1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, Oct 26, 2015.

1. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Anyone have an issue with selling used helmets? I have a bunch of Demo's that have about an hour in them. We cleaned and inspected them and they are 99.9% brand new condition.

I'll list them up in the for sale's if there isnt some weird unwritten law against selling them.

2. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

I sold rep samples for many years.
    Was always clear and up front and never had any issues.

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

From a liability stand point not just no, but hell no, but I'm not a lawyer. YMMV

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I realize you're a dealer so the implications are different, but I bought my last two Arai's that were barely used from guys here and I would be interested in what you have.

I say list them up in the classifieds, one racer selling to another.

5. TrackStar

They are listed. If I didnt know the exact history on all of them I wouldnt even think about it. I sold them new, I also service all of his bikes and know how many miles have been put on the gear since it was new. I feel more than confident that the stuff is in 99% condition minus a bug gut or 2 in a vent.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That won't matter if someone wants to sue.

7. TrackStar

For what?

Serious question.

People sell used everythings every day. I dont think there is any additional liability on anyone for doing it if the buyer knows the product is used unless they could prove negligence of some sort.

People buy used race bikes, if they crash them could they sue?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  8. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

It's not always about winning or losing. The cost of defending a lawsuit, frivolous or not, can bury a business.

That said, I've bought several used lids. But I have a $10 head.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's not that your responsibility changes depending on whether you are a private owner or a business. It's more about who the attorney filing the lawsuit things can pay. They might not waste their time going after your average guy who wouldn't be able to pay much, but they would be very interested in a business with a liability insurance policy. Anyway, there are quite a few lawyers who can explain it much better I can.

Oh, and negligence is in the eye of the jury. Do you want to take your chances with a jury? Remember: OJ walked. :D

10. TrackStar

I do service in my shop, you think selling a used helmet makes me nervous? Every fuckin squid that has ever bought a tire had it mounted and then crashed in the canyon is a bigger risk.

11. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

I would not sell a used helmet as a dealer.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

But I believe you do sell demos on STG, right ?

13. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Currently we are selling apparel items (gloves, jackets, suits) that were acquired in a bulk purchase that were overstock and or customer returns and have to be marked as "Special Buy" because many of them are current items that are still under MAP Policy. We make the "Special Buy" note a little stronger than it needs to be as requested by the brand. 99.9% is absolutely new in the package.

I am not concerned about the liability as this was all sourced directly, not from an individual. That would put the responsibility on the source and their insurance. Since they manufactured and designed the products who would be better to determine if they are good to go.

A used helmet is another story all together and it being in used condition could somehow relieve the manufacturer (Brand) of responsibility and place it on the seller. I say this because the helmet came from them in NEW condition. When I think of a lawsuit involving a helmet I think millions of dollars, with a suit for getting a little road rash a whole lot less. Of course all of this above is pure speculation and just my opinion.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, legal shit aside (I don't feel like getting into that right now) and my personal feelings on cooties and my phobia of someone so much as touching my helmet:

If someone wants to buy a demo lid and it gets them into a better quality lid than they'd normally buy, then sell 'em one! I'd rather see some dope in a demo Shoei/ Arai/ super premium lid than see yet another idiot wearing a Z1R, Vega or even a HJC CL-xx.

While he's there, sell him some damn decent gloves and maybe a leather jacket. I HATE those Texile jackets and gloves.

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

All legality aside if it's inspected I could give a shit.

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I have bough a few used helmets. Of these, I have only worn one as a primary helmet (including track day). I trusted the owner as well the make of the helmet.

All other helmets, were basically purchase as a collector or because I like the design (helmets that were year behind their service dates).

As others have suggested, as a dealer or in possession of liability insurance, no. You may be easy target.

17. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

So give them to a friend to sell for you.

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Distant friend. :D

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

OOOOOr sell one super dooper cheap to me because I ruined the Bell this weekend that he sold me a while back.

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

New or used?:D