1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on David Weber

Discussion in 'General' started by Matthillica, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Matthillica

Matthillica Member

I don't post here much, but I figured some of you might be interested in what's going on with David's recovery.

David crashed out of the Open Superstock race on Saturday in turn six. He lowsided avoiding a lapped rider just before he got to the turn and (we think) his bike landed on his leg and dragged it across the asphalt before he was sent into the gravel. The crash ripped his leathers apart at the knee and ate through his skin, the ligament over his kneecap and into the kneecap itself. He tells me that doctors were picking asphalt and rubber out of his leg for 45 minutes.

He was finally able to go see a doctor today and after looking at his knee, the doctor sent him to a plastic surgeon. The surgeon said he'd try to operate on the knee and close the wound by pulling the excess skin around his leg together to close it. David is having this done on Friday and, if all goes well, he'll be up and walking around in a few weeks.

The surgeon also said that there is about a 5% chance that the initial operation won't work and in that case, he will have to operate again by taking one of David's right calf muscles and moving it over the knee to increase blood flow. He'll then have to graft some skin from David's thigh over to the kneecap to seal things up.

In either case, it sounds a lot worse than it really is and all signs point to him being on a bike again in a month or so. At least it happened at the end of the year, right? :)

2. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

WOW!!! thanks for the update. My son was the cornerworker that picked up david and his bike, he was telling me that night that Davids knee looked REALLY bad.

Glad to hear that despite the severity of the injury, that David should heal up quickly.

3. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

That hurts make SURE HE DOES what the DOCS say on the recovery he does not want to mess with open wounds and skin graphs...Muscle graphs are a real bitch too... I was going to call him today but got busy..tell I said hi..

4. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

Matt,
    we packed up and went home early so I had no idea he crashed. Hopefully healing/recovery will go as quickly as David goes on the track!

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Get well soon Davie...:) 2007 is right around the corner.

6. Chip

Chip Registered

It would be a lot cooler if he got boobs while he was there....:D

7. Chip

Chip Registered

8. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

It must not be hurting that bad. I was going to drop him at the medical building and take his bike to his pit, but he wanted to go to his pit first. Guess he didn't want his leathers cut off. ;)

Hope it all works out. :up:

9. Casper&bones

Casper&bones Well-Known Member

get well soon David!!

10. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

Here's to a speedy recovery!:up:

11. Pavel

Pavel Well-Known Member

With the damage, I'm surprised that he could walk at all. Hope he recovers well.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

dayum.

13. teampolevault

teampolevault Well-Known Member

Get well soon David, do what the doctors say and hope to see you out there again in 07.
    Jody Stewart

14. Dunham

Dunham Well-Known Member

15. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update XT receptionist:)
    That hole in his knee was pretty nasty and he was obviously in a lot of pain after the get off. Unfortunately he's had the worse luck at RA lately. He did sound better on the phone last night, pain killers rock. Tell him Keith (not Marshall) will stop by later this week.

16. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

Eww! I knew David crashed, but didn't know he got hurt. David- heal fast, we have a long off season and a lot of birthdays ahead of us, which means plenty of excuses for Monday karting. :D

17. Matthillica

Matthillica Member

18. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Heal up quick David:up:

19. joehayes101

joehayes101 Well-Known Member

Get Well Soon, David.