1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Truck Advice: 04-06 F-150 or Tundra?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tiller15, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

We had a 2003 4x4 SR5 Tundra, the only thing other than routine fluid changes was an O2 sensor. We had 220k miles, the interior held up pretty well.
    I routinely towed 3 bikes in a 6x12 dual axle. Never had an issue.

If it wasn't a company car (tax code 179 right off) I would have kept it

2. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I've nailed down on an 06 Tundra double cab TRD off road 4x4..

3. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Tundra, hands down.

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The only problem finding a Tundra is guys KEEP their Tundras.

5. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

My company bought a fleet of the f150s of that generation, 10+ trucks. 300,000 miles on some of them and I never heard of any of them having any engine problems. I had one as well and it was a solid truck.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you have $17K to spend you should easily find an '08+ Tundra with the 5.7. The 4.7 is fine too, major difference to me is the need for a tbelt change every 100K. For that reason I'd look for one just OVER 100K with the belt changed already.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Also be aware that Toyota still offered the 4.7 as an option for a couple years after the 5.7 was available (08).

8. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Yes, timing belt needs to be changed every 90-100k and might as well do water pump, tensioner, etc. at same time. This will run about $700-800 at dealer.

9. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

loved my 2014 Tundra:beer:

Attached Files:

• trd.jpg
      trd.jpg
      File size:
      269.1 KB
      Views:
  10. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

the 04-06 tundra was more of a small truck with a v8, i'd pick the f150 over that for that particular year. The 07+ tundra is a different ball game, they actually made them a truck that was useable. I'm on my second one and still love it.

11. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I think the older gen tundra is the same size as my 09 Tacoma but with a V8. It's not tiny but it is a different animal than the current gens. I have a 2014 Tundra (30000 miles) and have no complaints minus the 15 MPG.

12. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I checked out the 06 I've been eyeing and it's everything I hoped it'd be. 96k, one-owner and the timing belt, water, pump, and all was done at 85k (receipt to prove along with sticker on the intake that the dealer put on there. Hell, the guy still has the original window sticker!

It drove and shifted great. I know y'all keep saying it's a small truck compared to the f-150, but understand I am coming from a 04 Ford Explorer, so it's huge for that. It's actually longer than an 04 f-150 screw because of the longer bed. I sat in the backseat with tons of room (I'm 6'2") and also have sat in f-150 and the Tundra only feels slightly more narrow than the Tundra.

I get that the 07+ is beefier and more of a "truck", but this gen is still plenty capable for what I'm doing with it. And only towing a 7x12 w/ 1 bike should not be an issue..

13. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

That was the 2000-03 Tundra, then later with the Tacoma. Involved 110,000 vehicles. Problem was with a rear frame cross-member.

2004-06 Tundra was recalled due to ball joint problems in Tundra and Sequoia, some 550,000 vehicles. It is suspected to be a cause of 11 - count 'em, 11 - accidents.

Locally, the less-than-full-size Tuundras are called 7/8 trucks due to their somewhat smaller size. Early F series Fords were also a bit smaller than previous body styles.
    Class action suit involved owners being charged over $300 for spark plug replacement on the 2003-06 Ford 5.4l in the F- series pick-up, Expeditions, etc. Settlement is prorated on the amount one paid for the work. Up to $300, no settlement. Over $300 was a sliding scale that would get you, say, 50% of the amount over that $300 threshold.

I received a notice of this a few days ago. Tossed it 'cuz I no longer own the truck involved.

14. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Great news, Tiller. Glad you liked the truck. The 6.5' bed was a big feature when the DC came out. All of the other crew cabs had 5.5' beds at that time, of course now they all have it. I also really like the roll down rear window, use it all the time.

Everything in I see on the web says you are correct, yet I got a letter from Toyota for the frame recall for my 2004 Tundra and the dealership did the inspection & applied the rustproofing.

15. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

When it comes to ford if it has a 4.6 or 5.4 then I would want nothing to do with it regardless of the chassie its installed in. The tundra 4.7L is nothing special but it works and doesn't break often. Tundra wins.

16. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I owned a 2005 F150 for 140,000 miles. Never had a single mechanical issue with it. Had the 5.4 motor. Fuel mileage is absolute shit however.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

4.6 and 5.4 Ford motors will last until the zombie apocalypse.

They do like coil packs every 175K miles and leave the damn spark plugs alone and you will be fine.

18. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

How do you leave them alone when they're a maintenance item?

19. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Leave them in the truck when you trade it for a tundra at the dealer. :crackup:

20. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Old Toyota's were notorious rust buckets. No idea what they're like in the last twenty years.

Also, I've seen rusty 2010 Ford F150's. Unbelievable.