, so I have to make do with what I have.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But how much video can it actually hold?

6. dtalbott

First test run says about 30 minutes before it loops and keeps recording.

7. dtalbott

Just changed the setting to record one hour before looping.

8. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Off topic a bit, but after reading the sticker on your dash I'm curious if you have a certain temperature that you keep the truck running to avoid fuel gelling.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Are you looking to start like one of those Russian dash-cam Youtube pages?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BHP41 likes this.
  10. dtalbott

Antigel in the fuel tanks for the truck and the reefer when the temp drops, and keep the APU running when the truck is shut off.

I've never been told to keep it running, and it shuts itself off after about 10 minutes.

11. dtalbott

Can I make money at that?

Phl218 likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’ve got a $159 Garmin dash cam that takes 256GB SD cards, will record at 1080p with audio, at 143MB/minute.

Ran the same card for my recent trip to Omaha and Sioux Falls and still had 83GB of space left.

dtalbott likes this.
  13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Not a good practice. Use anti gel additives to do what you need them to. It's not to say your fuel won't gel anyway if there isn't enough returned fuel to warm the fuel faster than the tank dissipates it. I see gelled trucks every year from down south come up when we get a cold snap and they line the highways. Not to mention now you throw emissions shit on the trucks and it adds to that problem. Fuel up here when blended for winter starts giving people problems around 0* if not treated further.

dtalbott likes this.
  14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

But why so long? If it's for accident footage prposes I'm thinking a 15-30 minute loop is all you need.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

A decent dashcam is $50 and probably has better night vision . Stop smoking for a couple days and get something that works better for you.

Sent from my smatrfone

BTW there are apps that can use your old phone as a house cam.

dtalbott likes this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

There's [inhumanely sized] fat chicks that make videos on the internet gorging themselves on 10's of thousands of calories of food in a sitting that sickos pay money to watch (and probably beat off to).....you can make money at damn near anything if you market it properly to the correct demographic.

K51000 and dtalbott like this.
  17. dtalbott

I don't know.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Golden Corral has a webcam?!? :confused:

OP, I've had a Falcon Zero F170 for going on 4 years or so in the windshield in the Texas heat all day every day and it still works fine. 1080 records at ~5.5 GB per hour, so a 256 gig SD card will record almost 50 hours before looping.

dtalbott likes this.
  19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sometimes you need footage of a particular date/place/time to prove that you DIDN'T hit someone, run them off the road, or other bullshit accusation.

dtalbott likes this.
  20. dtalbott

And you don't have access to the company dash cam and you want your own proof.